Hawaiian trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HawaiiTrawler

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've lurked in the background on this forum and a few others for years now but never been in a place to buy the boat of my dreams. I'm finally graduating from veterinary school and heading to Hawaii. I want to buy a trawler within 1-2yrs. I've always loved the ex-commercial troller and trawler types coming out of the Pacific NW.

Here is my question/issue. I haven't seen many trawlers for sale in Hawaii...especially, the ex-commercial fishing boat types. Any members in Hawaii who can point me in the right direction? I am after a single engine, 40-45ft, seaworthy ex-commercial fishing trawler. I know that they're a bunch available in California but the distance from Cali to Hawaii is a bit much for the normal fuel capacity of a 40-45ft trawler.

Thanks in advance and I cannot wait for the day when I get to post a picture of my boat on here! Until then I'll just continue to drool over some of the awesome trawlers you guys have!

-Ryan

How about shipping it to Hawaii? I am sure it would not be cheap, but less expensive than a Sea Tow call in the middle of the Pacific:rofl:

You probably will have to increase the size to 60+ ft because of the fuel tank capacity required for the crossing and capabilities. Most PNW commercial trawler Alaska and bearing sea capable are 60+ ft. Also there is not a big market or reason for trawler to go there.

Our 58 ft could make the crossing,and I think there maybe a sister 58 for sale in Hawaii. Anyway might have to increase your search size.

I would have to look into shipping one over but I get the feeling it would be astronomically high! Since shipping over a Harley Davidson cost me $600+!

I think 60+ feet would be much too big for myself and my partner. Really just looking for a more manageable 40ish footer for extended weekend trips and circumnavigating the islands of Hawaii.

I think I might have to walk the docks at Kewalo Basin where a lot of the commercial fishing fleet is harbored. I'm just surprised I haven't seen any brokers selling ex-commercial fishing trawlers.

40-46' boats have made the trip between cal and Hawaii on lots of occasions.. it may take having fuel on deck to make it but that is done all the time also.. I dont understand why some think a bigger boat is a must.. your not looking for a circumnavigator.. just getting it to Hawaii. Weather will be the key.. not to mention the trip is a big one for a unseasoned boater.
HOLLYWOOD

Step 1-Get to Hawaii and look around and observe what people there have. Talk to people there at the docks. The most knowledgeable people you'll find regarding boat ownership in Hawaii will be located in Hawaii.

I have heard for many years when I meet people from Hawaii at boat shows, that dockage is difficult to find and expensive so that would be the first thing to investigate when you get there.

Step 1-Get to Hawaii and look around and observe what people there have. Talk to people there at the docks. The most knowledgeable people you'll find regarding boat ownership in Hawaii will be located in Hawaii.

I have heard for many years when I meet people from Hawaii at boat shows, that dockage is difficult to find and expensive so that would be the first thing to investigate when you get there.

Two great pieces of advice. FWIW, I have a hard time imagining using a PNW trawler in the waters around Hawaii. However, I have no experience piloting a boat there. It would seem to me that protected moorage would be scarce and very expensive. Most of the boat that I have seen on Maui were working boats, charters, excursion, etc... Then there were a lot sailboats. I don't recall seeing many Trawlers.

I was born in Hakalau across the island from Kona. We moved away while I was a kid but I have been back many times as an adult on vacations and business (Sugar and Pineapple).
It is a beautiful place but the water in most places is very deep even close to shore. It seemed to me there are relatively few protected anchorages and not a lot of marinas. The fishing is good and lots of people do that. If you will be in Kona they have a harbor and marina and there is a good harbor in Hilo.
Have a good look and lots of asking around when you get there, and Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom