I know nothing about Trawlers, but boated lots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome! Sit back and absorb, as if by osmosis. Plenty of good information will come your way.
We spent an enjoyable several weeks in BC and Alberta very recently. Spectacular country, and very welcoming people.

Thanks ☺
I was born in Port Alberni on Vancouver Island.
So the sea is in my blood.
I fly up and down the coastline of BC frequently as well.
My daughter grew up around boats, helicopters, motorbikes, and old school cars.
So its in her blood to.
If she has time off from work she is either with me, or stealing my boat to head out fishing.
She doesn't think anything of running out 60 miles off the coast to fish some and run back in.
As my only child after her sister died, I worry some, but won't stop her from having a great life because I worry.
She flies helicopters and planes to, so is more likely probably to crash a helicopter than die fishing.
I am incredibly blessed to have such an amazing girl!

Anyone care to suggest any good aluminum hull trawler builders?
Or is it more a smaller boat thing?
It seems mostly to be glass or steel from what I see.
I have had mostly aluminum boats, helicopters, planes, and even my fuel hauling company uses aluminum trailers behind aluminum skinned Peterbilts.
So may look into getting an aluminum as well.
Seems that the majority like Kadeys are glass.
Puncture resistance okay with glass if i hit a log or something?

Hi,
For displacement hulls in aluminium you likely will need to look at a
custom build.
Look for some of the yards that build commercial fishboats,
Shore Boat Builders in Richmond is one that built in aluminium. I've
seen Manly boats in steel.
For fibreglass Pelagic Pacific (no longer in business) and Gooldrup
built larger hulls that would make the log cry if you hit it.:rofl:
Find one of their 60 to 75 foot fishboats and have it redone to your
specs.

Ted

Anyone care to suggest any good aluminum hull trawler builders?
Or is it more a smaller boat thing?
It seems mostly to be glass or steel from what I see.
I have had mostly aluminum boats, helicopters, planes, and even my fuel hauling company uses aluminum trailers behind aluminum skinned Peterbilts.
So may look into getting an aluminum as well.
Seems that the majority like Kadeys are glass.
Puncture resistance okay with glass if i hit a log or something?

There was a custom aluminum trawler for sale in the Olympia area a couple months ago. Not sure if it is still on the market.

And for you, and taken from your own post, so you should know this...
Where was the Hamilton Jet-boat invented and by whom..?
'course, if you get this wrong...well... :eek:

Actually, according to Bill Hamilton, "I do not claim to have invented marine jet propulsion. The honour belongs to a gentleman named Archimedes, who lived some years ago."

He did however, make significant improvements in the design.

Here's a video of one of his early boats on the Colorado river. Is this what you do for excitement, Fly?

And for you, and taken from your own post, so you should know this...
Where was the Hamilton Jet-boat invented and by whom..?
'course, if you get this wrong...well... :eek:
My immediate suspicions were readily confirmed by an amateur DIY online "encyclopaedia".

My immediate suspicions were readily confirmed by an amateur DIY online "encyclopaedia".

Wifey B: Actually go to Hamilton's website and you get a very nice history too. Pretty cool I think. Did I say, "I Love Jets?" Well, I do. We just have jet tenders but one day.....:D

Sounds like if aluminum is that uncommon I may look at fiberglass first then.
So hull by Nordhaven, Kadey, Seaton, Sea spirit, Selene etc can take a reasonable bump into a log etc okay.
No i don't mean crashing into sharp rocks etc.
Just reasonable hits?
Sorry for my ignorance.

Some really nice boats 55 to 70 feet range.

Seems many run twins and i hoped for less maintenance with a single but not totally against a twin.

Seems some builders like John deere engines are they good?

Makes me think of a green farm tractor ☺

Actually, according to Bill Hamilton, "I do not claim to have invented marine jet propulsion. The honour belongs to a gentleman named Archimedes, who lived some years ago."

He did however, make significant improvements in the design.

Here's a video of one of his early boats on the Colorado river. Is this what you do for excitement, Fly?

That was cool.
Jet pumps are impractical for anything but rivers due to being very inefficient, but a blast to run on stuff or up 3 or 4 inches of water at 50 mph.

That was cool.
Jet pumps are impractical for anything but rivers due to being very inefficient, but a blast to run on stuff or up 3 or 4 inches of water at 50 mph.

Wifey B: But they're fun...fun, fun, fun as in fun, fun, fun till your daddy takes your T-Bird away. :)

Well Now............. Nowhere.
Sounds like deep pockets.. Good with your wish list you'll need them. But that's exactly what its for. Take that list to Kaddey Selene or Nordhvn. They will hook a brotha up. 55 to 65 foot perrrrrrrrrfect. Then holler back I'll let you know where I'll be we can learn to sail them together just started the trawler adventure myself.

Fly because I grew up in an aviation family and my parents wanted me to have an odd name I guess.
They were fixed wing pilots.
I started off in fixed wing but become hooked on rotary wing at age 19 and flown helicopters far more than planes the last 25 years.

Oh and to answer your question...Bill Hamilton from New Zealand ☺

Thank you Google ☺☺☺

Welcome to Trawler Forum...whew...you passed. :D

(Just as well Google is allowed, or I'd hafta ban yuh...:socool:)

Sorry WifeyB, maybe next time you get the chochy... :flowers:

Wifey B: But they're fun...fun, fun, fun as in fun, fun, fun till your daddy takes your T-Bird away. :)

If you are ever in BC and I am around take you for a ride in a 17' Bratt. As mild or wild as you and your family wants....can only take 4 people maximum though. Its not built to be spacious or luxurious. I don't call it the Rock Machine for no reason.
If not used to just jumping logs and sliding over gravel bars it takes a bit to get used to.

Well Now............. Nowhere.
Sounds like deep pockets.. Good with your wish list you'll need them. But that's exactly what its for. Take that list to Kaddey Selene or Nordhvn. They will hook a brotha up. 55 to 65 foot perrrrrrrrrfect. Then holler back I'll let you know where I'll be we can learn to sail them together just started the trawler adventure myself.

Just deep enough I can relax and enjoy life.....not Bill Gates deep or even close to it.
That sounds nice.
What do you have now?

I bought a 2011 Demo never owned privately bare bones 54' Seahorse it's there in Seattle getting some of that very stuff you had on your wish list added. I'm a large Trawler virgin. I spent the last three or four years doing the research to find something that I thought would be a fit. Our paths seem very similar.

Well Nowhere, if you have the financial resources to consider a new or newish boats in that size range forget the used custom aluminum in Oly, lol.

With that kind of money to spend, I would definitely spend some time chartering some of those high end boats. It could help you make a more informed choice. Go with a captained charter and you will have the chance to see a pro run the boats and see what you like. Any of those boats would be great, it comes down to what features and layout you like.

Welcome to Trawler Forum...whew...you passed. :D

(Just as well Google is allowed, or I'd hafta ban yuh...:socool:)

Sorry WifeyB, maybe next time you get the chochy... :flowers:

Hahahahahahahaha thanks for not banning me yet. :thumb:

I joined a forum a few years ago, and was banned in 1 day. ;)

Interesting as that is. I'm leaning towards new or newer.

I have been reading stuff for a while now, and figured it was finally time to join one of the places i have read from....this seemed like the best fit for me as a forum so joined on.
Hopefully by 2017 i know enough about Trawlers to buy one and not make too bad of a choice.
Every thing is a compromise.
So hope to get a boat that does most stuff i want fairly well.
No one boat will be the perfect ocean crosser, and best deck and entertainment place at anchor, and perfect fishing platform, and as roomy as I may want, or require as little maintenance as I hope.
But in time i should be able to make a reasonable choice.
I started thinking a year ago that gee an older 100 footer or so is great....then realized I need a crew to feasiblydo that, and i have no desire to travel with crew or pay for crew for the next 10 or 15 years.
Under 70 feet if i go slow and use patience , and learn from experienced people who teach me how to do it right, I should be able to handle it alone with my GF or daughter.

Sounds reasonable. Met a guy two years ago that lives on and essentially single hands a 70' Hatteras motor yacht. Take it slow and set up your boat right and it can work. I'd never want that much maintenance though.

Good luck

Well Nowhere, if you have the financial resources to consider a new or newish boats in that size range forget the used
custom aluminum in Oly, lol.

With that kind of money to spend, I would definitely spend some time chartering some of those high end boats. It could help you make a more informed choice. Go with a captained charter and you will have the chance to see a pro run the boats and see what you like. Any of those boats would be great, it comes down to what features and layout you like.

Thanks.
I spent time aboard a few other people's boats.
Learned fast a small engine room is a no no.
A water maker will be a must for me.
Redundancy is nice in some systems.
I am desiring a bigger and faster tender than is most common.
The main helm station has to seat at least 2 so my company and I can sit beside each other.
I must have the ability to cook outside as well as inside.
A covered and open deck spot to sit is a must depending on the weather.
You can't have to more anchor chain....i was onboard a 85 footer without the ability to anchor in deep water which strikes me as stupid.
Seriously he had to be in 80 feet or less of water as he had just 250 feet on an 85 footer....i want 400 feet as a very very minimum...prefer 600 if i can.
Lots of doors for a breeze to blow through and also makes packing groceries etc in easier if you have a door into the kitchen area.
A good powered tender lift cannot be an area to skimp at all.
Never leave home with less than 4 good pairs of sunglasses because you will lose and break them at the most inconvenient time.
Get a good laundry washer/dryer....its amazing how much laundry people make.
I like watching tv at night onboard as my sort of connection to the outside world, but barely ever watch tv at home.
Its impossible to carry to many spare parts, tools or manuals.
Never anchor beside loud people or I'll not sleep or relax until i move miles away....wow does sound carry over water.
Never pass up a marina with a cleaning service to scrub your boat down professionally. ...its the best money spent and saves me doing it.
Fuel really isn't that expensive....its just a pain to pack enough of it, so get the biggest fuel tanks possible.
Don't be cheap and just get a bow thruster....if no talent like me having a bow and stern thrusters both is worth a kings ransom in possible damge prevention and hurting my ego ☺

And self learning is what i already new....cooking bacon naked hurts.
But to my very core I am a loner to extremes.
Sitting on a mountain top alone, or on a boat for days alone my soul is so calm.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. Met a guy two years ago that lives on and essentially single hands a 70' Hatteras motor yacht. Take it slow and set up your boat right and it can work. I'd never want that much maintenance though.

Good luck

I considered a fishing style yacht like that a few years ago.
Fast and great for fishing.
Not practical to live on for years and years as i circle the globe.
And carry huge fuel bladders to get any range etc.
I am serious about leaving in 3 or maybe 4 years from now to circle as much of the earth as ice packs and common sense allow.
Especially looking forward to the Antarctica and the Mediterranean sea and Fjords in Norway.

I considered a fishing style yacht like that a few years ago.
Fast and great for fishing.

Hatteras MY's aren't fishing style.

As to size and 70' and single handing, actually handling a 70' boat isn't any different than a 40' boat. However, maintaining it is decidedly different especially if it has the extra equipment most would expect it to have. Just maintenance like wash downs, bottom cleaning. painting, mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, are typically 3 to 4 times the work on a 70'. Then you have equipment. We're on a 65' which some call 69' and is the same as a 63' right now and my wife and I could, I could, easily handle it alone. However, without help we'd quickly become slaves to maintaining it.

Hatteras MY's aren't fishing style.

As to size and 70' and single handing, actually handling a 70' boat isn't any different than a 40' boat. However, maintaining it is decidedly different especially if it has the extra equipment most would expect it to have. Just maintenance like wash downs, bottom cleaning. painting, mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, are typically 3 to 4 times the work on a 70'. Then you have equipment. We're on a 65' which some call 69' and is the same as a 63' right now and my wife and I could, I could, easily handle it alone. However, without help we'd quickly become slaves to maintaining it.

My bad.
I thought you meant like this Hatteras Yachts | 70GT Convertible Sportfishing Yacht

That is the style i think of when i hear the name Hatteras.

Fiberglass, steel, or aluminum?
Do i have to run twin diesels in the 60 to 70 foot range?
Preferably a top quality single is my dream boat as I am not going for big speeds.
Best engines are what a Cat or yanmar or????
Top quality boats are who? Reliable is key from systems to wiring, to switches and hull as well as just fancy cabinet doors and wood.
Selene, Kadeey, or one of the many many others...i have no preference at this time.
Walk around or full width cabin?
Side doors and how many are best?
Electronics....what do i really need anyways?
What water makers and freezers and generators and batteries and.....?
Can i fish a litte off it if it has a friend or my GT captaining it? Yes i get that trolling and netting are not going to be super easy off it....but dang i want to fish some to and not just from the tender if any possible way?
Heating and cooling?
Legal issues to roam the many oceans and seas? Jail doesn't sound like fun!

Howdy HN - Linda and I just returned from 5 days aboard. Going through email now IMO - Boating is for boating... I don't play on computer, go to forum or even do general email while on boat (except on I-phone for biz or family needs that may come up). Planning to answer your post in near future. All I relate will be my opinion and experience...soooo, as always... YRMV!! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom