Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Dropped a couple of tanner crab pots this weekend.
*March 5th early trip for the Great White North.

I had never done this before and it seemed a lot of people on the dock hadn't either.
*as about 10 people boarded my boat for a little trip to pull the crab pots we had placed earlier that day.

The keepers, *we had boiled up by the time we got back to the harbor.

Talk about fresh Tanner crab I was eating them within a 1/2 hour out of the water.

SD

It was a blast.
Perhaps a few to many adult beverages but good times were had by all.

SD

Wonderful! This really makes me a little homesick. As soon as I watched the video I recognized the Alaskan Language and brew of the day. Looks like you guys had a blast. Was the bearded guy Don from over in Whittier?*We used to snatch an occasional crab off the top of our shrimp pots, always a treat. How deep were you soaking? And Roughly where did you drop the pots for the crab. Remember that I asked for Roughly, I'm not up there any more so I'm curious. We have a good time crabbing down here as well. It's a whole different game for sure here, but we are learning.

Rob and Anne
"Lady Anne" Willard 40PH
La Conner, WA/Girdwood, AK

Attachments

• img_0304.jpg
    img_0304.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 72
  • img_0310.jpg
    img_0310.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 78
Rob,

*Dropped them over by the waterfalls about 640 ft. only a 6 hour soak.

No that was Dick he runs the Greer a 34 ft Tolly.

Man I would love to get some dungie's but those tanner sure were sweet.

SD

man that looks good..

i went and got lobster hoops et but was too late the season ended feb 28th.
but come november and i will be ready...

SD, I was looking for this thread to come up under "voyagers" heading.

What a great time.* A few brews and a good crew on the years first outing.* Couldn't be better.* Now, how do we get some of those crabs?

way to go John.

*So do we call you sir now?

*After all you are a published Author.

SD

Thanhs for the compliment. I don't think a knighthood is in the future for me. If I start to sound to much like a fancy wordsmith. I'll retire (again).

All kidding aside.

Well written, humorous*and informative.

You can be proud.

I was also *published in PMM*
*A letter to the editor.
Regarding what a great forum they had at the time.

Not on the same scale as you but cool regardless to see something you wrote published in something viewed by a lot of boat folk around the country.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

All kidding aside.

Well written, humorous*and informative.

You can be proud.

I was also *published in PMM*
*A letter to the editor.
Regarding what a great forum they had at the time.

Not on the same scale as you but cool regardless to see something you wrote published in something viewed by a lot of boat folk around the country.

SD

Now, now SD.* it doesn't count when you suck up to get published.
biggrin.gif

skipperdude wrote:

Rob,

Dropped them over by the waterfalls about 640 ft. only a 6 hour soak.
YIKES,* 640ft?* Is it just Tanners that deep?* How the heck do you store all that line, and then retrieve it?* No pulling by hand, that's for sure.* A few years ago, the boat owner I worked for wanted to soak some shrimp pots, and when we didn't have any luck, he thought they should be deeper. We didn't have a puller at the time, and by the time we were putting them in 400 feet I was ready to explode by the time the pot surfaced.* I told the owner that we needed to get a pot puller, and he looked me square in the eye and said " Why?* That's what I have you for"* Later, we were taking some of his relatives out, and when it was time to pull the pots, I'd pull the first dungy pot in about 50ft, and when we got to the shrimp pots in 400ft, I'd offer to let the guests pull them.* It didn't take long for them to be on to me though.* We got quite a few laughs about that one.( I did install a puller the next year though)............Arctic Traveller

Back
Top Bottom