best trawler engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crttop6

I am a retired sailor 25 years and now looking for a trawler 36-41
with a good engine(s). 70,000 is my limit. I need some input.
Best boat best engine. thank you

The Cummins started being installed in trawlers in the 90s. Even though it is a great engine for a trawler in its 6BT configuation, I suspect your budget will lead you to something older.

Lehmans have fantastic support from American Diesel, the guy who originally marinized the Ford.

But a normally aspirated Perkins would be a good choice also.

Both were installed in trawlers from the mid 70s into the late 80s, early 90s.

You sometimes see Detroit 8.2s in trawlers. It doesn't have a good rep. Detroit 4-53s were installed in the Hatteras LRC and while a very solid engine, are noisy and vibrate at low speeds.

Most other marine engines don't have enough displacement to go low and slow while pushing a 20,000+ lb boat.

So Cummins, Lehman and Perkins would be my choice.

David

Lehman. 120 or 135. Standard engine in the Bedford double decker bus, Grand Banks, Marine Trader, and a host of others. Simplest to maintain, great parts and support.

It may be a better question to ask which engines to stay away from.... In your price range some engines may be obsolete and parts tough to find and or mechanics that can work on them... Cummins 555 comes to mind as one that is getting hard to find parts for... Some engines parts are fairly expensive such as Volvo and Cat... My preference would be for 6bs also like Deere's 6068s

Cat 3208NA is also a good machine in that vintage/price range. Agree with the others the Lehman/Ford 120/135, Cummins 6BT-210, Perkins 6.354NA or T are good machines too.

I pivoted into a 34 MKI Mainship because it had a 6BT Cummins. The other issues on the boat eat me alive. As another poster suggested, key on the engines, and models (200 Hp 6cyl Perkins for instance) to stay away from.

Soft decks, leaky Windows, moisture saturated bulkheads or sandwich hulls are far more to deal with than an engine that have readily available parts. Electronics are dated, so no worries, not much of an issue either way.. Add up all the other goodies. The engine, especially if serviceable ends up being the small potato.

Part of the decision process will depend on how fast you want to cruise. Hard to beat a John Deere 4052 for 7 knot cruise. Probably won't find them in your boat price range.

Ted

I have put 600 hours in the last three and a half years on my Californiain 34 with Perkins t6.354mgt 185hp engines and they seem like they will run forever, knock on wood. I would gues I got them with three thousand plus hours on them. Parts are not a problem and they are very simple and easy to work on.

I would say Gardner, with Lehman or Perkins a distant second.
Probably, but a Gardner would be a rare find. I seem to remember the Lehman and Perkins 6354 marinize the same block.

Part of the decision process will depend on how fast you want to cruise. Hard to beat a John Deere 4052 for 7 knot cruise. Probably won't find them in your boat price range.

Ted

A 4-cylinder John Deere 4045 (80 horsepower, naturally-aspirated) engine comfortably moves my 14-ton boat at six-plus knots. And 200 RPM less of maximum effort (2200 versus 2400), can forward it at slightly over seven knots. (My engine mechanic likes servicing my four-cylinder JD.)

Ted
:facepalm: Brain must have been elsewhere. I was referring to the 4045. This has also been the standard engine in the Kadey Krogens for a number of years now. Mine is a turbo at 135 HP.

Ted

If you plan on working on it yourself stay away from any of the new diesels with computer driven injection. There have been many suggestions for the older simpler diesels which will run forever!

If you plan on working on it yourself stay away from any of the new diesels with computer driven injection. There have been many suggestions for the older simpler diesels which will run forever!

Uh oh... NOW you've done it. :hide:

Detroit diesel is what I have. Easy to work on, parts are everywhere and cheep to rebuild.
Plus they sound good

Avoid VOLVO, run from them as you would the plague; good engines, but no support from VOLVO on older engines.

Perkins 6.354 and the various Ford engines have nothing in common.

In my previous post I should have included Deere and Detroit as viable engines. Both make good machines. Detroit 53, 71 and 92 are two strokes, and can be rock solid reliable but in a trawler, usually noisy as heck. Deeres are four strokes like the rest, simple good engines.

Volvo seemed to forget that trawler engines often last well over 40years. Provided you can get the parts to maintain them. Which would be no issue if Volvo continued to MAKE THE PARTS. Duhh...

Just did an engine survey on a boat with Detroit 8v71n. 50yrs old. Engines never rebuilt. They ran perfect. Too bad various owners made a mess of the wiring, complete hack job. But the engines were fine. And yes, you can get parts!!

Bayliner used Mitsubishi and Hino Diesel engines in their 38' boats built from the early 80s to mid 90s. I would avoid the Mitsubishi powered boats especially the turbo charged units. The Hino EH700 are a 6 cylinder naturally aspirated 175 hp, in the last few years of production they used a 4 cylinder turbo charged 210 hp. Both of these are sturdy long lived engines given proper care but my preference would be the simpler NA 6 cylinder EH700. Parts are available from North Harbor Diesel in Washington and other sources. They also built a few gas powered boats if those would interest you. Depending where your located these could be in your budget very easily, they are still popular boats in the pnw and prices in that area are higher than the gulf or east coast, there are a few on the rivers and Great Lakes, there are always a few for sale around the country.

I am fond of my Perkins 4-236s. They seem to be well regarded and very reliable. Pretty frugal too.

Kevin

Up to 100 HP, I like Kaboda. Simple, reliable, blocks stay around for a long time and parts are widely available around the world. I'd dearly love to have a Garner but in the US it's hard to beat a John Deere. Cummins second. My dream marinization would be an International DT series, wet sleeve, in 360, 408, 466 and 530 versions. For a circumnavigation, a 53 or 71 series Detroit would also be a very safe bet.

You can have that DT , especially the 466. Liners seem to always eventually leak. The newer electronic DTs have injector o ring issues, among other things. And the fact that a marinization would be expensive. Cummins C series trumps them everywhere.

I was waiting for some love for the venerable Perkins 4.236. Thanks 'Swede!!

I have some 4.236 experience. They are excellent engines!!!!! Probably Perkins' best!!!!

It's hard to find a more reliable and proven engine than an in-line 671-naturally aspirated Detroit. Readily available parts and reparable world wide. All mechanical; no electronics, sensors or computers to shut you down at inopportune times. You can lose all electrical power and they keep running. Biggest downside is the noise, which is mostly from the blower system.

It's hard to find a more reliable and proven engine than an in-line 671-naturally aspirated Detroit. Readily available parts and reparable world wide. All mechanical; no electronics, sensors or computers to shut you down at inopportune times. You can lose all electrical power and they keep running. Biggest downside is the noise, which is mostly from the blower system.

ditto

I would add no injector pump, originally designed to be rebuildable in the field, including pumps, blower and so on. Cared for naturals can go double the hours of a typical yacht diesel. Mine were over 20,000 hours when rebuilt.

Excluding your budget: John Deere/Lugger.

With an old boat and a budget the engine choice is less of a concern than

"Soft decks, leaky Windows, moisture saturated bulkheads or sandwich hulls are far more to deal with than an engine that have readily available parts"

These defects can eat months of work , piles of currency and will be ongoing problems as repair can not fix inherent problems..

IF the engine is common . and parts are available , concentrate on the boat issues, not the engine make , if you wish to get off the dock.

A quick look in the boats engine locker , Diesel rated lube oil or car stuff?

On start up from COLD !!!! how long does the white smoke come out the exhaust?

Underway , what temperature does white smoke go away ?

Displacement speed cruiser engines are seldom worn out , most are killed bu poor or non existing maint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom