Replacing Engine After Only 335 Hours!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not worried about Volvo going back on their commitment. They have been very up-front and honorable in trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you.

I think the reasoning of some people is that you cannot really make/prove that statement until the new engine is installed in the boat. But it is up to you to trust them and hopefully all goes as you hope it to go.

If a Volvo rep came down and determined they need to replace the engines you should let them do it. Also I think there are some measurement issues involved here like you don't know how much oil between the max and min marks on the dipstick. From the spec you were quoted and your quoted fuel use that's around 11 ounces and pretty much impossible to measure on your dipstick. Let them install new full warranted engines. It will pay for itself down the road.

Via iPhone.

While I agree with the engine replacement, I can understand the timeline the owner wishes to pursue. As long as Volvo put in writing they can live with that schedule..that would be my liveaboard route too.

Volvo Replacing Engines

Well, after about 3 years of watching my new D4's burn inordinate amounts of oil Volvo has advised me that they will replace both of my long blocks under warranty.

The engines have nearly 400 hours on them and are burning oil at a rate of approximately .8% and .6%, port to starboard, respectively, and it seems to be getting worse. Volvo told me that .14%, oil burn to fuel, is normal so this consumption is way outside of that.

Yes, I've taken a lot of photos and intend on being there when the surgery takes place. Any further suggestions from you will be appreciated.

Talk to your insurance company about your concerns regarding potential damages done during this tear out and install. A before situation may be required such as a surveyor looking over the boat and then an after look as well.

Four parties are now involved - you, your insurer, the yard doing the work and Volvo. A fifth, the builder, have they been in the loop? They should be.

Is this a clue? Oil not returning where it should quickly enough being consumed around valve guides on top end or elsewhere?

The Volvo service rep has visited the boat only one time, hooked up his computer while I ran the sea trial, and told me everything was to spec.

Afterwards, even he was fooled by the oil level, which was extremly slow to rise.

That has been the extent of their "hands-on" involvement.

Vessel protection is important during the rebuild and is (should) be part for the cost and it's not a small one. Some mechanics are like a bull in a china store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. It's great that Volvo is taking care of this. I know it's a nuisance, but once fixed you will have years of good service ahead of you.

The key thing you can do now is make sure the work gets done without cutting any corners, and without damaging anything. In addition to all the protection already described, especially plywood on the floors and perhaps even the most exposed walls, I'd take an extensive series of pictures of the ER and the full path out of the boat that the engines will follow. Especially get photos of the woodwork and finishes so if there is damage from the work, you can clearly document that it wasn't there before.

Greetings,
What Mr. tt has suggested PLUS include the front page of a newspaper in the pic's to leave no doubt when they were taken.

Further...Mr. LM. Where did those pictures originate in post #67? That is certainly NOT a Volvo engine and they seem vaguely familiar somehow...

Last edited:
Can you get them to replace the engines with Cummins or Yanmars????...;)

Can you get them to replace the engines with Cummins or Yanmars????...;)

Good suggestion!

However... as I read this: It is Volvo doing the replacement under warrantee/guarantee provisions; not the ins co footing the engine swap bill. Bet cha Volvo will not even begin to discuss engine type replacements you mentioned. :nonono:

Good suggestion!

However... as I read this: It is Volvo doing the replacement under warrantee/guarantee provisions; not the ins co footing the engine swap bill. Bet cha Volvo will not even begin to discuss engine type replacements you mentioned. :nonono:

Oh I know....it was just a little humor...and fantasy! Hopefully the replacement engines will perform better!!!

Since wild speculation is what we do best, does anyone want to venture a guess as to why both engines are consuming so much oil?

I'll go first. I'll bet the engines sat for an extended period of time in adverse conditions prior to installation and/ or after, but before the boat was sold and put in service. A little flash corrosion on the cylinder walls is probably all it would take.

Was the boat built during the great boating depression? When was the boat actually built relative to when it was put in service? What about the the build date on the engines?

Interesting. The boat is a 2012 with the last part of the hull number "H112", if that specifies anything further. January 2012?

It was a stock boat with 30 hours on her when we bought in November of 2012.

I do have the serial number of the engines if that will help ID the time of manufacture.

I like the theory but have no clue as to the issue. Volvo told me that there will be no autopsy.

I'm told that this is unheard of for BOTH to have this happen.

I would suspect Volvo has an idea of the failure cause (high consumption), whether they will admit it or not is irrelevant to you as long as they replace and make good. I'm sure you are curious as we are. No post mortem means they know.

Well done Volvo for grasping the nettle and embarking on a major engine replacement.
I think it most unlikely Volvo does not already know, or is not keen to discover, the precise reason for defects requiring block replacement. If they could attribute the problem to something other than to manufacturing or design defect, they surely would. There has to be an issue they recognize to undertake such major warranty work.
For other users of the same engine model, I hope it is a problem peculiar to these 2 engines. My commiserations to rclarke246 for putting up with the inconvenience and worry the issue raises.

Last edited:
Volvo is known for discontinuing parts and support for older series engines. These are only 4 -5 years old, they should buck up and make it right.

Terrible luck. One can only try one's best to monitor the swap and prevent any further issues. I tend to think Volvo has had other similar examples , at least enough to help motivate the Warranty support.

One more warning. I would want to see the new engines arrive and uncrated and check serial numbers to insure they are in fact new engines, just off the lines and not having been sitting, and most definitely not rebuilt engines. Also to insure all engine parts and accessories are new, everything.

One more warning. I would want to see the new engines arrive and uncrated and check serial numbers to insure they are in fact new engines, just off the lines and not having been sitting, and most definitely not rebuilt engines. Also to insure all engine parts and accessories are new, everything.

Good Call!!

I think it most unlikely Volvo does not already know, or is not keen to discover, the precise reason for defects requiring block replacement.

Help me out here....a little double negative action....or triple negative???... Can you sum it up a little more simply???

Help me out here....a little double negative action....or triple negative???... Can you sum it up a little more simply???

Volvo knows without checking the engine the cause of the failure.

"Volvo knows without checking the engine the cause of the failure."

Probably because a very high percentage of that production run has already failed.

"Volvo knows without checking the engine the cause of the failure."

Probably because a very high percentage of that production run has already failed.

Then stands to reason that including protective questions to hold Volvo's feet to fire upon asked in a previous post... Also make sure the new engines are not from same run and that the run they are from has good results for durability. My heart goes out to boat owner in this terrible situation. Maybe Volvo should give owner extra $10G cash for efforts and duress experienced during this debacle.

I don't like saying this...but feel I should... I've not read or heard too many good things about Volvo diesel engines. Don't know if it's about the engine from factory or marineizing that happens thereafter.

Wonder if owner could sue in court for cash settlement and then install better engines?? Volvo might be happy to settle as that would probably cost them less in long run than replacing the engines. If it were my life in this instance... I'd contact a good attorney before going further. Volvo has already admitted culpability and failure of their product.

Then stands to reason that including protective questions to hold Volvo's feet to fire upon asked in a previous post... Also make sure the new engines are not from same run and that the run they are from has good results for durability. My heart goes out to boat owner in this terrible situation. Maybe Volvo should give owner extra $10G cash for efforts and duress experienced during this debacle.

I don't like saying this...but feel I should... I've not read or heard too many good things about Volvo diesel engines. Don't know if it's about the engine from factory or marineizing that happens thereafter.

Wonder if owner could sue in court for cash settlement and then install better engines?? Volvo might be happy to settle as that would probably cost them less in long run than replacing the engines. If it were my life in this instance... I'd contact a good attorney before going further. Volvo has already admitted culpability and failure of their product.

Most of the Volvo engines sold today are attached to IPS so no practical ability to switch brands of engines. I would also add this. While I've heard a lot of criticism of Volvo over the years, I really haven't heard much on recent years of production. This situation does surprise me. When it came to gas engines on boats on the lake, Volvo had developed as good if not better reputation than Mercruiser. In fact, the general view was better engine but more expensive to repair. In terms of diesel, I see very little Volvo being installed today, other than IPS. The few builders I see using non-IPS Volvo appear to be builders who also use a lot of IPS.

If you get a new engine to replace the one giving problems, properly installed, and with a full new engine warranty, then be very thankful. Don't get greedy beyond and do not threaten at any point involving attorney's or suing. The moment litigation enters the picture, then they turn it over to their legal staff and any agreed solution may be out the window.

Now, when I say I believe they know the problem, I look at that as good in this situation. It means they also know the engines involved, have corrected current models, and know how not to repeat it.

Most of the Volvo engines sold today are attached to IPS so no practical ability to switch brands of engines. I would also add this. While I've heard a lot of criticism of Volvo over the years, I really haven't heard much on recent years of production. This situation does surprise me. When it came to gas engines on boats on the lake, Volvo had developed as good if not better reputation than Mercruiser. In fact, the general view was better engine but more expensive to repair. In terms of diesel, I see very little Volvo being installed today, other than IPS. The few builders I see using non-IPS Volvo appear to be builders who also use a lot of IPS.

If you get a new engine to replace the one giving problems, properly installed, and with a full new engine warranty, then be very thankful. Don't get greedy beyond and do not threaten at any point involving attorney's or suing. The moment litigation enters the picture, then they turn it over to their legal staff and any agreed solution may be out the window.

Now, when I say I believe they know the problem, I look at that as good in this situation. It means they also know the engines involved, have corrected current models, and know how not to repeat it.

Trusting soul.

Old saying: First time shame on you... Second time shame on me.

I agree that it may be best to do as you recommend by letting Volvo effect the swap... etc. But then again it may not. I get extremely pointed when facing circumstances anything like this.

What hp ratings are these d4's? A few years ago, a boat that I had taken notice of, and that I had seen more than a few times, at different locations, was in a yard in Blaine, for engine changes. The boat was about 36 feet, sportfisher style, one off built locally, weighing I would guess around 20k. I had spoken with owner in Friday Hbr, while I was admiring his boat. It was powered by d4's, 260 hp wth legs. I thought it was underpowered, and asking a lot of these 4 banger engines, which are pretty hi-tech with turbos and superchargers for this particular boat. Don't know what his problem was, but he was getting new motors. At the time I had a similar but smaller boat powered by ad41 Volvos, and the newer models of my boat were using d4's. Always thought they were a good choice, shorter and wider than the 41's, but hp ratings of up to 310, if I am remembering correctly. Good luck.

Trusting soul.

Old saying: First time shame on you... Second time shame on me.

I agree that it may be best to do as you recommend by letting Volvo effect the swap... etc. But then again it may not. I get extremely pointed when facing circumstances anything like this.

Well, it's a matter of wanting the boat back in service. I wasn't trusting, very rigid requirements. But involving lawyers will turn a 90 day exercise into years. Most corporations will discuss, will argue, will debate, but the minute an attorney is brought into the equation they refer it to their legal department and those in operations will no longer be allowed to speak with you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom