Old 06-26-2016, 02:20 AM   #72
Star0210
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Here is some follow up on our decks. Big job but now finished. I also included a pic of the rubber wheel used on a drill to remove stickers and such.

We used a ppg epoxy. Same epoxy as used on bridges and oil rigs. Worked wonderfully. These were instructions given me by a boat builder.

1. Prepare surface and sand with 100 grit sandpaper. Use orbital sander.

2. Wipe with wax and grease remover or actions.

3. Tape surface to be textured with green scotch tape. Use 3/4 inch tape as you will be able to contour around tight bends. Use thin 3m contour tape for tight radiuses and put scotch tape on top of 3m tape to secure better.

4. Mix equal parts Amerlock lock cure (catalist) and Amerlock white resin (paint). Have paint store mix whatever color you want into the white resin. Add 10% ppg t10 reducer. Not prescribed T65. Mix well. Roll on with roller 9" made for epoxy.. I also used smaller roller and a brush. for tight places Do not use regular roller as the epoxy will melt it. All of this can be purchased at marine shops or some at Automitive paint stores. Paint in small sections. Make paint even with no high spots.

5. Take coffee can and drill 1/4" holes throughout bottom. Fill with 30 mesh sand. (Two 50 bags will do). You can get this at sandblast shops or perhaps even at homedepot or lowes? Sprinkle sand liberally over painted surface as you paint. Let dry overnight

6. Sweep, blow, vacuumed all excess sand off deck. Repaint again. Let dry

7. Day 3. Pull tape off at right angle to work. It's looking very good now. Retape an inch to each side
of painted surface. Then repaint all again as prescribed above for a third and final time. This retaping will give you a nice boarder and will prevent edges from chipping in the future.

7. Day 4. Using small brush, repaint only 1" edges to cover nicely

8. Day 5. Pull tape and enjoy a drink. Your finished. If you have any questions. Call me 360-600-2202.

9. It is suggested that you use a resperator. I did not as I did not spray and atomize paint, but rolled it. I also used a slight wind to my advantage.
Wow...you're done already!! I'd love to see pictures.

It's so danged hot here we really can't work for long periods of time. Today every couple of hours I'd get off the boat and just hose myself down head to toe just to cool off.
The hardtop cockpit cover is nice and hard now...no more soft spots. I've got all of the upper deck smooth areas sanded and the back side of the flybridge. Tomorrow I will work on the sides and front of the flybridge. As I said before, some areas the heat gun works really well and others my palm sander works better.
For as much as I've been working on it, there's still a WHOLE lot of boat left to do. *sigh*
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote