Replacing Bow Thruster Brushes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryBud49

Vessel Name
Pleasure Island
Vessel Make
Marine Trader DC 34'
Bow thruster needs new carbon brushes. It is a Vetus 12 volt and actually finding someone that lists these online is proving difficult. I'll call Vetus in Merritt Island tomorrow, I'm sure I can order a set. The thing is, according to posts in some other forums (as well as my own experience), Vetus is very expensive for their parts. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but I really want to avoid the gouge. Has anyone on this forum replaced brushes in their Vetus thruster? Were they expensive? Alternatively, has anyone found brushes made by someone else for something else that worked? Some posts from a site in England talks about getting comparable brushes from Bosch or someone in Germany. That person was talking 10 times price difference. Any experience with doing something like this? Any advice from electrical experts out there? And one last request - where do you get your Vetus parts when needed? Thanks in advance.

Here in the US of A, I have found the Vetus distributor (Florida Bow Thruster) to be extremely helpful, and their prices very fair, I've bought a solenoid, an upgrade propellor and a zinc from them. I wouldn't be surprised if you asked them nicely, they'd tell you what brushes to buy from a motor supply house.

So the brushes are worn down but the commutator is fine? I would talk to an electric motor shop nearby.

Vetus thruster brushes

curious to know if an alternative supplier for these brushes was found.

I am perplexed on why Vetus is charging over 2 x the price in the US as they offer the same part in Euros (even with exchange rates).

My need is for the BOW7512 (vetus part is Set0029)

Did you talk to the folks at Florida Bow Thruster? They are going to be your best OEM source. Otherwise, pull the motor (or maybe at first just a sample of the brushes) and take it to a local electric motor/ alternator/starter shop and they will match it up for you.

EDIT: just noticed you are in PKS. Carteret Alternator and Starter or Riggs Electric Motor in Morehead should be able to help you.

Last edited:
I doubt Vetus made the motor. Trick is to find out who made it. A little sleuthing might find the answer.

Hi, i have 2 Vetus 55kg bow and stern thrusters.I dismantle them for cleaning and inspection. Brushes was a bit to "pricy" so check around several places, ended up with Ebay. Brushes that fit exellent was for Bosch starting engine, BSX34
Vetus about 166USD got them for £20 from a UK seller.
Mine are 9x20x28mm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom