Missing Racor shut-off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Dave;
I think your question was a good one but maybe buried too deep in the haystack so here's a boost...

I was looking at my genny primary fuel filter to change it. I started looking for fuel shut off valve to the filter and could find one. The level of the filter is lower than the level of the fuel in the tank. I think that if I remove the filter, that level will equalize and I will have 20-50 gallons of fuel in my bilge. That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Here is the fuel filter.

Attachments

• Racor.jpg
    Racor.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 445
Greetings,
Good Move Mr. H. Mr. dh. Other than the missing nut on the mounting bracket, it looks like a tidy installation but it seems strange a shut off valve is not incorporated into the system somewhere.

-Have you double checked ALL over?
-OK, is it possible that you have enough slack in the supply lines to take off the bracket and manually raise the unit enough to minimize/eliminate spillage?
-I'm assuming the filter draws from only one tank. Could you transfer the fuel in THAT tank to the other to a point where the fuel level is below the filter?

>>>The following noted FOR DIESEL ONLY!!! as per post #4 (below)<<<
-I think it has been suggested (somebody PLEASE correct me if my memory is that bad) you can isolate that tank (close crossover valves), temporarily tape over the tank vent and put a shop vac in the deck fill hole to cause a partial vacuum in the tank.
-Just trying to think outside the box a bit...

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a very good installation. The hose routing was done poorly (IMO) also. Running hoses down the side of a spin on filter that may require a strap wrench to remove, was short sighted at best. Definitely want a 1/4 turn ball valve before the filter. Required for filter changes and important for emergency shutoff in the event of a hose failure.

Ted

Warning!!! This advice is for diesel powered boats only.

temporarily tape over the tank vent and put a shop vac in the deck fill hole to cause a partial vacuum in the tank.
-Just trying to think outside the box a bit...

For the love of all things holy and the safety of any noobs that may read this useful information. Please please please NEVER do the above on a gasoline powered boat as it would be a crappy way to die.

Warning!!! This advice is for diesel powered boats only.

For the love of all things holy and the safety of any noobs that may read this useful information. Please please please NEVER do the above on a gasoline powered boat as it would be a crappy way to die.
If this is accurate, then would it not be prudent to purge the original comment, the warning, and this one (mine) as well? Just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
You don't need a shut off at the filter if there is a shut off at the tank. Just close that one before the filter change.

Greetings,
Mr. CP. You're absolutely correct DIESEL BOATS ONLY!!!!
Mr. H. I was suggesting to be used on Mr. dh's boat which I HOPE is diesel.

You don't need a shut off at the filter if there is a shut off at the tank. Just close that one before the filter change.
I believe Dave is saying he could not find one, hence the problem and post.

Thanks Hawgwash for the bump. Also thanks for all the advice.
Yes, diesel.

- I agree that putting the hoses where they are on a spin on filter doesn't seem great. I really don't like spilling diesel.
- I have looked everywhere and don't see ANY shut off for the generator fuel supply.
- It is supplied by just the starboard tank. I might be able to transfer enough fuel to the port tank to get it low enough, but not sure.
- yeah, one nut is missing and the bolt that you see that is empty is just spinning. I may need to take the filter housing off anyway to correct that problem.

I have never used a Racor spin-on. To me, it just looks like a mess waiting to happen. I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a one piece spin on that would fit that Racor housing? Even a T-handle Racor would seem to be easier to deal with than the spin on Racor.

When Dan gets back from actually being out on Rogue, I will be interested to see if he knows of a fuel shut off for the generator on his boat.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. dh. Assuming you are able to remove the filter without too much mess, I would suggest you re-set that fitting on the left (I think it says IN) 90 degrees counter clockwise and route the hose in line with the fitting on the right AFTER installing a shut off valve on the first fitting. That will at least give you a bit more clearance to use a strap wrench, as suggested might be necessary.

If you trace the hose back, where does it end up? Describe please. It is inconceivable that the genset is plumbed directly into the tank.

Easy to change the filter without making a mess once you get the fuel shut off. Small catch bucket and some absorbent pads should do the trick. What is that line for on the filter bottom?

Greetings,
Mr. s. "What is that line for on the filter bottom?" I suspect it's wiring for a water sensor...

If you trace the hose back, where does it end up? Describe please. It is inconceivable that the genset is plumbed directly into the tank.

Easy to change the filter without making a mess once you get the fuel shut off. Small catch bucket and some absorbent pads should do the trick. What is that line for on the filter bottom?

I can trace the fuel supply line until it disappears over the edge of a Fiberglas bulkhead aft of the fuel tank. I have not yet figured out how to access the top of the tank.

RT is right, those wires are for the WIF sensor. Btw, it is not connected to anything. The WIF sensors on the main's Racors are wired up, but not the genset.

Can't you just clamp the hose with a needle nose vice grip? I bet one of those Irwin Quick grips would work nicely.

I actually have (Had? Haven't seen it for a while...) a clamp made for pinching hose. Made by Lisle, I think.

Last edited:
Can't you just clamp the hose with a needle nose vice grip? I bet one of those Irwin Quick grips would work nicely.

I actually have (Had? Haven't seen it for a while...) a clamp made for pinching hose. Made by Lisle, I think.

Look familiar? Any good?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 65
Depending what you can locate in terms of parts this is not that bad of a job, some diesel will get spilled but not much. Use a 3 lb coffee can under the assembly, have a 3/8" hose plug ready (if that is the size of the hose), and a 3/8" pipe plug. Also have you new ball ball assembly ready.

Then pull the hose and plug it quickly. Immediately unscrew the pipe fitting from the filter assembly and screw in the ball valve assembly you are going to use, then when you are ready pull the plug on the hose an reconnect.

As long as you have the correct parts ready you should be OK. The critical thing is plugging the hose from the tank. You won't lose enough from the filter assembly to fill the coffee can.

Try asking Trevor Bice, with NPT. Or...the PO.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

While you straightening everything out get rid if the cheap hose clamp on the hose in the left hand side of the picture and replace it with a good clamp like the one on the right hose.

And pick up a 7mm nut drive to tighten them with.

Greetings,
Mr. NS. I was going to suggest that BUT I've damaged hose doing so.

I thought about it as well, but I can see the hose splitting where it is clamped so thought better of it. An inline valve is the right way to do it I think. Now, I still am not convinced that I'm not missing something pretty basic.

Try asking Trevor Bice, with NPT. Or...the PO.

The PO won't know. Nice guy, but didn't pay much attention to those details. Trevor is very good about answering questions, but some things are changed on the boats by the owners. I will send him an email;.

If you DO NOT HAVE a way to shut off the fuel from a tank at the source, changing the filter is the least of your worries.

If you DO NOT HAVE a way to shut off the fuel from a tank at the source, changing the filter is the least of your worries.
Agree
At the first opportunity put in a shut off valve at the tank. Can't imagine a boat without one.

DH

Per chance it is tied into the same line as your valved main engine fuel supply. You do have a valve there I trust?

Agree
At the first opportunity put in a shut off valve at the tank. Can't imagine a boat without one.

I agree with both of you.

Per chance it is tied into the same line as your valved main engine fuel supply. You do have a valve there I trust?

Great question, tbh I don't know. What I am aware of are valves at the base of the sight tubes, valves in the fuel transfer lines at the base of each tank, and valves at the primary filter manifold that controls supply and return for the main engine. I don't know if there are valves at the tank itself. It appears as if the supply lines exit from the top of the tanks which I haven't yet figured out how to access.

Time to do some more digging around.

dhays; said:
Time to do some more digging around.
Sometimes the obvious eludes us. Have you tried these guys?
Login

I didn't bother signing up so don't know if there is more than one owner. There is also a NP Facebook. According to Mr. Google.

Back
Top Bottom