White powder around the raw water strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunajoe

Vessel Name
Tatanka
Vessel Make
32' Nordic Tug
Noticed this last weekend while poking around the engine compartment.

Any idea what it's from?

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3868.jpg
    IMG_3868.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 100
Noticed this last weekend while poking around the engine compartment.

Any idea what it's from?

The oring is probably weeping and as the water evaporates, salt crystals are left behind. Try greasing up the oring and reseating the cover. Or get a new oring and grease it up and reseat it.

Years ago an old Norwegian steam fitter name Olie (true) gave me a tube of Moly Kote Valve Seal by Dow Corning. They used it on assembly of extreme high temp/pressure valves. I have used it for over 30 years and never had a disassembly problem. It is not a sealant but a super assembly lubricant. This stuff is good for O-rings, valve stems, almost anything in the plumbing department.

Dow Corning Molykote 55 O-Ring Grease Off-White 150 g Tube

Also, you may have to buff any corrosion or scratches out of the sealing surfaces.
600 wet/dry and water or WD40 works good for that.

The O-ring may be collapsed a bit and require replacement too.

Years ago an old Norwegian steam fitter name Olie (true) gave me a tube of Moly Kote Valve Seal by Dow Corning. They used it on assembly of extreme high temp/pressure valves. I have used it for over 30 years and never had a disassembly problem. It is not a sealant but a super assembly lubricant. This stuff is good for O-rings, valve stems, almost anything in the plumbing department.

Dow Corning Molykote 55 O-Ring Grease Off-White 150 g Tube

Groco recommended I use Dow Corning Molykote 111 to lubricate my seacock. A 5 oz tube of the stuff is $46 Cdn!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

X2 on the DC-55 and 111. I have a couple of tubes of each that followed me home from the USN a very long time ago. A little goes a long way and it appears immune to aging. The submarine fleet could (would) not get underway without it.

Low 20's in the states. When's your birthday?

Looks as if it is a screw on lid
Use a RectorSeal product will seal that bronze lip, such as number 5.
Sold at the Home Depot, about $8. Why waste money?

RectorSeal® No. 5® Number 5 - RectorSeal

Or use the RectorSeal T plus 2 with sythetic fibers.

RectorSeal® T Plus 2® - RectorSeal

I'm not sure I'd use a sealant for the lid on a thru-hull strainer. In the summer we get into ours every 2 weeks to clean out the weeds and grass.
As previously mentioned check the o-ring and use a little silicone grease or even just leave it a lone. It looks pretty good to me. Better than most. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd use a sealant for the lid on a thru-hull strainer. In the summer we get into ours every 2 weeks to clean out the weeds and grass.
As previously mentioned check the o-ring and use a little silicone grease or even just leave it a lone. It looks pretty good to me. Better than most. :)

The T plus 2 remains soft totally non hardening. It is really just like a white PTFE grease with tiny synthetic fibers which aid sealing.

I used this on my rubber engine hoses, and it prevents the rubber from welding to the metal nipples. And none have ever popped off.

I have an old bronze strainer with a center nut for the Onan gen. A simple lip edge seal. I have been using Rectorseal T plus 2 on it. Comes right apart, when I take off the lid. Seals it up, never leaks. I think originally it required a paper gasket.

$7.58 at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-T-Plus-2-4-oz-Teflon-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-23631/100201204

Last edited:
Does that have an Oring seal or a cork seal? Either way, new seal, and just clean up the salt. No problem. Looks like a hefty high quality strainer. As others have said, use a lube so you can open for cleaning easily.

Low 20's in the states. When's your birthday?

Chuckle! I'm going to Point Roberts WA in the next couple of days. Doubt I'd be able to source it there at the local chandlery though.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom