Water Tank Vent Discharge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petdoc4u

Vessel Name
EXILE
Vessel Make
HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Recently noted water escaping from water tank thru the water tank vent. Vent is through hose located approx 7 feet from tank. When last filled I only filled the tank approx 3/4 full yet once underway fresh water began flowing from the vent. My thought was that perhaps a "siphon" like situation might be responsible but I am at a loss to understand the physics as well as circumstance why this is occurring. Any ideas would be appreciated as this problem results in significant fresh water loss.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
-David

The vent is on the top of the tank. This means at 3/4 capacity, there should be 1/4 of the tanks capacity as head space between the top of the water level and the vent. This rules out siphon.

I can't begin to fathom how this could occur.

Greetings,
Mr. p. Is it possible your route is all downhill?

giphy.gif

Only one explanation: you only THOUGHT you filled the tank just 3/4 full...when in fact, you filled it to overflowing. If there's a gauge on the tank, it may need recalibrating or replacement. If no gauge, your own internal guesstimator may need recalibrating.

Good call RT, or maybe there is a watermaker inside the tank....whoda thought?
The tank has a sight gauge. There are 2 tanks, each 170g. Both were filled to 3/4 per the sight gauge. They do communicate such that we dont have to ever "switch" tanks.
Weird.
Thanks for responses.

If it was filled to only 3/4 full, I can think of only 2 possibilities of it overflowing out the vent.
If it's just a dribble, it could be condensation has filled a low sagging portion of the vent tube, and heat expansion in the tank is pushing this little bit of water out the vent.
The other possibility is that your boat is listing. With the tanks interlinked, water flows to the lower tank causing more of a list, causing more water transfer, causing more list, etc.

Thank you. The "list" seems most likely. I will explore that possibility. As fuel is consumed there could be a shift resulting in a list sufficient to allow water to escape thru the vent.
Thanks again,
-David

We always fill our tanks to overflow .

The vent is a 1/8 hole drilled in the fill cap.

It is out of the weather or sea water access .

A tiny DC pump works so slowly at 2-4 GPM that the 1/8 inch hole is adaquite.

For the more common side deck water fill a small hole in the connecting hose to the tank would work as well.

Sure if you overfilled the tank while dockside a bit of water might run into the bilge , while overfilling.

So?

KISS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom