First Time Buyer 32-34'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanClapp

I have a slip here in NJ that is limited to 37' including swim platform & bow pulpit. I've been a day boater all my life, but my wife and I want to start cruising now, eventually looping someday. I need to buy a boat for my slip.

I'd like a newer boat (2000-2010).
Twin Diesel engines.
Cruise in the teens, but able to run in the low 20's.
Single state room.
Shower stall.
Flybridge AND dual helm stations.
Bow thruster.

I've been doing a lot of research and I plan to attend Trawlerfest, but I keep coming back to the Mainship 34 Trawler with flybridge. It seems a little under powered. And the width might not fit my slip. But I love the large upper deck; the staircase; the engine access; & the look of it.

Pros? Cons? Other boat Recommendations?

The Mainship 34T has an LOA of 39'5".

Curiously the 40T is 41'4" - just 2 feet longer.

I have a slip here in NJ that is limited to 37' including swim platform & bow pulpit. I've been a day boater all my life, but my wife and I want to start cruising now, eventually looping someday. I need to buy a boat for my slip.

I'd like a newer boat (2000-2010).
Twin Diesel engines.
Cruise in the teens, but able to run in the low 20's.
Single state room.
Shower stall.
Flybridge AND dual helm stations.
Bow thruster.

I've been doing a lot of research and I plan to attend Trawlerfest, but I keep coming back to the Mainship 34 Trawler with flybridge. It seems a little under powered. And the width might not fit my slip. But I love the large upper deck; the staircase; the engine access; & the look of it.

Pros? Cons? Other boat Recommendations?

I understand your purpose, but the strategy of selecting a boat based on a slip bothers me a bit. Where do you intend to use the boat? How many people aboard? What kind of cruising, how much, how long trips? Anchoring or marina? All the other things that are important in selecting a boat. Perhaps you've considered them all and determined 37' total length works, but it's just the singular premise of finding a boat to fit the slip. Then the one you were attracted to will not. Oh, and what is the width of your slip?

I tried to think of brands that had similarities to the Mainship you liked and will think of more but the first ones that came to mind were Carver, Albin, Bayliner. As you drop the size the number of boats with Flybridge's is minimal as they're just not enough space and lower level weight to balance the boat physically or aesthetically. If flybridge isn't essential to you, then more boats open up potentially.

Those boats are all too old. Plus, I don't like the modern look of the new boats like Carver, Riviera, & Silverton.
I'd like newer systems, bow thruster, less engine hours, & no rust.

Last edited:
I understand your purpose, but the strategy of selecting a boat based on a slip bothers me a bit. Where do you intend to use the boat? How many people aboard? What kind of cruising, how much, how long trips? Anchoring or marina? All the other things that are important in selecting a boat. Perhaps you've considered them all and determined 37' total length works, but it's just the singular premise of finding a boat to fit the slip. Then the one you were attracted to will not. Oh, and what is the width of your slip?

I belong to a local yacht club. The only slips bigger than 37' are 45', but none will be available for years. Thus, my limitation. I plan to cruise loop waters and destinations mostly as a couple. Occasional day trips with three kids and friends. Slip width 14'?

Those boats are all too old. Plus, I don't like the modern look of the new boats like Carver, Riviera, & Silverton.

You do realize that two of the Tolley's were fresh water boats. From the Great Lakes with short 3 month active seasons. Depending on budget they seem attractively priced.

You might want to look at a Ranger Tug 29 CD or 31 CB. Might be more money than you want to spend though.

Exceptionally well built older boats (mid 70's, 80's, to early 90's) can sometimes hands-down beat newer boats. Money savings can be substantial for initial price and ongoing insurance. When buying used boat the build quality, PO's boat-care, and condition at time of sea trial are very important factors to weigh. :thumb:

Happy Boat-Search Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I belong to a local yacht club. The only slips bigger than 37' are 45', but none will be available for years. Thus, my limitation. I plan to cruise loop waters and destinations mostly as a couple. Occasional day trips with three kids and friends. Slip width 14'?

I'd suggest looking at what boats are currently there in 37' slips. First time I've heard "modern look" and "Carver" used in the same sentence. If you like the style of Tugs, they're an option. Ranger has a 31' with a bridge that comes under 37'. Nordic's 34 fits. Do you have any air draft limitations? Well, if you're talking loop and canals then you definitely do. What about water draft?

Is the fly bridge important to you? If not then you get into a lot of "lobster" or "downeast" such as Hunt or Hinckley.

I'd suggest looking at what boats are currently there in 37' slips. First time I've heard "modern look" and "Carver" used in the same sentence. If you like the style of Tugs, they're an option. Ranger has a 31' with a bridge that comes under 37'. Nordic's 34 fits. Do you have any air draft limitations? Well, if you're talking loop and canals then you definitely do. What about water draft?

Is the fly bridge important to you? If not then you get into a lot of "lobster" or "downeast" such as Hunt or Hinckley.

All the boats on the coast here in NJ and in my club are sport fishing boats. I don't want a sport fishing boat.

many clubs have the same problem. Buy the boat you really want and keep it somewhere else.

I did that for many years and stayed at the club on weekends etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom