The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Goat

Hello everyone!

I'm Ron a newcomer to the Forum.* I am approaching retirement age and looking for a trawler for my wife and I to live aboard for awhile and do the Loop.* We are nonboaters for the most part but love the water and do quite a bit of canoing.* We have much to learn, but we thought this would be a good place to do it.

We have been dreaming of this for many years.* We don't need anything fancy, but practical and sound.

I will be asking many questions and doing quite a bit of reading.* All advice welcome!

Welcome Ron,* You have come to the right place!

Being a non-boater may be a big advantage-- The Honeymoon will be Fantastic!

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 7th of March 2011 04:14:35 PM

Ask away!** If you haven't acquired a copy yet, I suggest you get and read*the book*Chapman Piloting & Seamanship.* It is a comprehensive introduction to boating.

Welcome!!! Spend a lot of time asking questions. Ask all you like, but I would say do it BEFORE you start talking to brokers. This place is a great resource.

I know there are a few brokers here and I won't paint them ALL with the same brush, but every broker I have ever talked to has little patience for weeks and weeks of questions and emails from n00bz. If you find one that does, it would be rare indeed.

Go to a boat show or two. Goto the book store and pick books and rags. Send a lot of time on YachtWorld.com. Visit a marina or two (or ten) and walk around and talk to people you meet. One thing is nearly for sure, we all love to talk about our boats. Find listed boats close to home for you and call the listing agent to take a look. Once you start getting your feet on boats, you'll learn pretty quickly what you like and what you don't. Do NOT be in a rush!

There is no such thing as a buyer's broker... Only a broker that splits the seller's commission. However, like I said before, if you do find someone that is willing to spend a lot of time with you going to boat after boat, then it might be good to keep him around. The more opinionated the better. That will increase your chances of not being talked into a boat that needs work or one that isn't right for your needs.

Your first boat should be in the best condition as you can afford. One sure way to get you frustrated is for you to spend more time and money fixing a brand new (to you) boat rather than boating.

This may not be the popular opinion around here, but it's the way I see it after having just gone through it two years ago.

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 7th of March 2011 04:30:12 PM

Welcome to the forum! You will find no other better resource on the web when it comes to talking trawlers.

I am going to have to disagree with Tom's comment above about there not being such a thing as a "buyer's broker." Yes, there are some lazy and bad people posing as brokers out there, but a true professional cares whether you are happy and whether you are buying the right boat or not. I am a yacht broker myself and trust me- the best clients are repeat clients and you don't get that by not putting your client's interests first. I do advise, if you work with a broker, finding one that is a true boating nut and preferably a boater themselves- otherwise you ARE likely to just be dealing with a yahoo that would be just as happy selling cars.

Woodsong wrote:Yes, there are some lazy and bad people posing as brokers out there,
I don't want to be tagged a trouble maker around here... I know there are good brokers and I'd bet that Don is one of them, I've just personally not met one yet.

I'll say this: The best part of buying a boat was having the entire process behind us. Everyone from brokers to bankers to surveyers, (and don't EVEN get me started about canvas people) they were basically all the same and that means they were not very pleasant when you ask a lot of questions. Sure, I've heard that when you walk into a room and everyone is a jerk then it's probably you, but in this case we were the one's with the checkbook. Still, once we had a little more knowledge under our belt, the broker we ended up with was amazing to work with. Especially his service after the sale.

All I am saying to the "new guy"
smile.gif
is do you due dilligence (sp?) and if you start to get a -tude from someone, walk away.

Tom-

Welcome - I am quite certain that you will enjoy this forum as much as I have - at least for the very short time I have been a member. Very large wealth of knowledge, not to mention a very fine assortment of wonderful personalities - like all boaters that I have known...

One recommendation, READ !!! Read, research and ask questions.

This is a great place - use the forum wisely and generously - and again, welcome.

dcboater

Yes, and welcome from Downunder also Ron. This forum is literally worldwide. There are quite a few of us here in Australia and New Zealand as well as the UK and Europe, so the collective wisdom and experience takes in all types of boating locations and conditions.

For what it is worth, what I did to take the 'broker' facter out of the equation as much as possible, so it tended to not matter how motivated they were, was to research the types of vessel I thought would suit, then look up where some were advertised, and set up an appointment to view, but armed with as much knowledge re that type of vessel as I could muster. That way it was clear I was not a total greenhorn, knew a bit, and was definitely not just a tyre-kicker. This then brought out the best in the broker, as he/she could see I was not just wasting his/her time, and they tended to be more up front as well, knowing there was no point in trying to do a snow job on me. So I was in effect using the broker to help me, rather than the other way round, so it made me less vulnerable to the odd 'bad' one - for want of a better word. What I found was you very quickly identified the ones with genuine love and knowlege of boats, and whose opinion you could really rely on. This meant that by the time I settled on what I thought was the boat for me - or perhaps more correctly put, accepted the vessel that had chosen me....(that's pretty much how it goes, isn't it guys?)...I had no false illusions, and the subsequent survey revealed no nasty shocks.
Hope that helps.

