Lord Nelson Victory Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Trawler Veterans,
I am starting to research my first trawler. My previous boating experience has been limited to jon boats, fishing boats, ect. I am looking for a crusing boat (think Great Loop) that would be comfortable for my wife and me, with the occational guest or two. I would appreciate your expert opinions on the Lord Nelson Victroy Tugs 37'. It seems to be the one I keep coming back to. Head room is important to me (6'4") and I like the layout very much. I understand they had some problems with the BMW diesels. How seaworthy is it? Would you take one to the Bahamas? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

P.S. I also like the Nordic Tugs 32' and Island Gypsy 36' Sedan. Any thoughts on those would be appreciated also.

Jon.* Welcome to the Trawler Forum!

Like the looks and quality of the Lord Nelson, not sure of the headroom.

Have you checked out the Pilgram40, another cool classic.

I am sure you will get lots of info from this group on your chosen boats.

This is a great Sounding Board.

Cheers* JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 02:59:22 PM

Thanks JohnP,
From the info I have found the headroom in a LNVT is 6'6". How is the headroom in your IG 32?

Jon

Headroom is close to 6'4"*I Think.

Pilgram 40s* have a* Westerbeke100.* as original.

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 03:22:07 PM

Attachments

• ig 32 specs.jpg
    ig 32 specs.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 380
Side-deck width of 8 inches is too narrow.

markpierce wrote:

I can not believe this number is right!* My boat is a lot older the Walts.
Actually probably a totally different boat, so I hope he lets us know if that is the true number.

JohnP

JohnP wrote:I can not believe this number is right!* My boat is a lot older the Walts.
Actually probably a totally different boat, so I hope he lets us know if that is the true number.
The previous specs I posted were from an article written in 1995, so various IG 32s may, indeed, be different. For example, my boats fuel capacity is 200 gals and the water capacity is 100 gallons. Since my boat is not a Europa, the side decks are probably narrower than the IG 32 Europa. I just don't know. Hopefully, dwhatty will chime in on this as he has a 2001 IG 32 Europa.

These are the only photos I have of side decks and I must say that they look like 8" decks. I will confirm that tomorrow.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 04:26:09 PM

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 380
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 586
JohnP wrote:

markpierce wrote:

I can not believe this number is right!* My boat is a lot older the Walts.

JohnP
Different, yes. I can turn my size 11 1/2 clodhoppers sideways on our sidedecks and still have a little room. Narrow, but manageable.

Thanks GonzoF1,
Yes it is. It is one of the ones I have been studying. Do you think she is seaworthy? Crossing to the Bahamas?

Thanks, Jon

I wouldn't pretend to know any more than what I have seen in passing on the dock, but I can say that it's being cared for and isn't falling apart. It also gets a LOT of traffic from potential buyers. I doubt it will last too much longer. I think it was under contract once already, but financing fell thru. Captain Tim Nichols (JMYS) on this forum is the listing agent for it. He can surely tell you more than I can. If you want, I can take a peek inside and give you an unbiased and independent opinion of it.

Tom-

Tom,
I would love for you to take a peek inside the LNVT if you get a chance. Your unbiased and independent opinion would be welcome.
Thanks,
Jon

I looked at them while I was shopping and considered the BMW power to be sort of an unknown and potential parts problem. Also the BMW LN is overpowered. I found one and maybe 2 that had a 4cyl Cummins and I would look hard for one of those if I were you.The LN has much draft aft and low windage and tons of freeboard fwd and much less draft fwd. All the ones I saw had a bow thruster and I suspect the manufacturer didn't let them out the door without them. They look like a very heavy boat like the tug they impersonate but they are quite light and their crossection is more round than my Willard so they may roll so much it could at least explain why ther's so many on the market. However * *....they practically stand alone as a true full displacement hull that will cruise on about 30-35hp. So if this is important to you I'd look hard at it. If you're looking largely because of the tug style I'd look elsewhere.
Oh * ...how's the visibility from the wheelhouse?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 07:48:29 PM

I have been onboard a couple of these vessels at boat shows.
Engine room access could be a bear depending on the motor. You actually fold back some cabinets in the galley to get at it if I remember right.

Also, the steps to the forward berth are pretty steep as well as the decks from pilothouse to the bow. Of course this is in your favor if water is coming over the bow!

Never been on one while underway, so I have no Idea if they are rolly, but would expect so.

nomadwilly wrote:

I looked at them while I was shopping and considered the BMW power to be sort of an unknown and potential parts problem. Also the BMW LN is overpowered. I found one and maybe 2 that had a 4cyl Cummins and I would look hard for one of those if I were you.
The LN has much draft aft and low windage and tons of freeboard fwd and much less draft fwd. All the ones I saw had a bow thruster and I suspect the manufacturer didn't let them out the door without them. They look like a very heavy boat like the tug they impersonate but they are quite light and their crossection is more round than my Willard so they may roll so much it could at least explain why ther's so many on the market. However * *....they practically stand alone as a true full displacement hull that will cruise on about 30-35hp. So if this is important to you I'd look hard at it. If you're looking largely because of the tug style I'd look elsewhere.
Oh * ...how's the visibility from the wheelhouse?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 07:48:29 PM
Eric,
Thanks for the info. I do like the tug style, what do you think about the Nordic Tugs 32? There are several of them on the market and the pricing is similar to the LNVT. If not Nordic Tugs, which do you like?
Thanks, Jon

Someone named their boat after a Cirque de Sole' show?
wink.gif

I like Nordic Tugs a lot. Not much the 26 but the 32*** ..... I just about bought one. Don't know much about the 37 but the 32 really appeals to me. Don't like the bulsa core const but most all boats have that. They have no teak decks (and almost no other teak), Aluminum fuel tanks and a modern engine that's excellent w good parts availability. I turned my back on two that had old Yanmars and even the Yanmar people hardly knew what they were. That BMW in the LN could be a big problem. I don't really know though. Find the boat you really like and then put some effort into finding a really good surveyor. Then you're free to buy what you want.

I have to agree with Eric on this subject.

I love the Nordic Tug 32 but have not been on their other models. My only complaint is that the cockpit is too small. (Unlike real tugs) Why don't I have one? I bought my present boat before I had the opportunity to experience the NT 32. If I could roll the clock back I'd be driving one.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 158
Those Nordic tug are overpower.

-- Edited by septembre on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 02:37:33 PM

... because they are "go fast" (planing)*trawlers.

Jon
I would choose the 36 IG based on it being a better all around boat design IMHO. The lord Nelson and the Nordic tug are character boats. Nothing wrong with this if this is what you desire. There is nothing inherently "Seaworthy" in tug designs . People like them because they remind them of working craft. What many people don't understand is that tugs are some of the worst riding vessels out there. What makes them good for their mission (towing), makes them horrible at sea. Big, round bellied hulls that is taken up by engine room and fuel tankage. Before mega tow horse power came on scene, weight and draft was king.
The lord Nelson obviously doesn't take it to an extreme as would a working hull. But the low bulwarks , and round bottom are hardly the things comfortable sea boats are made of.
I am also 6'4 and I don't know what the headroom is on any of these boats. My preference is strictly from a cruiser point of view.

JohnP wrote:I can not believe this number is right!* My boat is a lot older than Walts.

I promised it and here it is.

Photo #1* Aft Side deck
Photo #2 Mid ship Side deck
Photo # 3 Rails Slant Out Creating More hip Room

Note: The farther forward you go, the wider the side deck, achieving its max width of 14" at the forward end of the stateroom cabin.

Remember, this is a Halvorsen Gourmet cruiser, built on an IG 32 hull. I'm sure that the two boats differ considerably.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 03:52:23 PM

Attachments

• rails angle out.jpg
    rails angle out.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 166
  • mid ship.jpg
    mid ship.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 160
  • aft.jpg
    aft.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 143
  • strbd.jpg
    strbd.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 160
Seahorse wrote:
I promised it and here it is.

Photo #1* Aft Side deck
Photo #2 Mid ship Side deck
Photo # 3 Rails Slant Out Creating More hip Room

Remember, this is a Halvorsen Gourmet cruiser, built on an IG 32 hull. I'm sure that the two boats differ.

*Walt,*They better differ considering the age and $$$ difference!

I bet they thru more room into the width of the salon.* I hope you don't have real big feet!

JohnP*

JohnP wrote: I hope you don't have real big feet!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom