Do my eyes deceive me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Anyone notice anything alarming about this picture (from a brokerage GB Eastbay 40)?

Hydraulic.jpg

I am a mechanical moron, but I don't see the hydraulic rod connected to anything.

Did I win a Cu-pie Doll
sticker,375x360.png

One of the hoses is patched with zip ties?

My autopilot keeps the electronic unit far away from large metallic parts due to magnetism influences, but mine is quite old for this frame of reference. This one seems to be attached. But I'm as ignorant as the next guy.

Hosing is a nightmare: too long, no valves in case of leaks, hopefully the
clamped on piece is only a chaff guard.
Pump mounted with 1 screw holding it in place.
The ram end is not unusual.

Ted

Well, if that's a hose patch I see, you're going to have a fluid mess there pretty soon.

Well, if that's a hose patch I see, you're going to have a fluid mess there pretty soon.

I totally missed the patch the first time....It looks like they are using a garden hose.

That patch is going to blow! Wonder how old it is?

That is obviously not a patch. It's just more than likely chafe protection.
Well...yes, but protecting against chafing where? Another hydraulic hose? To do ANY good there would have to symmetrical protection, right?

My first thought was a patch - but reinforced drinking hose and zip ties? :)

But there were just so many things...no bleed fittings...long unsupported hose runs...the largish piece of not very thick HDPE held with what appear to be 1/4" bolts (acting as screws? unclear)....and I think that's a "Shadowdrive" (also unsupported).

I don't run wiring along hyd lines.
Then there's that 'patch', and the cover on the electrical box on the pump seems to show a small gap, like it isn't installed right.

Looks like it was below water at some point...there is a line (darker below & lighter above) on the wood in the background, and the hoses are very dirty above that line and sparkling clean below.

As a prize I will accept any one of the three boats I mentioned in the 'what's the boat of your dreams?' thread :D

Last edited:
Tough audience. That aside, the thing that amazes me the most, is that this is the only picture of the mechanical systems on the Yacht World listing for the entire boat. :confused:
Yes, the image selection is indeed puzzling.

FWIW, here's the steering gear of another EB 40 - it looks like that HDPE piece is standard. I prefer this AP pump location but perhaps the Garmin is too high to be placed on that support.

Hydraulic2.jpg

Not sure if you are supposed to use special fittings or not for hydraulics, but the 3 "els" on the AP unit look to be standard water plumbing pieces. . .

brass-fitting-90-male-elbow.jpg

I'd say its not a patch but most likely there to stiffen the hose so it prevents the hose from crimping over and would also stop the hose from touching the ram cylinder .

I'd say its not a patch but most likely there to stiffen the hose so it prevents the hose from crimping over and would also stop the hose from touching the ram cylinder .

I think it keeps the line from flexing/moving/collapsing under pressure.

the hose ends and fittings being used are bronze or brass and are for pneumatic use not hydraulic.
John

the hose ends and fittings being used are bronze or brass and are for pneumatic use not hydraulic.
There you go - there was just so much about this picture that looked "half-assed" and I couldn't really see it all. I do a lot of my own installation work and it always looks (to me) better planned and executed. And then when I see what a true professional can do and it makes me want to try harder and do a better job.

I think it keeps the line from flexing/moving/collapsing under pressure.
Well...it will indeed be under substantial pressure - it's hydraulic steering. Hynautic specifies hydraulic hose rated for 1000 psi though typical pressure is much, much less. But I don't see how that little piece of tubing is going to do anything to keep the line from flexing or moving. Perhaps if it was used in conjunction with a hold down (missing from the picture). But that's the shortest hose shown in the picture and nothing else is secure or protected - and it's clear from the second image that this is a somewhat vulnerable location under a cockpit hatch.

There's going to be very minimal movement in the free-swinging end of the cylinder - maybe 3-5 degrees lock-to-lock.

Looking closely at the picture...I'm now thinking this might have been chafe protection underneath the inboard cylinder fitting...or perhaps against the bolt head on the inboard end of the cylinder mount. And it slowly crept back up the line toward the AP pump. But look how filthy it is and it was installed less than 2 years ago.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the HDPE for the steering support?

Many steering systems aren't all that high pressure....less than 1000 psi aND why plastic lines and brass ferrule compression connections work.

Another TF picture diagnosis and not sure all the facts are available....

Many steering systems aren't all that high pressure....less than 1000 psi aND why plastic lines and brass ferrule compression connections work.

Another TF picture diagnosis and not sure all the facts are available....

And the system has in all likelyhood worked just fine for years as is.

Which apparently would be a miracle based on some of the comments here. :D

And the system has in all likelyhood worked just fine for years as is.

Which apparently would be a miracle based on some of the comments here. :D

TF.....the land of overkill...:D

At least for us Brown Water cruisers.... :thumb:

Looks like it is chafe protection for the hose that would rub against the edge of the clyinder mounting board. I think a clamp would do the same thing.

Not sure if you are supposed to use special fittings or not for hydraulics, but the 3 "els" on the AP unit look to be standard water plumbing pieces. . .

There is no high pressure in this steering system. Will be fine as long as they don't leak. Basically hydraulic steering is using fluid displacement to push and pull a easy to turn rudder.
No force multiplier with huge pressures like on a hydraulic ram to move heavy weights.

There is no high pressure in this steering system. Will be fine as long as they don't leak. Basically hydraulic steering is using fluid displacement to push and pull a easy to turn rudder.

No force multiplier with huge pressures like on a hydraulic ram to move heavy weights.

Uh, but that's exactly what this is. What part of "hard over" would you like to omit from your hydraulic steering? What happens on your vessel when you hit a rudder stop or cylinder limit? My relief valve (500-600 psi) range kicks in - do you just blow your lines and rebuild? Curious to hear your experience and maybe you can share with Hynautic and Garmin that they don't actually need that 1000psi spec. My pump is 300psi continuous, 650psi stall - what are the specs on your pump?

Keith

Considering all the hose fittings are female compression swivel fittings, I don't see a single male fitting that is not a compression fitting. I see no "water" pipe fittings.

there is one high pressure hose end used in this application it is the bottom left fitting on the valve block. If you look closely you can see it is a lighter color than the rest and it is round where it goes over the hose rather than having wrench flats. that is because it is crimped on rather than screwed on. Some of the other screwed on fittings are hydraulic and some are pneumatic. The hydraulic ones will have a slightly longer body. Hydraulic fitting flares are on a 37 degree angle and pneumatic are on a 45 degree angle so they match the mating fitting. the two types are not interchangeable.
The elbow on the left port of the cylinder is rated for 200 psi air.
I'm the senior engineer for the mid Atlantic and New England Eaton Hydraulic distributor.
John

Back
Top Bottom