Transformation Continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too, did you cast that yourself? I took the bronze casting class last year from CWB. I still need to make my furnace.
Hey Dave is that a lost wax process ? I like me some bronze also . I bought some old massive bronze cleats from our own FF . My last machinist job was making custom knees and hips . We used the lost wax for sst castings.

I did not. A friend had them cast in Bellingham and gave us a set.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462073264.772617.jpg

KiwiGrip is done!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462073316.192860.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462073338.924622.jpg

KiwiGrip came out nice!

Excellent result! Please give account as to how and with what you succeeded that well.

It is white KiwiGrip. The stuff is very thick, about the consistency of pudding.

I dumped a blob out of the can and spread it out with a 1/8" v notch trowel then used the KiwiGrip roller to set the finish.

Very easy to install but be prepared for a lot of splatter. Easy cleanup with warm water.

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. BC. I have 2X 1-gallon/4 liter cans. I don't have the cans right in front of me but aprox. how much coverage per gallon please?

I got about 80 sqft per gallon.

Our 1977 Tolly's main deck is its 39 yr old orig beige color and non skid texture gel coat.... still in OK good condition. Problem - Gets toooo darn hot in mid summer. Looking to paint/cover it with light color, non skid surface. My other need/requirement for the new surface is l-o-n-g duration durability (15 yrs minimum)... without chipping, cracking and/or getting chalky for tracking the light color inside boat.

Do you think this coating product would suffice. I'm looking into all forms of surface coatings and have no problem with multiple coats to ensure its long life if that is what's required.

Very nice. Looking to read about the process. Since I'm on the 10 year plan, the projects are staring to accumulate.

1. Necessary
2. Like to do
3. Round tuits

I can see where I could do this on my boat. Cabin top comes to mind.

Art,

Nice thing is you can vary the thickness and texture to you needs during application. I like the effect of 1/8" and the supplied roller. Our dock mates use the same product ten years ago with a foam roller. Also a very nice effect but much less texture.

Art,

Nice thing is you can vary the thickness and texture to you needs during application. I like the effect of 1/8" and the supplied roller. Our dock mates use the same product ten years ago with a foam roller. Also a very nice effect but much less texture.

Bob - Do you know: After 10 years... what condition is your doc mate's coating in. Was it exposed to sun often, or nor too much. - Thanks, Art

Art,

I will post a couple of photos of his deck tomorrow. It is in the PNW so it sees all seasons.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462846061.759574.jpg

GB Beige painting and the roof are both done. Out of the shed and off to Roche Harbor for the NW GB Rendezvous on Wednesday.

It always amazes me how much better a Grand Banks looks without the flybridge. It amazes me the factory never offered a delete option. She looks great Bob :thumb::thumb:

Art,

It is in great shape. Weather seems to have not affected it at all. PNW sun is not nearly as intense as other parts of the country though.

Bob - Do you know: After 10 years... what condition is your doc mate's coating in. Was it exposed to sun often, or nor too much. - Thanks, Art

Reactions: Art
Looks Good! Stately - To Be Sure!!

Nice looking boat, Bob. It looks familiar but new and unique. I hope you get used to folks asking, what kind of boat is that?

She'd be a great platform for solar! Lots of real estate up there.

Last edited:
Bob,
You've done it!
The classic sedan lives!
The GB's are so seldom seen w/o the FB there's no comparison. But now we have it. To me sans FB is perfect, better and better looking but many aren't comfortable w different than usual houses, cars, boats or whatever. Thinking out of the box comes natural for others (like myself) but in this case it seems that most any honest person can see your boat looks better .. longer, faster, more stable .. or even sleeker ... at least visually but perhaps to a small degree otherwise too. But then I'm biased. I've been say'in fly bridges are kinda silly all along. Does this make you out to be kind of a myth buster? To some degree yes.

Back
Top Bottom