My 3 favorite books about boats that I have read more than once are......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doug wrote:

Another great book of BC Coast Stories: Full Moon, Flood Tide by Bill Proctor

Full Moon, Flood Tide is no conventional cruising guide, but an indispensable companion for travellers around northern Vancouver Island, Fife Sound, Wells Passage, Blackfish Sound and Tribune Channel. Maps illustrate the places Proctor describes, in an order suitable for visiting by boat. Brimming with coastal lore and sprinkled liberally with Yvonne Maximchuks line drawings, this fascinating volume pays tribute to pioneers who wrested a livelihood from forest and sea even as it makes a passionate plea to preserve the wilderness.
Started, and so far it is great.* Since we have spent some time in these waters it is particularly interesting.* Thank you.

Another book that is a must read for boaters. South to Alaska by Nancy Owens Barnes.It's a story (true) about a farmer/handyman that built a 40 some foot steel boat in his
back yard and ran it (mostly single handed) from Arkansas to Ketchikan Alaska through
the Panama Canal. He did it on Danforth anchors and an old DD. His dream started in 1926 and he arrived in Ketchikan in 1973.

nomadwilly wrote:
Another book that is a must read for boaters. South to Alaska by Nancy Owens Barnes.
It's a story (true) about a farmer/handyman that built a 40 some foot steel boat in his
back yard and ran it (mostly single handed) from Arkansas to Ketchikan Alaska through
the Panama Canal. He did it on Danforth anchors and an old DD. His dream started in 1926 and he arrived in Ketchikan in 1973.
EricThat is an awesome book, about an incredible individual, and a very understanding wife.*
smile.gif

Cary,Ive still got a few pages to go.

Cary wrote:
"and a very understanding wife.". I know there's some great wives right on the forum.
Mine for example. She's been through lots of beam seas, head seas, wind and shaky anchorages, completing the day in the dark, cooking under way and taking care of her cat during all of it. When head seas exceed 7' the cat goes up in the chain locker but she goes weightless and airborne on every crest. Chris goes up and gets her *...cat really dosn't like Airborne *...you should hear her scream. I slow way down but weightless still happens.
Anyway Chris is a great partner on the boat.
Anyway thanks for saying that Carey as more will go get the book and we know the benefit of that. Is Marin traveling?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 06:29:57 PM

Another good read is "Life of Pi", it's fiction but a great story of survival at sea.

Does anybody know about Kindle's * *... the reading thing that has books in it?

nomadwilly wrote:

Does anybody know about Kindle's * *... the reading thing that has books in it?
Eric, I don't have one but I know several people that have them or similar products. I've never used*one but people I know love them. They can buy books for much cheaper than paperback and they claim a good selection of books are*available online to purchase.

We have a Kindle.* Particularly great for air or car travelers who want to keep the volume of books they haul around smaller.* Cruising SE Alaska I am able to trade paperbacks in for others at many harbors, so I haven't yet taken it cruising with me.

Another nice thing about it is that there are lots of older books available for no charge or $0.99.* If you have friends with Kindles you can share books.* And you can load a PDF and read it on a Kindle.

Another great book that is testimomy to the human spirit is "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum. A true story that I believe was first written in 1900. He is credited with being the first to circumnavigate the Globe alone. The name of the boat was Spray.

Anthonyd wrote:

Another great book that is testimomy to the human spirit is "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum. A true story that I believe was first written in 1900. He is credited with being the first to circumnavigate the Globe alone. The name of the boat was Spray.
That should be on the list, for sure.

I second the comments on the Kindle.* I have a study Bible on mine and about 50 other books in a device that weighs a few ounces.* Slocum's book is available to download in 10 seconds for a price of $0.00.* New books are $9.95 - $13.95, but classics are frequently a few cents or free if they are in the public domain.* Sometimes the public doman books are a bit funky in terms of formatting, but always completely readable.* One of the main advantages is that you can set the print size to whatever you want.* On a treadmill, I set the print large and can still read even in motion.* Very handy.* Biggest disadvantage is that illustrations and maps are frequently useless, so this isn't the perfect alternative to print, just an alterntive that has a lot of applications.

When first investigating the Kindle, I downloaded "Kindle for Mac" to my laptop. It is awesome and it's free. It's also available for PCs. Since then, we did buy my wife the newest Kindle, and she won't leave it alone.

As you can imagine, the laptop version isn't as convenient, mostly due to size and glare, but is a nice way to see how you feel about electronic reading. I do intend to buy a Kindle for myself, as it's much nicer on an airplane, or in the airport.

Got another book to add.Rowing to Latitude
Jill Fredston
Jill and her husband rowed unbelievable distances and places. All the way from Great slave lake in Canada to Kotzebue Alaska, Seattle to Skagway, all the Norway coast and many more trips. They used modified 2 place Kayaks. One boat for each of them. They rowed in many places most of us would'nt go w our trawlers.

nomadwilly wrote:

Got another book to add.
Rowing to Latitude
Jill Fredston
Jill and her husband rowed unbelievable distances and places. All the way from Great slave lake in Canada to Kotzebue Alaska, Seattle to Skagway, all the Norway coast and many more trips. They used modified 2 place Kayaks. One boat for each of them. They rowed in many places most of us would'nt go w our trawlers.
That sounds really good.* Thanks Eric.

Found another book.

Seven Seas on a Shoe-String
Dwight Long

I hope I'm not duping but it's another true story by the skipper, a young fellow in the 30s. Very good.

Back
Top Bottom