Getting serious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

folivier

After reading the post on Do it Now, I've decided to get serious about finally getting a trawler. I kept looking for that perfect boat but finally realized that it may never float by. Especially on my $50k budget. So rather than sit and wait for it I decided to change my needs (actually wants) to look for one in good condition. In other words I would rather have a boat that isn't the perfect layout or passage maker but gets me out on the water.
I'm not getting any younger and don't know what the future holds.
So tomorrow my DW and I are taking a 3 hour road trip to see a Mainship 40 double cabin. And if it is nice enough then I may be looking for a surveyor and then a slip in Mandeville or Slidell, LA.
Wish me luck!

Good luck-I was in the same boat a few years ago. Decided on an Atlantic 30 for a starter boat. Didn't know if I'd like the trawler lifestyle. Have enjoyed making her my own, and the slow pace. After four 5 day cruises I now know what I need-much different than what I want. Anyway, no boat is perfect. Go for it.

Good luck! There are a few slips available in our Marina in Mandeville. Marina Beau Chene.
We absolutely love it there.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465853017.513515.jpg

Good luck, hope to see you out on the water one of these days!

Good Luck! We have a 40 DC mainship and absolutely LOVE IT! If there's anything I can help with, please feel free to ask! Either here or via private msg

Great News !!! With all the forum members on board now, may be Star can get us a gathering place for the Wooden Boat Show in Madisonville to meet. What do you all think about this?

Every year yes, every year that I sell boats I hear from a potential boat buyer that something has come up that prevents them from going after their dreams. Health issues of themselves or a family member is the most common.
Go for it!!!

Thanks for the kind words. And yes Tucker I don't want to be that guy!
The Mainship looked pretty good. The hull was dull but not chalky. Didn't see any soft spots or obvious spots of rot. A few water stains inside on the (non-oiled) teak. Needs a real good cleaning inside, but I guess any boat will.
Aft shower is narrow, not sure if it will work for me. My wife liked the layout especially the galley. The carpet will need to be replaced but not too soon. Formica countertop is peeling up and needs replacing with something else. Engines started up quickly with only some black smoke. We'll talk about it more and maybe see it again next week. We both felt comfortable with the broker. He answered questions and seemed honest. We plan to see a 43' Hatteras motor yacht with him on Friday. Then there is an older 42' Bertram motor yacht I'll call about tomorrow.

Great News !!! With all the forum members on board now, may be Star can get us a gathering place for the Wooden Boat Show in Madisonville to meet. What do you all think about this?

Sounds like a good idea to us!

There's a guy who lives in our marina that I met last week who is also a member of these forums but I don't know what his username is.

Bill, if you see this chime in please!

Good luck and enjoy. There is no perfect boat, and there is always something broken needing to be fixed. :blush:

There are real deals out there for 50K, but ya gotta be brave. Sometimes there's a good one that the owner is just tired of hanging on to, others can be boats that are "almost finished refits" that the wife is fed up with. Make sure to check Craigslist, Ebay, and the free convenience store boat rags too.

I bough mine 1974 MT DC for $10,000. After 7 month "on hard" and a lot of work, The boat is floating at marina. So far, I have additional $15,000 invested in that boat. At this point, it is ready for a trip, just some small cosmetic work and cleaning left.

'Sounds like a good idea to us!'

I am bringing Scot Free to New Orleans next week. Gonna hang around until the Wooden Boat festival then head east and south. Would love to hang out in Madisonville with the rest of the local TF guys. I go every year anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I bough mine 1974 MT DC for $10,000. After 7 month "on hard" and a lot of work, The boat is floating at marina. So far, I have additional $15,000 invested in that boat. At this point, it is ready for a trip, just some small cosmetic work and cleaning left.

That is a lot of work, but it sure looks like it is paying off for you. :thumb:

Found some electrical issue - fixed most of them, but the wiring on this boat is a nightmare. Someone did wiring before and screw up really bad. Someone had stupid idea of changing colors of the wiring. From black to read half a way and red to black. Touching red wire to a battery - spark flying. Chase the wire down and turn to black to ground. I am having a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom