Benmar Course Setter 21R Operator Manual Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AVALON

Vessel Name
AVALON
Vessel Make
Chien Hwa 35
Does anyone have a link to an owners manual or service manual for a Benmar Course Setter 21R Autopilot? I cant find anything online and dont think it fair that Benmar wants $22.00 plus shipping plus 15% tax for operating instructions on something they sell. Also, I'm not even sure they would have the correct one for my older unit. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have a link to an owners manual or service manual for a Benmar Course Setter 21R Autopilot? I cant find anything online and dont think it fair that Benmar wants $22.00 plus shipping plus 15% tax for operating instructions on something they sell. Also, I'm not even sure they would have the correct one for my older unit. Thanks in advance.
The manual is "intelectual property" so they have a right to charge you for it. And of course, they have to pay for printing and they may not sell all the ones they have printed so they have to cover that cost as well.

It's not fair to complain about the company charging you tax, that's your government charging the tax. And shipping? Well, unless you want to drive to the factory and pick it up, shipping is a legitimate charge. Somebody has to pay it.

Boating is not an inexpensive hobby so I suggest just ordering the manual from the company if you need it. Pay the $22+ and move on.

Ask if it's the correct manual for your unit before you order it.

I purchased the same manual several years ago. Had every thing in it to make my old unit operational. Well worth the money.

There tech help was also very good. Had to purchase a new cable between the "compass" and the main unit, set it up correctly, works good now.

Hope this helps.

rwidman, the right to operation instructions might be intellectual property, but that property goes hand in hand with the sale of the unit, and it's the right of any lawfull owner to have access to. It doesn't matter whether the price is $1.00 or $1000.00, charging for it again is unfair! Besides, I thought this forum was about boaters helping boaters and not someplace for opinionated blowhards to bash others.

rwidman, the right to operation instructions might be intellectual property, but that property goes hand in hand with the sale of the unit, and it's the right of any lawfull owner to have access to. It doesn't matter whether the price is $1.00 or $1000.00, charging for it again is unfair! Besides, I thought this forum was about boaters helping boaters and not someplace for opinionated blowhards to bash others.

No, it actually is a place for opinionated blowhards to bash others. :banghead:

Nobody offered you a bootleg copy so I was suggesting a way for you to get the information you apparently need.

As for the manual, I suspect an owner's or operator's manual and probably an installation manual was included with the original purchase. If you have misplaced these items, the manufacturer has a right to charge you for replacing them. They have a cost in doing this.

If you are talking about a service (repair) manual, many companies will not release that information to the public or even independent service shops. Other companies charge a hefty fee for service manuals.

Last edited:
Rwidman,
Go easy on Avalon. Can't you see he's Canadian? They expect free stuff. Avalon, here in the US if we expect companies to stay in business for us, we need to pay a reasonable cost. The $100 profit that they made in 1978 from the sale of the AP does not cover overhead 40 years later to print, ship, labor, Obamacare,, etc to send you a manual for free. Consider being thankful that they offer to sell one to you. By the way, I do need a manual. Will you make a copy of yours and send it to me please.

Rwidman,
Go easy on Avalon. Can't you see he's Canadian? They expect free stuff. Avalon, here in the US if we expect companies to stay in business for us, we need to pay a reasonable cost. The $100 profit that they made in 1978 from the sale of the AP does not cover overhead 40 years later to print, ship, labor, Obamacare,, etc to send you a manual for free. Consider being thankful that they offer to sell one to you. By the way, I do need a manual. Will you make a copy of yours and send it to me please.

Hold on here. Don't put him with us regular folk North of the border. We're quite accustomed to paying for things.

Your absolutely right. By the way, I found a Benmar Manual. If anybody needs a copy, email me and I will scan and forward. It is very detailed.

samnigro@lpgnw.com

Even you Avalon, do you still need a manual? I assume not as this post was four years ago. But email me and I will scan and send.

Back
Top Bottom