'26 Tollycraft Interior refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prairieoyster

Has anyone out there in radio-land re-configured the interior of a '26 Tollycraft?

The interior of mine is in sorry shape.... and I'm not sure even 10 coats of varnish would fix her up.

Laminate is chipped.

Teak is faded and scratched.

Dinette looks like the booth from a Saskatchewan truck stop.

Diesel stove leaked all over the counter.

Any new ideas?

Last edited:
Have you gone to Yachtworld to look at the current 26 fleet that's for sale?
Should be interior pictures to check for updated interiors.

Thanks,
I looked on Google but never thought of Yacht world. If I am going to gut it I could do anything I can think of....however... that being said the current design has stood the test of time and the fact that guys like me keep these boats repaired is testament to their originally good design.

Tollycraft owners forum????? Are you a member? If not become one as it is an active forum and I would venture that you will get some suggestions/help from there. Maybe photos.

I know three people with these boats in our marina and they love??? them.

The Experiment

Today I took a small door from the Tolly. it was laminate covered and edge taped. It was to be my first experiment with veneering.
So...I cleaned it and on a whin applied a coat of Epiphanes Rapid Coat Varnish.

The varnish stuck on and dried to a really glossy finish. It looked like new.

has anyone had success varnishing old beat-up laminate?

Next experiment will be using System3 clear epoxy sealer. I have more faith in this product sticking to the laminate than the varnish but 'ya never can tell.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Different boat but yes, I used to varnish my exterior locker doors [6] which were covered with laminate/Arborite woodgrain. The doors looked good. Varnish only and I kept the varnish up for ~20 years untill the plywood itself started to delaminate.

They have now all been replaced and the frames re&re'd.

Back
Top Bottom