What type/brand of lifejackets should we buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
I've been looking around online and the choices are just overwhelming.

We have the standard issue 2 packs of 4 for the boat but I'm looking for something for me and hubby.

For the type of boating we do...River/lake and coastal cruising what do we need?

Why are Mustang's so expensive and is it really necessary to pay that much or would one of the less expensive similar options work just as well?

Our boating is pretty much like yours. We decided on two top of the line Mustang HIT (for us) and another four West Marine coastal auto inflatables. If you're patient, you can catch the WM on sale for $80. As I recall, we got a decent deal on the Mustang vests on Amazon.

We decided that PFDs are not where we wanted to save $$.

We also aded an automatic strobe to each one. $17 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VIXTS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I buy the west marine inflatable when on sale, under 100 dollar. They also come in prettier colors.:flowers:

Our boating is pretty much like yours. We decided on two top of the line Mustang HIT (for us) and another four West Marine coastal auto inflatables. If you're patient, you can catch the WM on sale for $80. As I recall, we got a decent deal on the Mustang vests on Amazon.

We decided that PFDs are not where we wanted to save $$.

We also aded an automatic strobe to each one. $17 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VIXTS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks....I saw the WM coastal inflatables on sale not long ago at WM...maybe Memorial Day weekend. I prob should have picked up a couple of them then.

What is the difference between those and the Mustangs you bought?
I'm not trying to go cheap, just don't want to spend 2-3x the money if I don't need to.

Also are these types a one size fits all? Hubby is about 6' 240lbs and I'm like 5'2" 140 lbs.

Someone just gifted me 6 Mustang vests! Bonus. I can now get rid of the cheap Kapock ones. I also have 2 WM Coastal inflatables that I picked up last year on a 2 for $120 deal...

Someone just gifted me 6 Mustang vests! Bonus. I can now get rid of the cheap Kapock ones. I also have 2 WM Coastal inflatables that I picked up last year on a 2 for $120 deal...

Nice..on both the mustang's and the deal on the WM coastals!!!

We have four inflatables that we keep on the boat. These we brought over from our sail boats. My wife and I each have one that is adjusted for us, then another that is left adjusted for my skinny daughter. We wear the inflatables for most of our docking maneuvers or if we need to go to the bow for anything unless it is flat calm. They are kept out while under way so we can easily throw them on. All but one of the inflatables are from WM, 3 are the Coastal you linked to. Again, look for sales and they aren't too bad.

We also have a pack of 4 cheap PFDs (typical WM in a bag) that are kept under the PH bench seat with all the emergency gear. Those are never worn but we keep them so that we have a total of 8 PFDs on board. If we have more than that many folks on board, then we will bring some other older PFDs to the boat.

I am a huge fan of inflatables. They typically are not as "safe" as non-inflatable, but they are easy to put on, comfortable to wear, and not unnecessarily bulky. My thought is that a PFD that you wear is much better than any fantastic PFD that you won't.

One other point is it is a good idea to check the expiry on the CO2 cylinders. This is something that I am notoriously bad at doing. Now that I think about it, it is time that I did it again.

Dave, not sure why you think inflatables aren't as safe?

You already hit the first biggie about wearing one....

My wife and I wear our Mustang auto-inflates from the time we are getting ready to get under way, till the time we are docked and tied down. We also have a couple of the 6 packs on board to make the mandatory count for guests. We also have 2 offshore type jackets for really foul weather/seas.

Dave, not sure why you think inflatables aren't as safe?

You already hit the first biggie about wearing one....

I am not convinced that they are always going to be as effective as a non-inflatable. I have no real evidence at all to support that impression however. I have happily used them for years and will continue to because I don't think any differences are that significance and pale in comparison to having something that is going to be regularly used.

Scott can confirm, but I think inflatables only count, in the eyes of the Coast Guard, if they are worn. Draped over the helm seat or "close by" don't count.

Actually, most inflatables have more buoyancy and are better designed to roll you face up and the extra buoyancy holds your face higher.

Some older inflatables had to be worn to count...not so anymore I believe.

The inside label says it all.

Mine are actually difficult to read....they have the lifting harness which makes them have a funny statement in the wearing/classification label...it says type II if used IAW the owners manual.

But I think many of the new ones are classified that they need not be worn....heck, they are easier to Don than the type Is and IIs.

The USCG was supposed to dump the old classification systemany time now.

Thanks ps. Good info.

I had heard that the USCG was supposedly coming up with a new classification but don't know what happened to the.

Scott can confirm, but I think inflatables only count, in the eyes of the Coast Guard, if they are worn. Draped over the helm seat or "close by" don't count.

Thats correct....we have two for Admural & Capt. I thought they wete OK if not worn but after investigating I couldn't find ANY that did not require to be worn. We just keep enough conventional aboard to be legal.

Thats correct....we have two for Admural & Capt. I thought they wete OK if not worn but after investigating I couldn't find ANY that did not require to be worn. We just keep enough conventional aboard to be legal.

I couldn't find a reference that confirms this. Are you saying that for an inflatable to be considered as an approved PFD on the vessel that it actually has to be worn? I.e. As soon as you take it off it is no longer an approved PFD?

I couldn't find a reference that confirms this. Are you saying that for an inflatable to be considered as an approved PFD on the vessel that it actually has to be worn? I.e. As soon as you take it off it is no longer an approved PFD?

No it is still approved, just doesn't get added to the number of required PFDs for the number of persons aboard.

Reading that link..... seems the USCG thinks there are a proved type I and II inflatables.

Here is another listed as a type II

https://www.amazon.com/Revere-Comfo...etailBullets_secondary_view_div_1466785561701

About this item

Features

USCG approved for persons at least 16 years of age - Type II - 35lbs of buoyancyDual waist belt stainless steel adjusters, 2" waist strap and dual adjustable back strapsSOLAS-grade retro-reflective tape on inflatable bladder, includes whistleHeavy duty 420 denier nylon outer coverThe neck area has no Velcro or edge binding to cause chafing or abrasion for all-day comfort

Looks like the entire line of Revere Comfort max inflatables are type II or III approved except the ones with harnesses. They are like mine and actually you can argue they can be considered also as long as you read the manual.

https://www.fondriest.com › pdf › revere...

Last edited:
There was a rumor here that Maritime in NSW did not regard an inflatable type as an approved lifejacket unless it was inflated. I pressed them on it, they said it was not correct.
Even so, not inflated it offers no protection, thus automatic inflation exists for good reason. But the inflation system, manual or automatic,is required to have annual servicing here. We`ve got them, but in a way I`m happier with the close fitting jacket types supplied in a range of sizes, which we also have on board.

Yea don't rely on auto inflation. There's been many cases of them not working like they should. If you're doing coastal cruising, I assume your boat has a cabin and you sleep onboard, etc. Type 1 PFDs that are stowed in easily accessible places are all you need. A work vest or 2 would be all you need if you choose to wear one while working on deck or are docking. There's no need to wear one while you're in the cabin.

Auto inflate with manual backup.

Psneed, thanks for the information.

SaltyDawg86; said:
Yea don't rely on auto inflation. There's been many cases of them not working like they should.
My concern with auto inflate is that I have been known to take a dive, without forethought, in places where a PFD would not be needed, resulting in a unnecessary inflate. That means more cartridges and more dates to check. Also, a rarity I know, but capsize is not unheard of.

I think, all things considered, I would prefer to be in control of when she blows.

Auto inflation for old style vests was common when stored in humid environments.

The Sea Tow vest I had would self inflate every 18 months or so...the ones in my nice dry trawler havent self inflated once in 5 years.

The newer auto inflates work on air pressure, not bobbins that melt in water...they should be excruciatingly reliable.

Better to have self inflate and be able to deflate than unconcious and unable to inflate. Most usage of PFDS unless abandoning ship are inadvertent falls overboard...self inflate in that situation is invaluable.

Last edited:

Dave
Thats exactly what the label states...
RECREATIONAL INFLATABLE TYPE IV WITH TYPE III PERFORMANCE APPROVED ONLY WHEN WORN

That is for my West Marine Offshore model with manual inflation and harness D rings
My Admirals is the same WM w harness except hers is auto inflate
I called Mustang and inquired if there wete any models that are approved or count if not worn and their answer was NO
I also searched online and all I found stated the same requirement

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20160625_071441.jpg
    ForumRunner_20160625_071441.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 83
I use an auto inflate vest and sometimes realize I'm still wearing it when climbing into the truck after docking and tying up Badger. This is a good thing. Also, it easily fits over winter outerwear and is comfortable/cool in the summer.

I use an auto inflate vest and sometimes realize I'm still wearing it when climbing into the truck after docking and tying up Badger. This is a good thing. Also, it easily fits over winter outerwear and is comfortable/cool in the summer.
Excellent comment and endorsement. Not only for practicality but, spoken into the right camera would fetch you about 5 grand in use fees.:D

Back
Top Bottom