Onboard coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Conrad wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

I'm into simplicity and portability. The simple filter cone (melita style) works for me. Just add filter coffee and boiling water. Found a site that sells ceramic (don't like plastic ones) filter cones and filters in several different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.

Sweet Maria's Filters Cones

Ted
There a number of good options available at that site. Ted, why your preference for ceramic over plastic? Better taste? My only concern would be breakage.

Ceramic cleans up much better than plastic. My favorite mug is 25+ years old and ceramic. After over 5,000 cups of coffee, the surface inside and out is as good as new. Plastic cups and mugs are best not looked at too closely after a hundred uses or so.

I have 2 of their ceramic cones (#1 & #2). They are very heavy with a thick coating. While I can't guaranty they won't break when their dropped on concrete, repeated tests at my house prove they won't break when dropped on wood floors.
disbelief.gif

Ted

O C Diver wrote:

Conrad wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

I'm into simplicity and portability. The simple filter cone (melita style) works for me. Just add filter coffee and boiling water. Found a site that sells ceramic (don't like plastic ones) filter cones and filters in several different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.

Sweet Maria's Filters Cones

Ted
There a number of good options available at that site. Ted, why your preference for ceramic over plastic? Better taste? My only concern would be breakage.

Ceramic cleans up much better than plastic. My favorite mug is 25+ years old and ceramic. After over 5,000 cups of coffee, the surface inside and out is as good as new. Plastic cups and mugs are best not looked at too closely after a hundred uses or so.

I have 2 of their ceramic cones (#1 & #2). They are very heavy with a thick coating. While I can't guaranty they won't break when their dropped on concrete, repeated tests at my house prove they won't break when dropped on wood floors.
disbelief.gif

Ted

Thanks for the feedback Ted; certainly agree with your comment about ceramic mugs but actually had never run across ceramic filter cones before.*

Woodsong wrote:

Now the big question is- what brand coffee??? For me- Dunkin Donuts coffee is just about the best to be had. How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
+1 for DD

Ted

*Costco Kirkland brand coffee 100% Columbian at 3# for $9.95 is the best coffee for the money IMHO.* Brewed any way you want.* It's especially good at the mountain cabin perked while the bacon is frying.* However, coffee on a boat is good anytime.

Woodsong wrote:

How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
I couldn't agree more. We went there once, but I only had $10, so we shared a cup.

8 O'Clock 100% Colombian* whole bean, freshly ground. I used to work for Continental Coffee Company and got very familiar with the various basic coffees and blends. Colombian is always a winner! The best blends out there? McDonalds and Dunkin' Doughnuts.

Gee this thread has gotten almost as much activity as running a twin boat, single engine.

I love my boat coffee, but I'm pretty simple when it comes to brewing. I won't start the genny to brew coffee, so I use a portable butane single burner and a coleman drip coffee maker with dunkin donuts coffee. Works pretty well for me.

At home we have the k-cup with the insert so have dunkin donuts coffee at home too.

Now I want some of this morvelous Dunkin' Doughnuts coffee. I wonder if we can get it here?

I also have problems passing a Dunkin Donuts store, but during seven years in the Dominican Republic, I got hooked on Santo Domingo coffee, and I haven't found a better way to prepare it than in the traditional Italian Expresso Greca, pictured here. *Once, while in Herabacoa, a mountain town in the center of the country, I was served coffee with beans fresh roasted and ground off the bushes of the property. *It's one of those experiences I've looked to repeat ever since.

Attachments

• greca.jpg
    greca.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 67
RE: Onboard coffee OR NAVY COFFEE

This is a last ditch effort to make a mug of coffee.
One table spoon of *ground coffee per mug or to taste

All you need is a small*plastic kitchen wire strainer.

Boil up a little more than a mug of water, to allow for evaporation .
Add one table spoon of ground coffee water to pot .
Note :- *Water must be off the boil.
Stir
wait 4 minutes
Pour coffee through Wire Strainer into your favorite mug.
Then Party .

Big Hotels boil up 5 gallons of water add + / - *1 lb ground coffee *and strain the grain , for 100 cups.
They don't have 30 Mr Coffee machines

Wow, I never expected such a wealth of replies. I guess we all love our coffee! Thanks for all the advice. I decided to buy a French press type coffee maker and will let people know how it works out. Here's the link: http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

According to various reviews this device is supposed to make great coffee but only if the water temperature is just right. So I bought one of those $5 thermometers that clip on the side of a cup. It uses a disposable filter - $3.50 for 350 of them which is enough to last at least a week or so.
biggrin.gif

Again, thanks for all the responses.

You can also make turkish coffee... get a little turkish coffee pot, some turkish coffee (very fine grind, like a powder), toss it in the little pot with water, cook it, and pour the water off slowly, leaving the sludge at the bottom.

Or just chew some beans in your mouth, then take a swig of water and swish it all around in your mouth... (yes, I am addicted to coffee...)
:)

We simply must have coffee on board. We use a Farberware percolator pot. Takes about 6 minutes to brew a pot. The coffee we like is Folgers Black Silk. In fact, we've switched from a drip Mr. Coffee at home to another identical Farberware coffee pot. There's nothing like percolated coffee.

reefdrifter wrote:

We simply must have coffee on board. We use a Farberware percolator pot. Takes about 6 minutes to brew a pot. The coffee we like is Folgers Black Silk. In fact, we've switched from a drip Mr. Coffee at home to another identical Farberware coffee pot. There's nothing like percolated coffee.
<h3>Bob and Arlene, we have switched back to a percolator at home and the mountain cabin.* On the boat we still use drip, but thinking about going to a percolator there also.* Try Costco Kirkland 100% Columbian 3# 9.95* Really Good.
</h3>

Last summer, walking back from dinner ashore in Sidney, BC the Commodore pulled me into a small kitchen store a couple of blocks from the marina. They were deminstrating the Nespresso machine and offered us each a latte. We are from Seattle, so of course we know coffee.
The next morning, before we got underway, we bought the Nespresso and it is great. Makes perfect coffee and has the best milk foaming attachment around. We have had several real espresso machines (Delongi and Gagia) and the Nespresso is cheaper, faster and better. You are stuck buying the coffee pods from Nespresso (a brand of Nestle) but this is the only system that brews the perfect mocha that the Commodore requires to keep Endeavor a happy ship.
Best,

Greg & Elaine Dahl
MV Endeavor
Grand BAnks 42 Classic Trawler
Anacortes, WA USA

Enough about coffee...let's see who among you actually knows how to make a decent cup of tea.

Now Missus will that be billy tea u are after.
1 Start Fire
2 boil billy
3. Chuck in a big hand full of Bushells tea
4. let it boil a little and then take it off the fire
5. Hold billy with handle and swing in 360 deg circle for about 6 full vertical swings.(please don't scald yourself)
6. let billy sit
7 Pour tin cups of good strong tea
8 sweeten as required with good bush honey

Benn

Back to COFFEE - YUMMM!!

Coffee is good for your intestines, blood system, muscles, and brain! It increases perception, expedites bowels and keeps your eyes wide open to see flotsam from the bridge. Makes you pee more often, therefore smile more often, and check your gauges more often... once you return form peeing that is - LOL

The way we co-addict our coffee brew and consumption:

1. Purchase best coffee (beans or pre ground) money can buy, i.e. most affordable real-good coffee brand for an affordable sale price at grocery store!
2. Fire up gen set
3. Place filled stainless hot water kettle with whistle-pour-spout onto electric stove turn burner on high
4. Place 6 cup glass coffee pot with filtered and filled drip funnel on top of counter
5. Pour boiling water into ground coffee in filter at coffee pot top
6. Pour two huge thermal-insulated coffee drinking mugs full... cream sugar as desired
7. DRINK COFFEE!!!!
8. Repeat until it becomes difficult to blink!!!

Honestly We LOVE coffee, drinking a mug right now. Wife and I usually go through about 20 OZ of beans weekly real close to, if not already, coffee addict status.

tea??? To make a decent cup of tea you FIRST start off by drinking a good cup of coffee.....

Woodsong wrote:
tea??? To make a decent cup of tea you FIRST start off by drinking a good cup of coffee.....
Actually just the reverse is true...If you know the right way to make tea, you can even get a passable cup of coffee using one of those "tea bags" full of coffee flavored floor sweepings.

Of course you DO have to know what good tea is supposed to taste like...and look like!

I'm with you there Peggy. I like the Twinings brand, varying between Irish and English breakfast, often Earl Gey, and sometimes Lady Grey or Traditional Afternoon. However, when I really need a 'whack' I even like Lapsang Sushong, even tho' it smells like scrappings off a tar-sealed road - definitely an acquired taste. (it's actually smoked)
I prefer the leaf versions at home, but out on the boat will settle for the bagged versions. Made by adding water just off the boil, and on the bag for 3-4 minutes, I find 5 a bit long. And yes, done right even a coffee bag coffee can be acceptable, but does need longer on the bag - in fact I sometimes just leave it in.
What do you do....?

Peter,
I can see that you were not brought up in the bush on good strong billy tea.
I don't drink a lot of tea these days but if ever there is a fire going on the beach I am sure quick to put a billy on the boil and always have a 1/4 Kg of tea leaves on board.
Also carry a lot of Twinings tea bags for the quick fix and always honey not sugar for a sweetner.

Still stand by the nespresso machine as the best coffee maker for on board my preferences are Roma, Brasil,Colombia,Fortissio and Vivalto.

Benn

Gimme a crust of bread and a V-8 and I'm ready to go until lunch.

Peter B wrote:I'm with you there Peggy. I like the Twinings brand, varying between Irish and English breakfast, often Earl Gey, and sometimes Lady Grey or Traditional Afternoon. However, when I really need a 'whack' I even like Lapsang Sushong, even tho' it smells like scrappings off a tar-sealed road - definitely an acquired taste. (it's actually smoked)

I prefer the leaf versions at home, but out on the boat will settle for the bagged versions. Made by adding water just off the boil, and on the bag for 3-4 minutes, I find 5 a bit long. And yes, done right even a coffee bag coffee can be acceptable, but does need longer on the bag - in fact I sometimes just leave it in.
What do you do....?
If forced to use a coffee bag, I use only BOILING water, then cover the cup and let it steep for several minutes. .then remove the bag or the coffee will be bitter. Just dunking the bag till the water turns brown--which most people do--only results in just that--brown water, not coffee OR tea.

Water must also be boiling to make decent tea. Of all the U.S. teas, Twinings (the brand may be British, but the version sold here is blended for the "American palate" and packaged in NC) is the best, but wouldn't impress a Brit.

Years ago, I dated a Brit who insisted that I learn to make and also appreciate a GOOD cup of tea..* It's so much stronger and has so much more flavor than anything blended for the "American Palate" that it really takes some getting used to, but once you develop a taste for it, you can never go back.* When I lived in Atlanta, I always knew someone who was in and out of the UK regularly and could bring me back Marks and Spencer black tea and Pure Kenyan, which is one of my favorites for iced tea (the very thought of iced tea horrifies most Brits)...and I love Fortnum and Mason "Royal Blend."* Since moving to AR, I've been forced to rely on online sources, which are expensive but worth it, to me anyway.

So I admit it...I'm a tea snob. But I redeem myself by finding nothing whatever wrong with boxed wines. :)

Still stand by the nespresso machine as the best coffee maker for on board my preferences are Roma, Brasil,Colombia,Fortissio and Vivalto.

Benn

which one of the nespresso machines do you have?

looking online seems to be boatloads of different machines.

also does it use the pods or regular ground coffee?

headmistress wrote:but i redeem myself by finding nothing whatever wrong with boxed wines. :)
omg!!!

I usually have instant with plenty of vanilla creamer, so with the creamer it all tastes the same.* We have a fancy drip machine and we use Folgers.* If they want something else they can bring their own coffee and/or machine.* Our daughter when she comes she brings her fancy Latte machine and Starbucks coffee.* Starbucks tastes burnt to me?* **

The reason I drink coffee in the morning is ½ hour later I have to use the head, so it keep me regular,*and with the creamer and sugar give me a jump start in the morning.* Caffeine and sugar high.* My wife and I both get migraines from to much coffee and/or tea.* More than two cups I get vision migraines which are not painful, but hers are painful. Seems females have migraines more than males, and passed on by the mother.**Debe's mother, Debe, our daughters and our granddaughters get*migrains.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 14th of March 2011 12:23:41 PM

Phil Fill wrote:

The reason I drink coffee in the morning is ½ hour later I have to use the head, so it keep me regular,*and with the creamer and sugar give me a jump start in the morning.* Caffeine and sugar high.* My wife and I both get migraines from to much coffee and/or tea.* More than two cups I get vision migraines which are not painful, but hers are painful.-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 14th of March 2011 12:23:41 PM
Are we on the verge of too much information here?
redface.gif

Per,

I have the Delonghi EN95 small and compact with the seperate milk.warmer/creamer.
It uses the nespressor capsuls of which there are over 18 varities some of which are decaf.
When I got mine it came with a capsule of each coffee so I had a play off giving each a score out of 10 .
Picked a final 5 of which I now order on a regular basis.

Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom