Groco BV1500 ball seacock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The seacock for the raw water for the main engine is a Groco BV1500. It's a 1.5" seacock and it's reduced down to 1" and piped to a Groco Strainer assembly. It isn't closing properly and water continues to pass through the seacock when the shutoff is moved to the off position. Once in the water, it's a pain to do routine maintenance such as changing zincs, cleaning the strainer, inspecting coolers, etc. Its an expensive item and it shouldn't have started leaking after only 5-6 years. The through hulls are the same age.

I've opened it up and it seems the Teflon or nylon seats have some wear. Here are the options as I see them.

1) replace this unit with the same one, but western marine doesn't stock this unit,according to their catalogue.

2) put on a Groco 1.5" flange adapter and a 1.5" ball valve and reduce it down to 1"

3) keep this valve assembly and put a 2nd ball valve near the strainer. That requires a bronze nipple, not source-able up here.

Thoughts?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I would do number 2. Cheaper than a new seacock.
And if the ball joint fails easy to replace.
I have been using Apollo bronze ball valves with SS handles, and they last and last, good quality. I even buy them used off ebay.

The Groco BV1500 is a top quality American made seacock. They say it is serviceable while installed but I've never heard of someone needing to do that, until now.

I'd give Groco a call and see what they say. They are very nice folks.

Thanks Hopcar. I was going to give them a call on Monday. There's a PDF on the web on how the parts go together. I very surprised this one failed to work so early in its life. There seems to be some "scratches" on the upper most seat. Not sure if the seat is nylon or Teflon.

http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec4/PDF/BV.pdf

Jim

The seal damage is probably due to sea life accumulation, e.g. barnacles. More frequent operation of the valve might help prevent accumulation and forestall damage in the future.

Must have happened before my time. I'm moored in freshwater. No barnacles on my boat in the last 3 years.

Jim

Martin marine has them, I believe before the old guy died he bought a crate of them from somebody who went broke? Anyway, they are pretty much top quality, you may have unluckily gotten a dud.

If you purchase a new seacock the tapered bronxe units are very easy to live with and repair.

I have seen 50 year old units that were serviced once in a Blue Moon still working just fine.

To me the ball valve units are fine for above water line use, a tapered bronze for below is a less hassle choice .

Martin marine has them, I believe before the old guy died he bought a crate of them from somebody who went broke? Anyway, they are pretty much top quality, you may have unluckily gotten a dud.

The old guy was quite the character. He had quite the collection of antique nautical stuff, as well as some aircraft bits. I remember he had a propeller from a North American Harvard and part of a circa WWII bomb sight. He also had a considerable quantity of parts for Chris Craft, 50's-60's.

Jim

He still has barrels full of chrome Chris Craft bits. He used to buy the surplus from the old shipyards at the bottom of Lonsdale, when a large project finished.

He still has barrels full of chrome Chris Craft bits. He used to buy the surplus from the old shipyards at the bottom of Lonsdale, when a large project finished.
He also knew what he had and where it was even if he hadn't seen it in years.

The Groco BV1500 is a top quality American made seacock. They say it is serviceable while installed but I've never heard of someone needing to do that, until now.

I'd give Groco a call and see what they say. They are very nice folks.

You were right Hoppy. Groco was very helpful. I'm going to replace the Teflon seats (they are Teflon), the "O" ring and I'm going to get a zerk fitting for one of the drain plugs for lubrication. He said the seats are pretty easy to get out. They recommend using Dow Corning molycote 111 for regular lubrication.

The fellow mentioned that sometimes people get bottom paint on the ball, which causes failure.

http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec4/PDF/BV.pdf

Jim

The use of zerk fittings is something new for Groco. Until recently they have discouraged it but now they are shipping their ball valves and seacocks with zerk fittings installed. In the past they were worried you could build enough pressure to blow out the seals. Since the BV series has two drain holes, all you have to do is remove the plug opposite the zerk, pump it full of grease and the excess grease will just come out the other drain hole. Be sure the seacock is in the open position or you'll just fill the water passage with grease instead of getting it on the outside of the ball.

On valves with single drain holes you need to partially close the valve so excess grease can go into the water passage and not over pressure the seals.

I put in the replacement seats and "O" ring as per Groco's direction. The boat is back in the water. I shut off the seacock and the second valve for the drip less,shaft seal coupling, and opened up one of the pencil zincs. Significant flow of water.

Am I correct that water in the lift muffler that is the culprit? That's all I can conclude right now.

I could take the raw water line off the closed seacock to see what is going on. The valve seems to be working properly.

Jim

Last edited:
Yup! It may be a bit of a PITA to do, but you need to know for sure if that seacock is leaking.

Checked it today. Seacock is functioning properly.

Jim

No more leak?
What changed between post 15 and 17?

The seacock isn't leaking but the exhaust riser contains a large quantity of water and it flows out of the coupling for the anode on the heat exchanger.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom