Any way to jump to first unread post?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyguy1967

Vessel Make
1984 Ponderosa 48 CPMY
On some of the other forums I'm a member of, for signed-in members, you can jump to the first unread post in any topic.* Is there such a feature and if not, anyway such a feature/tool could incorporated?*

This eliminates the need to scroll down thought all the posts you have already read in the topic and simply jumps you to the first on you have not.

Flyguy1967 wrote:

On some of the other forums I'm a member of, for signed-in members, you can jump to the first unread post in any topic.* Is there such a feature and if not, anyway such a feature/tool could incorporated?*

This eliminates the need to scroll down thought all the posts you have already read in the topic and simply jumps you to the first on you have not.
Go to "User Details" in the blue bar above. Select "Settings" from the Profile menu on the top left. Go to "Order of Topics", and select "last modified".

Thanks Cary!

That works for finding those TOPICS which have been recently posted to but does not jump you to the first unread POST/REPLY in that topic.

For example, the fuel polishing II thread has many posts (now up to two pages of posts) but if I have not logged on for awhile, I have to scroll through all the posts/replies I have already read in that topic to then find the first one I have not read. If you could just click on the topic and it jumps you to the most recent post that would be so much easier.

Brent,

If you go to settings in your profile and select Newest First in the order of comments drop down doesn't that do what you want for each subject?

Flyguy1967 wrote:

Thanks Cary!

That works for finding those TOPICS which have been recently posted to but does not jump you to the first unread POST/REPLY in that topic.

For example, the fuel polishing II thread has many posts (now up to two pages of posts) but if I have not logged on for awhile, I have to scroll through all the posts/replies I have already read in that topic to then find the first one I have not read. If you could just click on the topic and it jumps you to the most recent post that would be so much easier.

BrentMy bad. In settings, you also need to go to the next drop down box from the Last Modified, and select "Newest First" under Order of Comments.

Carey wrote:

Flyguy1967 wrote:

Thanks Cary!

BrentMy bad. In settings, you also need to go to the next drop down box from the Last Modified, and select "Newest First" under Order of Comments.

Must be an echo here.

Echo, echo. Redundant echo!!!*
no.gif

Thanks Guys!* That helps but it would be nice to hit a button next to the tpoic and it automatically takes you to the first post you have not read.

For example,* here is a thread from on one of the forums in Sailing Anarchy.* http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page1.php

See the box with the arrow pointing to the left?* If I hit that button it takes me directly to the first post I have not read.* If there is no box, then there are no posts that I have not read.* This is feature is only available for signed-in members.

Also pretty cool, the paperclip indicates there are photos in the thread.*

The sheet of*paper has been transformed when*I copied and pasted this, from*a folder icon on the site which would show if there was a new post.**

MORC - The REVIVAL!!!

Thanks Guys!

Here is what I'm talking about: MORC - The REVIVAL!!!

This is from a thread in on of the forums on*Sailing Anarchy http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page1.php

See the box with the arrow pointing to the right?* If I'm signed in and hit that button, it will automatically take me to the*1st post in that thread the I have not read (which is different from the most recent post).*

For example, if there are 25 posts in the trhead and I have read the first 20 of them, if I hit that button it will take me directly to post number 21.* If I have read all the posts in that thread, then there is no box and I know there are no new posts.* As Cary pointed out, we have that part of this feature here (we know when a thread has a new post).

Also pretty cool, the paperclip lets me know there are photos or attachments in the thread, and the sheet of paper with the arrow pointing up is like out preview feature.

Thanks guys!

Not quite what i was thinking...

What if, when I hit the gold button showing there is a new post(s) in a thread, I'm automatically taken to the first post that I have not read in that thread? For example, if I have read all 25 posts in a thread and when I log back on there are now 30, when I hit the gold button, I'm automatically directed to and start at post 26. We then don't have to scroll down to see which posts we personally have not read, rather, we are automatically taken there.

Flyguy1967 wrote:
Thanks guys!

Not quite what i was thinking...

What if, when I hit the gold button showing there is a new post(s) in a thread, I'm automatically taken to the first post that I have not read in that thread? For example, if I have read all 25 posts in a thread and when I log back on there are now 30, when I hit the gold button, I'm automatically directed to and start at post 26. We then don't have to scroll down to see which posts we personally have not read, rather, we are automatically taken there.
Doug or Keith could answer this more definitively, but my WAG is that the canned program we use can't do what you'd like. Otherwise there would be some way to select it in the settings.*

Brent, I know exactly what you are talking about and my only answer is "I don't know". I can't believe they left that feature out of the software but it appears they did. My only solution to this would be for me to call the hosting service to see if there is something we are missing....so give me a bit and I will see what I can dig up.

Sorry, I tried calling yesterday and it was before business hours on the West Coast and then I forgot to follow up after that. And now it is the weekend so it might be Monday before I can get to it.

I would think there has got to be a way...every forum I am a member of has that feature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom