RIP Ron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
Thought I'd pass this sad news on to a broader audience...

"just a short note to let those on trawler forum, know that my very good friend, 'ron, of windmist' fame, passed on, tuesday, may the 25th..he will truly be missed!...his friend, clyde"

Condolences. Fair winds Ron...

giphy.gif

Oh no! I'm truly sorry to learn this. Ron and I had formed a friendship through the years. A road trip to Port Orchard several years ago ended with me riding along with Ron in his former boat, the Helmsman 38PH, on a local one hour fuel run.

We enjoyed each other's company and shared many emails and phone calls through the years. We had a couple of friendly bets on his favorite Seahawks vs. our SF 49ers. I won't get the chance to pay him his winnings...a dinner cruise on FlyWright.

I'll miss Ron's weekly emails filled with great nostalgia, one liners and political humor. My sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends.

It's a sad day.

Terrible news. Sincerest condolences to those close to Ron.

Ron has been very helpful and friendly to me as a newbie. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Ron's TF signature: "The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home."

Seems like he missed a stage or two.

Sorry, and a bit frightened, to hear this about a TF regular.

Over the past 4 years I've lost a number of family, friends and acquaintances. Last summer I had my own cancer scare and surgery and may be facing radiation treatment this summer. Life's too short. I am seriously re-evaluating my life and options for going forward. This was a major reason for selling Moon Dance, I just couldn't find time to use her. But I'm getting the itch for another boat - maybe a 23'-27' walkaround style boat will do the trick.

My enthusiasm for my job is rapidly declining, I really don't want to be found dead, face down on my keyboard.

Attachments

• ComputerSkeleton8x6.jpg
    ComputerSkeleton8x6.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 382
This took the wind outta my sails too. Didn't know him as well as others but Keith last year and now Ron makes you notice. The big C has brought a lot of choices into pretty sharp focus for me too Darryl. Recently fire sold Bliss and a bunch of other crap that was cluttering up my life.

Thinking about a small Boston Whaler next year and a motor home. Driving to Alaska is more attainable at this point in my life anyway.

So sorry to hear about Ron-my condolences to his family and those who knew him. He will be missed here.

BL-work does lose some of its luster in these times. I am not opposed to being found on the toilet, as long as it is a Vacuflush, but I would prefer in the helm chair with hands on the wheel.

Mark-I recall that in his signature. Skipping the nursing home stage I would consider a blessing!

FWIW, I will need to have cancer surgery in the next couple of years. Cancer won't kill me however. Even so, the diagnosis did prompt me to start looking ahead and making plans instead of just cruising on autopilot.

My Dad was working 3 days/week when he wasn't out sailing when he died. My wife was bothered that he never fully retired before he died, but it didn't bother me. He really enjoyed work and he really enjoyed having time to sail. The best of both worlds.

Likely, his only regret would have been that he had he died at the beginning of his last cruise to BC rather than at the end. He was also fortunate that he died quickly. He was dead 2 days after having a stroke on his boat anchored in Telegraph Harbor. Fortunately, he had to good sense to not actually die until after he was airlifted to Harborview in Seattle. The paperwork would have been troublesome otherwise.

WOW, that's quite a shock. I was unaware that Ron was in ill health. I, too, have shared some e-mails with Ron. He will be missed.

I hope Ron is riding fair seas with following winds.

I didn't know Ron, but my condolences to his family.

I am so very sorry. He was a worthy OTDE adversary. I will miss his acid wit. Very sad, as am I.

This took the wind outta my sails too. Didn't know him as well as others but Keith last year and now Ron makes you notice. The big C has brought a lot of choices into pretty sharp focus for me too Darryl. Recently fire sold Bliss and a bunch of other crap that was cluttering up my life.
Craig, you're too young to think like that.

Dang, that is sad news.

Condolences to his family and friends.

My condolences to all who were close to and loved Ron.
Just two weeks ago he posted about being at the Nordic Tug rendezvous this weekend.

Sad.

Thinking about a small Boston Whaler next year and a motor home. Driving to Alaska is more attainable at this point in my life anyway.

Craig:

Sorry to hear that. I guess as they say, No one gets out of here alive. Good luck with the motor home adventures. I'm going to road-trip the PCH this summer, starting in Portland and heading south. The only thing I've seen on the West Coast is the inside of the Navy Recruit Training Center, San Diego. It's time to see more of this country, I've been mostly stuck to the East Coast for 60 years.

- Darrell

Back
Top Bottom