Loopers Chime in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well you guys have got me to thinking that maybe the western portion of the loop is not that great. I cruised for a week on a chartered sailboat on the Chesapeake many years ago and loved it. I've also spent many summers in Arcadia NP in Marine and would love to cruise that as well. From what I've read the Canadian canal system is not to be missed. Would love to cruise Lake Champlain too.

Perhaps keeping the boat for a couple of winters in the Chesapeake and cruising north from there the rest of the year is the answer.

I've been up in the CA Delta for the past 20 years, going all over. It is a great area where you can drop the hook just about anyway and stay for a week or two. Currently still have a houseboat in Discovery Bay and the Vantare in Alameda. The plan is to sell the hoseboat move on the Vantare and move it back and forth between Alameda and the Delta with the seasons. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with on the delta...

We did the loop in 2000, threw in a sidetrip to Maine, which forces one into having to go too fast, if that's possible in a trawler! It was an adventure for us in all areas. The Erie Canal was fun, as we enjoy "small towns" and the people! Most everyone was super friendly, tying up to the "town walls" was enjoyable, as we were "self contained" for power, the city supplied 15-20amp service was appreciated, but not a necessity! While visiting Rome, NY, I was stationed there in the Air Force in the 50's, they(the town) had a concert in the park, where we had "ringside seats", and danced on the bow of our boat to the music. The Canadian canals and locks were all "garden showplaces", as were those on the Erie, where all the lockmasters must compete for the most beautiful lawns and flower beds! The "loop" is best enjoyed if one "takes his time"! North Channel and the Georgian Bay would justify weeks of cruising, instead of hurrying through, as we did. We had read, "it's best to be off Lake Michigan by Sept 1st", so we were hurrying! I think this is probably still a "good rule of thumb", but we were/are not "bold sailors" ! Going through downtown Chicago was another adventure, although the Illinois River does not offer the most beautiful scenery!! Anchorages/marinas are few and far between! Alton Illinois marina is quite modern and nice, with lots to see and do in the neighboring towns and St. Louis! When you get to Kentucky Lake you'll find some of the prettiest water on the loop, in our opinion!
Is the Loop worth it? You bet!!!, in our opinion! We would do it again, and hope to, Lord willing! We did the Caribbean, down to Trinidad, then to Cartagena, Columbia; through the Panama Canal, up the west coast, ultimately to Puget Sound, then on to SE Alaska, 3rd trip! We love it all, although not all was "smooth sailing", just a few "bumps", which one tends to forget it seems, with time! Best to all! "Boatless right now, but hoping to go again!" *Dick & Mary Jo Bradford

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:07:24 AM

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:08:52 AM

LadyMJ wrote:

We did the loop in 2000, threw in a sidetrip to Maine, which forces one into having to go too fast, if that's possible in a trawler! It was an adventure for us in all areas. The Erie Canal was fun, as we enjoy "small towns" and the people! Most everyone was super friendly, tying up to the "town walls" was enjoyable, as we were "self contained" for power, the city supplied 15-20amp service was appreciated, but not a necessity! While visiting Rome, NY, I was stationed there in the Air Force in the 50's, they(the town) had a concert in the park, where we had "ringside seats", and danced on the bow of our boat to the music. The Canadian canals and locks were all "garden showplaces", as were those on the Erie, where all the lockmasters must compete for the most beautiful lawns and flower beds! The "loop" is best enjoyed if one "takes his time"! North Channel and the Georgian Bay would justify weeks of cruising, instead of hurrying through, as we did. We had read, "it's best to be off Lake Michigan by Sept 1st", so we were hurrying! I think this is probably still a "good rule of thumb", but we were/are not "bold sailors" ! Going through downtown Chicago was another adventure, although the Illinois River does not offer the most beautiful scenery!! Anchorages/marinas are few and far between! Alton Illinois marina is quite modern and nice, with lots to see and do in the neighboring towns and St. Louis! When you get to Kentucky Lake you'll find some of the prettiest water on the loop, in our opinion!
Is the Loop worth it? You bet!!!, in our opinion! We would do it again, and hope to, Lord willing! We did the Caribbean, down to Trinidad, then to Cartagena, Columbia; through the Panama Canal, up the west coast, ultimately to Puget Sound, then on to SE Alaska, 3rd trip! We love it all, although not all was "smooth sailing", just a few "bumps", which one tends to forget it seems, with time! Best to all! "Boatless right now, but hoping to go again!" *Dick & Mary Jo Bradford

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:07:24 AM

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:08:52 AM
Dick, thanks for your words about our beautiful Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers.* There are many very pretty sections up stream of the Ten/Tom.* It is about 250 miles from the Ten/Tom upstream to Chattanooga.* It is a great stop.* I live one block from the downtown waterfront.* Anyone coming this way let me know.

Your idea of leaving the boat on the Chesapeake for a jumping off place to Maine is something that I have thought about recently.* Since Maine has a 28 day limit before coming after you for taxes, I put that thought aside.* We will go again by car.* An entire summer on the boat in Maine would be great.* However, we*decided to leave the Chesapeake in the fall in favor of the Bahamas.* Maybe the Exumas this time.* There are few bad choices on the East coast.

We did part of the Great Loop (the section from N.Y. city north on the Hudson River and through the canal system to Lake Ontario). *It was a wonderful trip that we will hopefully do again soon in the reverse, heading down to the Chesapeake.... We also enjoyed cruising the East coast of Maine and south along the Atlantic to Long Island Sound. * I would really love to spend time in the Pacific North West coast some day too!

Attachments

• more post launch 2009 015.jpg
    more post launch 2009 015.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 105
  • launch week 2009 046.jpg
    launch week 2009 046.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 103
I am also planning a 2012 Loop trip. Will probably store the boat north someplace and finish in 2013. Was going to do part this summer but decided to work another year. Not only for the money but because I am not pshycologically ready.
Also need the summer to do the final prep on the boat.
We have been through part of it already...the Rochester to Mystic trip when we bought this boat, an Erie canal trip, a Champlain canal trip and several Chesapeake Bay trips, all from Mystic.

David, I've been following the Parrent's blog for a bit and have emailed some with them. Definitely looks like they are having a blast. There are a few other traveling families we've met and talked with as well- all say it is the best thing they've done for their families.

charles wrote:

We did the GREAT CIRCLE CRUISE IN FIVE YEARS.

Marin thinks that we "should get a life" as I recall.
I don't remember saying that but maybe I did.* But I can't imagine faulting you for doing what you really wanted to do.* If I did I was wrong
smile.gif

i had a chance to look at some of the responses and can somewhat put myself in your situation as I have children close to age of yours.

It sounds like you are looking for a major life change, tired of Atlanta, loving the free spirit lifestyle etc.
Those may not be the same reasons for wanting to go on a year or two of cruising.

Here are some "saner options"
Rent out your home in Atlanta for the summer and make a trip down the ICW to see how it feels to be onboard a boat for so long.

or just rent a house in your favorite place in the gulf or Florida while you might as well just rent out your place, furnished possible (and since money is not a concern).

I also want to mention that SD does have a point, your kids are 7 and 8, they now have friends and are building a social network which is important for them. possible they are doing sports/boyscouts/dancing/music etc etc which are all important for their overall upbringing (and happiness).

You are also young, when your kids are early 20's there are still plenty "young years" for you to do the loop...

just my 2 cents.

Tony,

we are planning on taking a sabbatical starting in August through September to see if we have what it takes to live aboard with the two of us and two dogs for two months.* Starting in August we cannot go South since it will be hurricane season, so we plan on going North to the Outer Banks of NC and Chesapeake.

If that trip works out then we will move on the loop, but from our area it must begin around April or May cruising North on the ICW.* The thing about the Loop is that you must begin at a certain time of year depending on your location.* Leave too late and you might get stuck in Lake Michigan in nasty weather, or leave too early and you get to Canada while it is still freezing.

Like you, I think on one hand a larger boat would be nice for the loop since we are living aboard, but on the other hand, a 36 will fit in most marinas where a 46 might be turned away.

Food for thought.

Woody

I don't think 46' would be turned away very many times at marinas. However , I think your boat is a very good size for the trip. Easier to handle for 2, easier to maintain etc.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:*I think your boat is a very good size for the trip. Easier to handle for 2, easier to maintain etc.

********* Ditto.* Sounds like a good plan.

********* JohnP

Woodsong,
In the mid 80's, we pulled the kids,10,8,6, from school and spent 2 1/2 years sailing from Florida to Indonesia. The kids still consider it a great part of their life.
My wife and I finished a Loop last summer, doing about 9000 miles over 2 years.
Contrary to many comments, we found the middle of the USA, fantastic, visiting Nashville, and Knoxville. We liked the TennTom so much, we came back up to Demopolis so we could do it again.
We got as far as Keemah, Tx and found the GCIC section fascinating.
I will agree with Marin....rely on your gut!
I am collecting the bits to start prepping the boat for another trip around this fall, with possible side trips up the Arkansas, and then down to Southern Bahamas.
Jon

Hi Guys: Well this question might not fit here but here it is anyway,What is the average cost per day doing the loop? Yes I know you can spend any amount but I am thinking of the middle or lower road.Say using a single engine marine trader 40 footer with 2 people aboard.Thanks,Bill

Woody- the Monk would be great for just a couple I think. It's when I throw 2 small kids and a dog into the mix that it starts to sound crowded for a longer term situation. We love our Monk though so we'll see. You really can't beat the amount of space in just a 36' footprint and it would be almost impossible to have lower operating costs with the simple single screw, etc. More than likely we will just land on our hybrid plan of traveling aboard here and there as we are able...keep the house, etc. and just squeeze in as many longer trips as we can. It would just be great to get out of Atlanta!!! :)

Jon- that's awesome that you all sailed to Indonesia. What a wonderful trip for your family. I have talked a lot over the years to families that undertook a journey aboard together, adults of those childhood experiences (i.e. people who's parents took them as kids), and families doing it now. I have yet to hear anyone say they regretted it or that it was a bad decision or something they wish they had not done. Of all the cruising kids we've met, they pretty much have all been more mature, brighter, more inquisitive, and more creative than those sitting in a cinderblock school house. Our kids are highly socialized- sports year round, activities, etc. Putting them in school this past winter, thus far, has really been disappointing. We have already had several instances of them having to "dumb down" their work to make the other kids in class feel better. The kids are having fun there b/c it is easy and like a big play date to them but academically it's not happening so far. Heck- they were teaching my son's second grade class last week how to tell time on a clock- something he's known how to do since he was 3 or 4.

And yes, the gut check overrides everything- I've listened to it in the past and it has never steered me wrong.

blacksheep wrote:

Hi Guys: Well this question might not fit here but here it is anyway,What is the average cost per day doing the loop? Yes I know you can spend any amount but I am thinking of the middle or lower road.Say using a single engine marine trader 40 footer with 2 people aboard.Thanks,Bill

Bill,

I've not done the loop yet but based on all the numbers I've played with, research I've done, loopers I've talked to, etc. the average cost for 12 months seems to be between $30-40k all said and done (dockage, food, fuel, repairs, etc.). *It really depends on what lifestyle you want though- anchoring is free, transient slips are not. *Mac and cheese is cheap, steak every night maybe isn't. *I am sure others will chime in but from all the research I've done that seems to be where the numbers land, mostly around the $40k price point. *I am sure it could be done for less and I am just as sure it could be done for a lot more too.

HI Woodsong: Thanks for the information!I guess I will remain at hales Bar in the slip for a while if I ever get that far? Ha I have been working in installing oak parket flooring in the lower section of the old gal and hope to finish today.I will post some photos when I am done with the floor.

Carl,
I found a 41 ft Dufour Sortilege ketch in Fort Lauderdale. Luckily for me, it had a little osmosis, which gave me the time whilst fixing the blisters, to pull apart every system that I could,learning as I went.
Living on the boat,on the hard,in a Florida summer, meant that everything after that was an improvement.
Reintegrating the kids back into conventional school was a challenge for them, as they were far ahead of their class in most subjects and were used to indepence, and enjoyed the company of mixed ages. However, they all managed.
Jon

Tony,

two kids and and a dog is much different than two dogs and no kids!* The Monk will be fantastic for us.** Later if we choose to actually leave the dirt behind then we must have a bigger boat, but for just us for now it is exactly what we need.* And remember, I have two Perkins so it is enough to keep me busy.

Woody

Woody- I keep forgetting you've got the twin perkins in your Monk. CLEARLY- what you need to do is add on a nice 8' cockpit extension onto the back of your Monk and poof- you instantly will have that bigger boat you've dreamed of while keeping the Monk quality. ;) haha

Seriously- still can't picture adding another engine into my engine room. Do you all have a generator? We've got a (seemingly) massive 8.0 KW northern lights in a sound shield that eats up about as much real estate as the perkins! :)

Woodsong wrote:

Woody- I keep forgetting you've got the twin perkins in your Monk. CLEARLY- what you need to do is add on a nice 8' cockpit extension onto the back of your Monk and poof- you instantly will have that bigger boat you've dreamed of while keeping the Monk quality. ;) haha

Seriously- still can't picture adding another engine into my engine room. Do you all have a generator? We've got a (seemingly) massive 8.0 KW northern lights in a sound shield that eats up about as much real estate as the perkins! :)
It is tight!* Our genny is 4.5KW and does the job if you only need AC.* The main problem is servicing the raw water pump on the outboard (port) side.* Must be a contortionist to do it.* But backing into a strange slip is easy.

We mostly anchor out , but did pay for a couple of nights to the CN lock wall folks and in marinas IF there was a good laundromat near by.

Dirty clothes don't take much room stuffed in a bag , so every 2 weeks is enough marina time..

Figure what ever it would cost for 6000 miles of fuel , oil changes , filters .

And of course the CN's charge for running their locks.

And you have to PAY! to return to the USA for a customs permit.

No repairs is no expense , so go in reasonable condition.

Charts second hand make it WAY! less costly, and are really needed.

WI FI is free , many CN simply leave it on in their cottages , so anchor when you find it.

Wi fi?

Question for you that have done the loop or cruised in any of the areas that are part of the loop.* How is the Wi Fi access?* Could I stay in touch with "civilization" (i.e., work) out there?

As we cruised almost every day , we were able to get free wi fi a few times a day in CN , from cottages that simply left the systems operating.

Some days there was no luck , but at least 4 to 6 days a week we could get signals.

Much more so in the narrow channels than anchored in an isolated cove.

So the trick was to monitor the signals open in the more civilized areas, as we proceded to the days anchorag

some of the new smartphones such as the Iphone 2.0 has a wifi accesspoint capability, in other words you can access the internet through your pc/mac wireless by connecting it wirelessly to your smartphone, some of them can handle as many as 4 active connections.
with 3/4G the speed is not bad, we sometimes stream netflix movies this way without problems.
if you have unlimited data then it doesnt cost you extra..

-- Edited by Per on Friday 4th of March 2011 01:55:44 PM

My Wife & I are starting the Great Loop next month(November 2011). We plan to travel from New Orleans to Key West in late November. We have decided to travel 2-3 weeks at a time then return home to "replenish" the fuel fund. (We are both still working.)
We have a friend who took 3 years to complete the loop, and told us of the 2 weeks traveling & 4-8 weeks back home working.
I expect it to cost us about $50K over the next 3 years, a large part of the expense airfare.
We've been planning for two years, and have the boat ready.
See you on the Water.
Bill

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 28th of October 2011 06:58:32 AM

"We have decided to travel 2-3 weeks at a time then return home to "replenish" the fuel fund."

You may find in some areas , leaving the boat is $1.00 to $3.00 per foot per day.

OOOCH!

By way of rough planning info: my wife & I took our Californian 34LRC from Baltimore to Marathon & back in 4.5 months January thru mid-May. Even tho' we are both past 65, it was the trip of a lifetime. 3,300 some miles, $13,000 some dollars, including airfares, fuel, food, slips, & repairs. We are contemplating the Loop trip, & currently working to build the fuel kitty, trying to decide how to handle the house issue, old age issues, etc. Some things ya just gotta do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom