Present 38 Window Leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain JJ

Vessel Make
Present 38
After a drenching last night I discovered several leaks from my main salon cabin windows. The boat was manufactured in 1986 and it doesn't appear that the windows were well maintained. Anybody have any info. Concerning overhauling/resealing/replacing these sliding window assemblies?
Thanks in advance...
JJ:banghead:

Where are they leaking? Frame or lower track? Checked the exterior drains clear? Spent the last year chasing (and curing, so far) window leaks. Learning.

X a lot on Compass and his butyl tape. I think it's superior stuff in my apps. Want to support him.

While you check for info and assemble the repair items ,

I suggest a tube of clear silicone to stop the leaks.

The silicone advantage is it comes off easily and clean when you are ready to do the job.

The PH walls that dont rot from leaks may be your own.

before taking things apart verify that the leaks aren't from overflow of the tracks or failed sealing of screws in the tracks.

Flowable silicone

The PO of our boat used and recommended this. In seven years I haven't had to re-apply but I think I am due for a preventative application. Its a thin version of silicone and runs in to small cracks.
RT, I am standing by for the scalding on the use of silicone on a boat.:flowers:

Attachments

• Flowable silicone.jpg
    Flowable silicone.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 191
Where is it leaking, at the top or bottom? We had a leak at the top of the window on our 38. Turned out the water came in on the flybridge where the wires from the radar arch passed through.

I'll scald you first. Don't use silicone on anything that you will need to repair again! On a boat, that's everything! You cannot get it off and nothing will stick to the film that remains after you've removed everything you can see or feel. Even the manufacturers will tell you that you cannot get their stuff off.

That said, silicone is really good stuff for some purposes. It lasts indefinitely and is just the thing for gluing glass together. It's the 'structural' sealant used in mullionless glazing systems on buildings.

Progress

Thanks everyone for their input.

Upon further inspection I have determined that the source of the water intrusion was from the upper helm area which is only covered with a Bimini.
The clue was the water leaking at the top of the window inner frame and the interior teak panel. Covered the upper helm with a tarp, rained, no leaks.
Also there is a drain tube 1/2" on the exterior of the port/starboard sides of the boat, that goes to the floor area of the upper helm, one was clogged and the other was not matched up to the trim at the floor in the upper helm.

I will clean and align the drain tubes and reseal all of the upper helm floor trim pieces.

Happy boating...
Live and learn :facepalm:

The PO of our boat used and recommended this. In seven years I haven't had to re-apply but I think I am due for a preventative application. Its a thin version of silicone and runs in to small cracks.
RT, I am standing by for the scalding on the use of silicone on a boat.:flowers:

Consider it barked !

Sealant

I have been known to work with silicone, and at times I have found it to be quite tittilating :rofl: but this time I will be forced to use something more exact...:thumb:
Best to all :D

4300 or 5200 if you will never want to remove it. Lay off the silicone, on the boat...it is a great lube though for zippers or other special ugggg, anyway. You will thank me.

Last edited:
I'll scald you first. Don't use silicone on anything that you will need to repair again! On a boat, that's everything! You cannot get it off and nothing will stick to the film that remains after you've removed everything you can see or feel. Even the manufacturers will tell you that you cannot get their stuff off.

That said, silicone is really good stuff for some purposes. It lasts indefinitely and is just the thing for gluing glass together. It's the 'structural' sealant used in mullionless glazing systems on buildings.

Smear that stuff on the propeller, will keep off barnacles since nothing sticks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom