30" Cape Dory Power Yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al Ellis

We are new to your forum. Thinking of buying a 30' 1990 Cape Dory Power Yacht. We live on Buzzards Bay in MA. We want a boat that can cruise at a nice speed and take us to the Islands for the day or Maine for three weeks.

Any thoughts about the Cape Dory 30" Power Cruiser?

Thanks

Check for parts availability on those Volvo's as they do not support many legacy engines. I'd be more likely to use that as bargaining leverage than an excuse not to buy. Cape Dory has a timeless look that should never really go out of style.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. We love the look and we'd be bringing her back to her roots in SE Massachusetts.

Greetings,
Mr. AE. I tend to agree with Mr. CP regarding parts availability for certain Volvo engines although my opinion is based solely on anecdotal "rumors". One other issue that I would be concerned about is space in the ER. Two engines and a generator in there might make it tight for some routine maintenance. When you go and look at her, get into the ER space and try to reach; oil filters, water pumps, stuffing boxes, starter motors, alternators, batteries etc. and consider what position you have to bend your body into to achieve turning a wrench on any particular device. THEN, consider if you can maintain said position for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. Can you get TWO hands into that space WITH a wrench or screwdriver? Space man!

giphy.gif

Personally, I think a Cape Dory 30" Power Cruiser is just a little small.

Cape Dory makes nice trawlers. I had a CD 28, the little sister to this one. It was very well built and ran nice. But it was a gasser.

Twin 200 hp Volvos should push it nicely, but I agree with others that a twin in that hull will be really tight to work on.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom