Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Welcome!!! Spend a lot of time asking questions. Ask all you like, but I would say do it BEFORE you start talking to brokers. This place is a great resource.

I know there are a few brokers here and I won't paint them ALL with the same brush, but every broker I have ever talked to has little patience for weeks and weeks of questions and emails from n00bz. If you find one that does, it would be rare indeed.

Go to a boat show or two. Goto the book store and pick books and rags. Send a lot of time on YachtWorld.com. Visit a marina or two (or ten) and walk around and talk to people you meet. One thing is nearly for sure, we all love to talk about our boats. Find listed boats close to home for you and call the listing agent to take a look. Once you start getting your feet on boats, you'll learn pretty quickly what you like and what you don't. Do NOT be in a rush!

There is no such thing as a buyer's broker... Only a broker that splits the seller's commission. However, like I said before, if you do find someone that is willing to spend a lot of time with you going to boat after boat, then it might be good to keep him around. The more opinionated the better. That will increase your chances of not being talked into a boat that needs work or one that isn't right for your needs.

Your first boat should be in the best condition as you can afford. One sure way to get you frustrated is for you to spend more time and money fixing a brand new (to you) boat rather than boating.

This may not be the popular opinion around here, but it's the way I see it after having just gone through it two years ago.

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 7th of March 2011 04:30:12 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote