What's this thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
? ?

Attachments

• 5835341_20160611094210579_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5835341_20160611094210579_1_XLARGE.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 310
Perhaps a hydraulic washdown pump??

Give us a hint. Where do the lines lead?

Looks to me like a hydraulic steering power unit? Perhaps an older heavy duty Wagner or Capilano unit?

The double headed thing in the middle are the solenoid vales. They shuttle left and right sending the flow to the steering ram one direction of the other. The bottom part is the motor / pump unit, the pump is the end you see.

Looks to me like a hydraulic steering power unit? Perhaps an older heavy duty Wagner or Capilano unit?

The double headed thing in the middle are the solenoid vales. They shuttle left and right sending the flow to the steering ram one direction of the other. The bottom part is the motor / pump unit, the pump is the end you see.

This gets my vote.

Ted

Just a picture in a listing.
I have no clues, nor does the listing.
Hydraulics sounds good but is the copper plumbing up to standards?
No mention anywhere of anything hydraulic.

When I see mystery stuff before I go look, I like to know what it is so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Can I vote for autopilot pump.... no way to know without seeing where the lines go...

I agree with the others, it is a stand alone hydraulic system two directional. But it must be very low pressure, due to the copper lines and brass valves (those valves should never be used in a hydraulic system)

I agree with the others, it is a stand alone hydraulic system two directional. But it must be very low pressure, due to the copper lines and brass valves (those valves should never be used in a hydraulic system)
That had me questioning hydraulics as well.
I found two older listings for the same boat; one mentioned Wagner AP and the other says the transom davit is hydraulic.

I guess I'll just have to go look.

Last edited:
My autopilot has a similar setup and the same copper lines. No valves, though. I hate gate valves but they are ok here, no indication they are brass and they are transferring hydraulic oil anyway so no salt present.

Greetings,
Could it be a triple plevis, bi-directional frimple infuser? I've seen them before on Zeppelins...or was it behind the Coke machine in the bowling alley?

giphy.gif

A power pack for a stern davit is another good choice. In the for what it's worth column I've experienced these kinds of heavy duty power packs lasting decades in service on work boats.

I've seen copper tubing used in hydraulic steering systems. Not my first choice but it does work. A quick stroll through the McMaster Carr catalog shows the working pressure is surprisingly high. Search for 8955K151 or 8955K171

The valves are most likely bronze rather than brass. If they are good quality bronze valves they will have a working pressure rating on the body. Good bronze fittings can have a higher working pressure rating than stainless though not as high as steel.

I'm wondering why, since this system is on a manifold, why they used gate valves instead of manually adjusted cartridge valves for flow control?

Looks like autopilot pump with solenoid directional valves.

That's a classic, high pressure Bouda Toilit pump... one of the first on boats! - Silly

You going by the nearby rudder post?

Stay on the edge of your chair, I should have an answer for you soon.

Yes. Since its in the aft rudder area.

A davit hydraulic power pack would not normally be mounted there I would think. Unless the davit was at or very near the stern.

Yes. Since its in the aft rudder area.

A davit hydraulic power pack would not normally be mounted there I would think. Unless the davit was at or very near the stern.
Ah, but I pointed to a hydraulic transom davit in post 8.

We'll see.

Hawgwash, Where do the lines go? do they exit the transom or go to the rudder cylinder?

Broker says it is a davit pump.

So, congratulations to;

Portage Bay & Bob Cofer

You can go to any Angerman's or Iggy Biggy, tell them Capt Bill sent you and claim your free bilge wipes.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Could it be a triple plevis, bi-directional frimple infuser? I've seen them before on Zeppelins...or was it behind the Coke machine in the bowling alley?

giphy.gif

I was gonna try.....my wheels were turning,,,..but hell I cannot top that...:rofl:

HW, is this a boat that you are considering? If so, what is it?

Nice looking boat. I really like the large covered aft cockpit. Great for the PNW

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom