Butt kicked by stuffing box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hammer time?

How about coating the parts with waterproof grease or some kind of coating that will seal the metal, then no more corrosion. Not all greases are water resistant.

Two nuts jammed together on a stud create wrenching flats without buggering the threads.

Thanks all for the suggestions. The piece came loose this am with lots of pounding while using the hydraulic ram. I am guessing that the overnight soak in WD-40 helped some.

Nicely, the stuffing box on the other rudder came off with very little effort.

Gordon

Given this discussion, the next time I change the rudder stuffing on our 440 I plan to thread a stainless nut down to the bottom of each stud, then a thin stainless washer, then the flanged top half of the stuffing box...and then the compression nuts. Built in screw jacks. Plenty of adjustment range on the studs to do this. Add a ring of stuffing material if I need more. Same for the prop stuffing boxes as access is very restricted.

Semi planning had best advice. How often to service, as suggested by some is a non starter. The other rudder seal came off by hand. I too think a nut at the bottom of the stud is the best way.

Mgdavis, i have no idea what you said.

Sorry, I posted that before reading the second page of the thread. Another poster had expressed a concern about damaging the studs. Jamming two nuts together on a stud creates a place to use a wrench so that you can remove the stud without damaging the threads. Completely irrelevant to you now, since you already succeed in disassembling the component.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom