Charts for the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfelds

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kokomo
Vessel Make
Hatteras LRC 48
We're planning a trip to the islands this winter and looking for advice on finding reasonably reliable charts to download, either RNC or ENC. Where should I look? Thanks. Jim

M/V Kokomo
Hatteras 48 LRC

There are no NOAA RNC or ENC charts of the Bahamas. The Explorer charts are some of the best and they are paper. Some cartography suppliers use the Explorer data in their charts, Jeppesen/C-Map being one. You can download Jeppesen's Plan2Nav app for Androids and then buy their East Coast charts for a few bucks. The Bahamas detail is very nice. C-Map chips for permanently installed chart plotters may also use the same data.

David

Garmin Blue Charts worked great for me. It appears their charts may be a copy of the Explorer charts. Had the Explorer chartbook also and the info always matched.

Rafe

Yep, Explorer charts with the preploted course lines are best for the Bahamas. C-Map electronic charts are based on the Explorer data. They have served me well over there.

Where exactly are you going? If just The Abacos, the Dodge Guide is all you will need.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I downloaded "Coastal Explorer" to my PC for trial, and I like being able to plan ahead sitting at my desk on my laptop. The charts I could download from them I think come from NOAA which take me out to Great Inagua Island and then to DR and eventually to PR but my thinking is to try Turks and Caicos. The chartplotter that came with the boat supports CMap chips, some are on board of course but to my knowledge, there's no way to interface to PC. Am I missing something? Thanks. Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom