New to the site Denise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeniseO30

Hi everyone! New to this site! Sold my 30ft sailboat last year. :( not sure what where when or if, I'm a trawler person but kind of think I could be. I have started researching trawlers A sail to keep her "steady" would be nuff to me me happy I'm sure.

I have family in the deep south. (Chattanoga TN) but, my internal compass always takes me north in my need to escape hot weather. Snowbird? Not likely but fun to think about.

Welcome to the forum!

Ted

Hi everyone! New to this site! Sold my 30ft sailboat last year. :( not sure what where when or if, I'm a trawler person but kind of think I could be. I have started researching trawlers A sail to keep her "steady" would be nuff to me me happy I'm sure.

I have family in the deep south. (Chattanoga TN) but, my internal compass always takes me north in my need to escape hot weather. Snowbird? Not likely but fun to think about.

Welcome to TF, Denise. I boat on the coast, but my home is Chattanooga. Small world.

Welcome to Trawler Forum! There are many experienced people that will help you.

All the best !

Kindest regards, Normand

Hi everyone! ...

Welcome aboard...
Lots of great cruisin up N...just have to settle for short seasons

Wifey B: You ain't been deep or hot yet....:rofl: Not in Chattanooga.

How much time will you have to boat in a year? A lot of people do summer around the Chesapeake or even in the NE and then head south for winter. A lot of people boat around Chattanooga and on the TN River because it's not as hot as the Gulf Coast area. NC Coast has great boating and a compromise in climates.

Thanks for the warm fuzzy feelings everyone! :D I had a plan when I bought my house 15+ years back... twas to live on a boat. well too many years went by and much changed. I still dream of living aboard but after selling the boat and still finding myself stuck with my mortgaged house and getting close to 70. :banghead: I just don't know. sometimes I feel like yeah! other times... well you know. :hide:

Thanks for the warm fuzzy feelings everyone! :D I had a plan when I bought my house 15+ years back... twas to live on a boat. well too many years went by and much changed. I still dream of living aboard but after selling the boat and still finding myself stuck with my mortgaged house and getting close to 70. :banghead: I just don't know. sometimes I feel like yeah! other times... well you know. :hide:

Wifey B: One doesn't have to know. :) I don't have any idea what I'll be doing when I'm close to 70. At least you're still thinking of ideas and dreaming. When you boat, do you anticipate alone? 2? 4? 6? 8? 10? 12? :) Think out loud a minute of what your boating looks like? How much time moving and how much sitting? Anchoring? Marinas? Year round or partial year? All those things play a role in what to get.

If your idea is enjoying the summer, within a few hundred miles north and south of your home or just to enjoy a week or two at a time or boat year round, summer north, winter south, those all influence your choice a bit. For ideas, look around at the boats at the marinas near you. And don't get hung up on words like trawler or passagemaker or seaworthy. The biggest difference you'll see here is some boats go faster than others and the slower ones may sometimes be more seaworthy, and while there are people here who cover long distances, 95% don't go out if it's more than 3-4' seas and any boat here can handle that, doesn't take some great seaworthy passagemaker trawler to do so. However, you want to go outside more and explore further then it might become important.

Welcome, Denise! Your screen name looks familair - perhaps from SailNet? We used to be on that forum when we had our Pearson 303, which we sold a few years ago after purchasing our trawler.

I was on the dock yakking with a Westsail 32 owner, he was lamenting his sailing partner wasn't available until July (it was early June) and it was too hard to single hand his sailboat. My Willard is comparable in size and easily single hands, he was a bit jealous. Up here almost no one actually sails unless it's for a sailing event inside a bay.

My guess is you would find it an easy move over to a trawler, life is easier and visibility is much better from inside the cabin. You also get to hide inside when the weather is crappy :)

Kudos to you for still wanting to do it!

Thanks Doug! I know how to set up a boat for SHing I gave up trying to teach my lady friends lol.

Yes tis me!

Welcome to the dark side! While we miss sailing for the sake of sailing, once you experience driving inside during crappy, cold weather, it is hard to look back.

Back
Top Bottom