New Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellico Bob

Vessel Name
Twilight Time
Vessel Make
1986 48' Californian MY
I am in the process of installing all new electronics on my 1986 Callifornian 48MY and need to repair many many holes in the helm area on the bridge. Way to many holes to repair in the gel coat. Anyone know of some kind of material available to cover the existing holes/area? Some of the holes left from previous items are 1 inch. I am not mounting any of the new electronics in this area and the area in question is flat. I am looking for something like SeaDek as a possibility that can be cut to size and conform to the curves.

Good idea but I believe it is thicker than I can use. Also I do not believe there is any way to glue star board to gel coat. I would like something 1/16 or less.

Good idea but I believe it is thicker than I can use. Also I do not believe there is any way to glue star board to gel coat. I would like something 1/16 or less.

Lot's of Formica product.

If it does not have to be structural you might look at the fiberglass panels at Home Depot or Lowes for shower enclosures. Another option would be aluminum panels. Either way you would need some kind of edge treatment so it does not look too tacky.

Marty........................

I'm using smoked plexiglass and painting the backside gloss black. Gives a deep shiny finish. Pictures when I'm done

I'm using these guys to build a small panel. They use 1/8" thick ABS. I can't personally recommend them yet, but they came recommended. They may be able to recommend/source other materials.

New Wire Marine - Custom Switch Panels

ABS is what we use to redo a panel, it had a smooth surface on one side with a stippel finish on the other, looks great and comes in various thickness.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your ideas. This is a work in progress. I can fill the holes but I don't see a finish product, color, and texture I will be happy with unless I cover it. I have two new 10" MFD's that will be mounted left and right of the helm so the area that use to have a big old radar mounted on it is my problem.

Starboard and mechanical attach with machine screws and finish washers. Easy to work. Paint with Fusion paint if you want a special color.

Copper sheet on top side 1/4 starboard on back side. I had a table with copper sheet top (like a bar top) the had a nice weathered look (no shine) thin enough and will wear like iron with no maintenance required, easy to work with (unless you want to).

Just an out of the box suggestion.

Be careful with ABS...mine didn't do well in the sun...3 years and it severely faded and the thins tuff became brittle..

NJ summers, FL winter trip was the sun range.

The inside stuff still looks great.

Last edited:
Choose something you can poke more holes in to mount the next series of electric toys.

Bob, I just installed new electronics on my Mainship and dealt with what I think you are describing. Here is a link to the thread. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s11/electronics-install-26524.html
I made templates with cardboard traced to flooring under layment cut out with router to the right fit and then traced to starboard and used a router to cut finished panel. I don't work with a router much and was very happy with the outcome.

A while back, I posted a thread on a panel I designed online and had a perfect version delivered a week or so later. It's a high quality aluminum panel with black finish and white lettering imprinted or engraved. Can't look for the thread now, but will try to add it later. Maybe someone else will find it first.

Bottom line, I was impressed with the quality, accuracy and relative ease for a newbie like me to download and use their design software. The price wasn't bad either...about $80 IIRC.

img_451344_0_6a573fd0599c17e45bc3f0118ab55ff4.jpg

A while back, I posted a thread on a panel I designed online and had a perfect version delivered a week or so later. It's a high quality aluminum panel with black finish and white lettering imprinted or engraved. Can't look for the thread now, but will try to add it later. Maybe someone else will find it first.

Bottom line, I was impressed with the quality, accuracy and relative ease for a newbie like me to download and use their design software. The price wasn't bad either...about $80 IIRC.

img_451356_0_6a573fd0599c17e45bc3f0118ab55ff4.jpg

So? Where the link? :D

Back
Top Bottom