View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
REAL MOUNTIE

City: Gaine's Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Favorite line throwing technique

Would you like to share your own favorite line throwing technique?

When I took a Canadian Power Squadron course, there was a instructor who was a professional fireman training instructor for the City of Montreal.

He showed the class a technique for throwing a line which was precise and the line uncoiled it self without any snag.

I wrote to him as where he got that technique. He sent me two pictures of the book where it refers to how to effectively throw a line (please refer to the attached pictures).

I like to practice throwing the line above over the extended arm perpendicular to the deck. I try to avoid the head or face area.

I have seen horror situation where lines where thrown directly to the face of the individual and the occasional miss due to bad coils in the line...

I do understand that there are experience skippers that never need to throw any line at all. At the same time, sea conditions or situation will arise that you may have to throw a line to someone in order to assist in a need (i.e. Towing, MOB, etc.) As indicated in BoatUS link:

How To Throw A Line - BoatUS Magazine

Sharing you personal experience in throwing a line would be great for all of us!

Thank you and kindest regards!
Attached Images

https://realmountie.blogspot.com/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote