New refrigerator door open will hit door knob on bathroom door.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I am getting a new apartment sized fridge that is larger. The old fridge also hit the door knob when opening fridge door.
The new fridge has a thicker door so will hit worse.
I am going to remove the door latch-lock completely till I figure out something.

I see there are recessed cup handle door latches. This might work although the cup base wider it seems to me. Ideas? Problem is the bathroom door knob sticks out several inches on the door, so when fridge door swings open it hits the knob.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whol...2363758053.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.12.lMUUGD
Does this lock latch look like for a full sized door lock? One I have is smaller.

Other idea, is there a swing door lock that uses a ball that can simply hold the door closed? When when you pull on door, it clicks open, and you push door closed it clicks shut?

My existing door lock has a smallish knob on the outside you turn to open. Inside of door has a lever you push down to open and a slide to lock the door.

The bathroom door frame angles away at 120* from the front face of fridge door, which will does allow fridge door to swing open more then 90* if that door knob is not in the way.

Last edited:
Take the bathroom door off completely. We're all friends here.

I have a relative who recently bought a new "Mac Mansion". They have no bathroom door either. It's the new thing.

I have a relative who recently bought a new "Mac Mansion". They have no bathroom door either. It's the new thing.

Must be the new thing. My brothers new Mac Mansion has no shower doors in the two largest bathrooms. Of course I could wash a horse in that stall and have room to tie two more up.

You might be able to simply raise the door knob to above the top of the fridge door.

You might be able to simply raise the door knob to above the top of the fridge door.

Fridge is 60 inch tall, that would be a tall knob.:eek:

Lowes sells a Stanley ball catch spring latch for $7, pretty cheap. It does not lock would just hold door shut.

Reverse the bathroom door????

Reverse the bathroom door????

That is a good idea!

I was looking at it and measuring and it appears would work.
I can rotate the door 180* make top the bottom, that will keep me from drilling a new door knob hole. Recessed door hinges need to cut in other side of door frame.

The door knob will be lower by one inch and sit at 35.5 versus 36.5 inches from very bottom of door.

The bathroom door will then swing open against the fridge door. So the bathroom door hinge and the fridge door hinge will be close to each other. and the fridge door can open all the way. Actually it seems more natural to rotate the door considering the people flow in and out of bathroom., the door will be less in the way of the lower cabin, wont stick out so much,

I think OEM set it up so someone can keep bathroom door open and still access the fridge? I usually keep the bathroom door shut, is there any reason to keep the door open all the time?

Back
Top Bottom