-- Edited by Peter B on Monday 7th of March 2011 06:42:03 PM

We have to agree with what our trawler forum friends advise.... educate yourself. *Trawlers come in a myriad of different designs and sizes... check out as many of them as you can to decide what features are important to you. *And read, read, read... information is golden.

As for brokers... we dealt with one in Florida who definitely tried to pull the wool over our eyes.. and then another in the Maine/New Hampshire area *who was as honest as could be. *(Grey and Grey by the way... Annie is wonderful!)... As always, buyer beware.

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Monday 7th of March 2011 06:53:28 PM

Delia Rosa wrote:and then another in the Maine/New Hampshire area *who was as honest as could be. *(Grey and Grey by the way... Annie is wonderful!)
Annie is great. We bought our classic woodie through her in 1987, sold her through her last year, and bought our IG through her two years ago. She is a childhood acquaintance of my wife's and she and her husband Robert keep their boat at our local "shipyard" in Stonington, ME.

So many wonderful replies! Thanks everyone!

My wife and I will begin by keeping our trawler in the Great Lakes (Erie) and moving on from there. We would not be opposed to purchasing it elsewhere and sailing it there.

What ideas do you have for the type of trawler I should check out? We can only spend $50,000. tops but want one that would be in better shape to learn on and become familiar with the maintenance and getting to know her before we have to do too much to her. We would want to keep her in good condition. Something we could live on for a bit while cruising the ICW, Great Lakes and the Loop.

What do you think I should consider? Should I even consider a wood vessel at all?

Thanks.

Old Goat wrote:
*Should I even consider a wood vessel at all.

Ron, The learning curve with a wooden boat would be way to steep.

******* Not the best choice for you in my opinion---*Even if you were a carpenter it might be too much.

JohnP

dwhatty wrote:

Delia Rosa wrote:and then another in the Maine/New Hampshire area *who was as honest as could be. *(Grey and Grey by the way... Annie is wonderful!)
Annie is great. We bought our classic woodie through her in 1987, sold her through her last year, and bought our IG through her two years ago. She is a childhood acquaintance of my wife's and she and her husband Robert keep their boat at our local "shipyard" in Stonington, ME.

When you next see her, please say hello for us... and tell her how much we appreciated her help with our purchase of Delia Rosa... *she was great and her help and especially her honesty was important to us! *I would recommend her to anyone.

Ron,
The advice to essentially get the newest and least abused boat possible due to your limited boating experience is very good advice. Old boats, no matter how well taken care of, are just that...old boats. Frankly, as much as I love our Monk, had I bought her as my first boat I would have been quickly overwhelmed and out of my element and I would have been in over my head and sold her. Ours needed a full refit though but even still, old boats require work over time. You will want to find a boat that requires the least amount of work and has the least amount of issues. That will most likely translate to making sure you buy a freshwater boat and not a salt water boat. HUGE difference in a south FL boat that is 25 years old and a great lakes boat that is 25 years old (generally speaking). $50k budget- you will most likely be in the sub 36' size. There are many, many boats out there in all kinds of configurations....sundeck, trunk deck, europa, flushdeck, etc. etc. Start looking around on yachtworld.com and see what strikes your fancy and come here and ask questions about them. Take your time and get educated and talk to boaters and read about boating and learn, learn, learn.

And remember- it's FUN! :)

welcome, Ron.* You are about to embark on a great quest.* The search for a boat can be both exciting and frustrating.* After you determine your needs for space, etc. the search is on.* You will learn much from just looking at various boats.* Your choices will be somewhat limited due to the price range.* However, there are deals to be had.* Any one with cash today can drive a good bargain. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

After selecting a boat, a good and knowledgable surveyer is your friend.* If you can, go over the boat with him to see the deficiencies he is noting.* Also, don't be afraind to put in a low bid and wait it out.* Sometimes good surprises happen, but rest assured there will be some surprises.

So, ask away, and enjoy your learning and your search.

Woodsong wrote:

Welcome to the forum! You will find no other better resource on the web when it comes to talking trawlers.

I am going to have to disagree with Tom's comment above about there not being such a thing as a "buyer's broker." Yes, there are some lazy and bad people posing as brokers out there, but a true professional cares whether you are happy and whether you are buying the right boat or not. I am a yacht broker myself and trust me- the best clients are repeat clients and you don't get that by not putting your client's interests first. I do advise, if you work with a broker, finding one that is a true boating nut and preferably a boater themselves- otherwise you ARE likely to just be dealing with a yahoo that would be just as happy selling cars.
Tony I have to agree with your statement relative to "buyers broker"s. *There are individuals in any and every line of work that choose to do what is right. And by doing so, they not only make you the customer happy, but they spread the word of their honesty and reliability without even trying. A happy customer is the best advertisement ever created. And it only costs the broker a little time and a little effort to do what is right. Ask the right questions, and get to know your broker. You'll be able to see whether they are on your side, or theirs. Yes, there are short sighted individuals, that will do whatever it takes to make a sale, but I know there are many amongst us who have met the good ones.

Hi Ron,One of our members that's sorta out to lunch right now would advise you to charter a boat and get a hands on experience. He did that himself and talked frequently about what he did
and he had lots of detailed accounts about just about anything. But he did charter and recommend it to others and I can think of no better advice. If you wanted to be an over the road truck driver I'd say hop on a truck from LA to Jacksonville and eat and sleep where the driver does and at the end of the trip you'd go looking for a different job. That probably won't happen to you in boating but still an "in you're face" experience like a charter may expand your boating horizon faster than anything else. On a more practical side go back into the archives on TF as almost all the posts ever made are just as available as they were several years ago. Have fun.

I am approaching retirement age and looking for a trawler for my wife and I to live aboard for awhile and do the Loop.

Why a "trawler"? There are loads of boats as suitable for slow efficient cruising.

Hi Ron,

Good luck in your search. I started here about 2 years ago before purchasing my boat. The advice you'll receive is invaluable.

I looked at 20 boats and bought one very different that what I thought I wanted. That's the fun in taking your time in looking.

But the previous advice in buying the newest boat you can afford is a good one. However finding a well kept older boat can work out for you, but as a boat ages, the cost in time and money go way up.

Best of luck.

Welcome aboard, Ron!!! Enjoy your stay!!!

welcome Ron.

i just got into boating last year, didnt do a lot of research, and went on a lot of instinct and normal business experience but got lucky (i think..).

1. Get yourself a good surveyor, he/she is your friend. Yes they cost money but can also save you lots of money in many ways. you can also get a separate engine surveyor.

2. The most expensive parts of a motor boat is the motors or the motor, yes boats typically come with one or two motors. gasoline or diesel driven. generally speaking diesel engines are considered to be more reliable, safer and require less maintenance.
why not just have one engine, if you are not looking for fast cruising, i certainly would..

3. Boat size. Ours is a 38'ft boat with twin engines. in retrospect probably too large for first boat. steering/piloting in and out of berths/mooring/anchoring can be challenging. consider side wind, water currents and parking your new baby between 15ft concrete pillars can be a little intimidating. perhaps 30-34 ft would have been better. keep in mind that the more intimidated you are by the difficulties of boating, the less you will be going out on your boat.

4. this forum hold vast information, use it, read the past threads and you will start learning which boat you are leaning towards.. and have fun.

Welcome aboard Ron. This is a great time to be in the market for a boat. Take your time and look at lots of boats. Have fun!

FF wrote:

I am approaching retirement age and looking for a trawler for my wife and I to live aboard for awhile and do the Loop.

Why a "trawler"? There are loads of boats as suitable for slow efficient cruising.
I'll tell you why -- a trawler offers more space and comfort and style than other styles of boats.* For a 36 foot boat, what other style offers more livable space?* Oh yeah, I'm 6' 6" so a cabin cruiser or planing boat just doesn't get it.* I can stand up straight in the aft master cabin of our Monk 36.

Woody-
6'6" tall AND twin engines? Are you super man? ;)

I agree though- most bang for your buck to buy and then least amount of $$$ to run. Plus, us Monk 36 owners know that the Monk 36 is actually the best mid-sized trawler ever built anywhere in the world. :)

Woodsong wrote:

Woody-
6'6" tall AND twin engines? Are you super man? ;)

I agree though- most bang for your buck to buy and then least amount of $$$ to run. Plus, us Monk 36 owners know that the Monk 36 is actually the best mid-sized trawler ever built anywhere in the world. :)
I am so sore from what I call "bilge yoga"
Bending my body down there adjusting the shaft packing glands has been eye opening.* That is why I'm doing all this while I'm still young... reletively.

Reminds me, a set of "stubbies" is the best set of tools you can have.* I thought sockets were all I needed and I was sorely wrong.

What do you mean by 'stubbies' Woody...? Here in Oz, they are a smallish sized beer bottle.
The latter I have some of - however, maybe I can also do with getting some of your kind....I too find myself muttering more and more often lately when grovelling 'down there' doin' some maint'nance..."I getting too old for this s**t....."

Peter B wrote:

What do you mean by 'stubbies' Woody...? Here in Oz, they are a smallish sized beer bottle.
Woody's right. *Stubby ratchets and wrenches don't have much leverage, but they sure save the day in many a tight application, even if you're a contortionist. *I even use the heck out of my knob handled ratchet driver.

Attachments

• yhst-128164710511799_2148_363525018.gif
    yhst-128164710511799_2148_363525018.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 31834o7f3yl._sl500_aa300_.jpg
    31834o7f3yl._sl500_aa300_.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom