Rust on Manson Supreme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
In the photo are two anchor shanks. The rusting one is a 60# Manson Supreme used regularly for 4 years. The one without rust is a 45# CQR used regularly for 15 years. Is this normal for a Manson? Anyone else experiencing this? Should I be complaining to the manufacturer? Is it a concern?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 175
normal... I just touch up with cold spray but mine rusts where it hits the bow roller retainer ring each anchoring.

I have painted my rusting anchors and cleats and the rack on my truck with Petit Rustlok primer. Hard as hell, single part silver colored moisture cured urethane. Been using it for thirty years. Great stuff. Looks like fresh galvanizing when done.

So why does the CQR not rust after 15 years?

My guess would be better galvanizing. It seems most galvanized things are not as well plated now as they used to be. Back when men were men etc.

You may consider powder coating.

I modify some of my anchors cutting and grinding so I expose a lot of bare metal. So far I have sprayed on the cold gal and been very pleased w the results.
I do think getting the metal really clean helps a lot. Haven't done it but on hot dip galvanized surfaces one could probably use acetone or MEK. I'm guessing the galvanized surface would be OK w that. But once cold gal has been sprayed on such treatment would probably damage the old cold gal.

I suspect that the cold gal spray adheres better to clean bare metal better than HD gal. I added a mild steel part (about 3"x5") and that part held it's CG spray coat better than the HD part of the anchor. Like any painting .. prep .. prep .. prep.

I'd send those pictures to Manson. Kind of disappointing to see it rust like that.

I had the roll tube on my Manson rust through! Had a local welder weld a patch on it but very disappointed.

Howard, [STRIKE]your Rocna[/STRIKE],I mean my Rocna doesn't have that problem. :rolleyes:

Ted

I'm really at a loss as to how to handle this. I called Manson about a year ago and they told me that the anchor is probably coming up backwards over the roller and that's what's damaging it or it's rubbing on rocks.

It never comes up backwards and we anchor mostly in sand and mud in the AICW. I can take a video of the anchor coming up to send them. I will give them another call and see if they are more responsive. The fact that Nimble 1's roll bar rusted through is most disturbing. I'm wondering if they had a bad batch.

Lots of Rocnas around here, including ours, and no rust. No Mansons so can`t compare.

Back
Top Bottom