Pnw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Was it Marin (where is he?) who said people should stay away from the PNW because the waters are rough & cold, the coastline dangerous, man-eating bears roam the area, etc?

Well, I can see his point. I just returned from a 3 week road-trip starting in Portland, up to Seattle and then over to the coast and all the way down Rts 101 & 1 to LA. I wouldn't want any people coming there either. It's an absolutely gorgeous area.

Funny thing - the beaches & coastline are spectacular, some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Pretty, but utterly unusable. There's a life lesson in there somewhere - reminds me of some women .... :)

It's only gets better where the roads don't go. Pretty much every mile north of Campbell River just gets mo better visually... The coastal mt. range gets closer to shore creating spectacular scenery...

Makes me SO happy when you folks get to experience the real PNW.

Good choice to head south when you did, too. There's only another couple hours of Hwy 101 to the north and it's mostly only 4 X 4 passable.

Yup, you get north of Seattle the roads narrow down to rutted wagon trails, snow capped mountains that are darn near impassible year round. Not to mention the constant rain and snow.

Bears and mountain lions are a problem, but you also got to guard against the constant threat of hostiles, who jealously guard the frontier. :pirate::eek::pirate:

Attachments

• jp.jpg
    jp.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Yep, folks should be very wary of this area,,,,please, its largely uninhabitable. No really, that's no BS.

Quite uninhabitable indeed. That's why we are only buying land to speculate with some retirement money.

Mosquitoes that are bigger than hummingbirds

It's true, it's all true, and there are large killer whales that roam the waters looking for their next meal....

It is true. We lived in St Thomas for 20 years and moved to the PNW to prove how rugged we are. No heat, rains all the time, people are rude and the scenery is lousy.

Wooden boats turn into paste, fiberglass bubbles like a percolator and steel just evaporates here!

If you do decide to chance it, bring your small pets.

Attachments

• Cougar6.jpg
    Cougar6.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 57
Our bald eagle population is surpassed only by Alaska and small children are often carried off by roving gangs (gaggle, flocks) of them!

We drive more VW's and Prius's than the rest of the world combined.

We don't use the mph gauge, the dash is perma-mode set to hold to 50 MPG regardless of what's in the rear view mirror.

We stand up paddle to work after riding our bikes 50 miles down to the river, with a soy latte in one hand and a texting/ear-budded iPhone in the other.

(I need my trawler!)

Even a Coast Guard boarding and inspection can be dangerous in the PNW. Well lets just say. . . some believe even the Coasties have gone rogue!

If they find any violations on your boat, the plank on the bow is for yea, matey! :eek:

Attachments

• seafarepirates.jpg
    seafarepirates.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 61
We drive more VW's and Prius's than the rest of the world combined.

I saw a few Prius' and, between Mendocino and LA, more Tesla's then I've seen since they first hit the streets. And more VW buses than I've seen in 30 years. Lots of MB's, BMW's and Porsche's. A few Ferrari's, Maserati's and Lamborghini's. But what really surprised me was the amazing number of newer convertible Mustangs on the PCH. Do they give them away for free in CA?

Eric & Marin? ?

Bob,
Eric and Marin what?
I've not tried to talk anybody from coming here. There's already too many people but if it gets too much worse I'll just move north ..... may anyway.

Can't find a place to camp unless you reserve a year in advance. Had several bad close encounters on the road and they bring their dogs (even big ones) into clothing stores, food stores and even resturants. You people on the "right" coast don't do stuff like that do you?

PNW ? Stay away.

Horrid weather - it either buckets or bakes.
The women are headstrong and the men disturbingly independent.
We have wolves, snakes and radioactive waste.

Turn back while you can.

:hide:

Elephant seals and elk were all the wildlife we saw.

People bringing their dogs into shops was a big plus for my wife. Personally, I don't want them in restaurants, but OK for outside seating.

We left our hound at home though. I don't see traveling with the dog unless we get an RV.

I'll be back! But next trip may be through the SW over to San Diego and then north on the PCH.

We stumbled upon the Kurt Cobain memorial in Aberdeen. Who knew? Not even my stoner, musician friends were aware of that.

Hey-and don't forget the earthquakes and resulting tsunamis! They are predicting the "Big One", the really "Big One", any day now! Just had a massive tsunami exercise on the coast a few weeks ago. You'll have to climb the nearest mountain just to be safe!

Blaine could get downright crowded this fall and we just might have to close the gate.

Attachments

• Fence.jpg
    Fence.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom