Ready to start a new life as a livaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshuajared89

Hello All,

I've decided that I'd like to become a liveaboard on a houseboat. I've never had a boating license before or owned a boat for that matter. I've done a lot of research and I think I'm capable of owning and living on a houseboat. I think I would want to live somewhere where it's warm most of the year (for obvious reasons). I currently live in upstate New York. What I'm looking for from this thread is any and all feedback (good or bad) to get a full picture of the liveaboard experience. I realize that I can read all I want about the subject but until I experience it, I will not be able to think of all aspects. One problem I'm having is where to set up shop. As I said before, I would prefer warm weather climates. I'm thinking Virginia is as North as I would want to live and I am more of a fresh water person than ocean-ready. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Do you want your houseboat to move? Or will it strictly be moored at a dock? If you want a boat to liveaboard and go cruising on, you'll spend a whole lot more money (not just initial cost, but ongoing costs too) than if you're just looking for a floating home.

I've been living aboard for a couple years. I love it, but the compromises of living on a boat wouldn't be worth it if I couldn't use the boat as a boat.

What's your budget? Why are you attracted to the idea of living aboard?

What will be your job status wherever you wind up?

It is one thing to live aboard and be retired or cruising...and another to liveaboard but hold a steady off the boat job.

I am on my 3rd liveaboard where I worked full time the first 2 and part time the third.

I've decided that I'd like to become a liveaboard on a houseboat.

Why?

You might hum a few bars about what you'd be trying to accomplish. Lots of good reasons to live on a boat, but then there are also some reasons that don't necessarily pan out all that well for everyone. If you can say what you're end goal is, or what "problem" you might be trying to "solve," or maybe what itch you're trying to scratch, that might help folks respond better.

-Chris

Hello All,

I've decided that I'd like to become a liveaboard on a houseboat. I've never had a boating license before or owned a boat for that matter. I've done a lot of research and I think I'm capable of owning and living on a houseboat. I think I would want to live somewhere where it's warm most of the year (for obvious reasons). I currently live in upstate New York. What I'm looking for from this thread is any and all feedback (good or bad) to get a full picture of the liveaboard experience. I realize that I can read all I want about the subject but until I experience it, I will not be able to think of all aspects. One problem I'm having is where to set up shop. As I said before, I would prefer warm weather climates. I'm thinking Virginia is as North as I would want to live and I am more of a fresh water person than ocean-ready. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Wifey B: Whoaaaaaaaaaa Nelly. :eek: Back up a second and take a deep breath. Live aboard? Why? Houseboat? Why? Think you can do it? Why? Do you work? Will you? How much can you pay? Any idea how much maintenance will be? Lake worthy or permanently stationary? Why fresh water? Small lake or big river? I'm sorry but it sounds a bit like me saying I'd like to go into space or visit the moon. Actually do have one thing I'd like to see how it is to do weightless. :eek: Nevermind that.

Help us a bit so maybe we can help you. You may have thought it through far more than it looks like but just not shared all that in your post.

There are places with lots of houseboaters living aboard like Cumberland River, Kentucky Lake, Lake Lanier in GA.

Might be a good idea to go rent a houseboat first and maybe spend a week on one or a month or something. They have them for rent in the places I mentioned. Cumberland gets shivery cold in winter. Kentucky lake too a bit. Lanier is tolerable in the winter but I see icicles in your future.

Tell us a bit more and we'll try to help. :D

My forensics are leading me to say that based on the email signature, this chap is around 27 or so. My youngest and his wife ( same age ) would move onto our boat in a minute. If you can live light, it may be for you. I've been in sales for 32 years, and being close to an airport and having WiFi are a prerequisite- therefore I could get away with it- except I love cutting the lawn and having a house.

If you think about it, a younger person with enough money to get into boating would probably get on better than young home owners. Even slip rent, utilities, etc., would be less than renting an apartment and paying utilities. Park the car at the marina.

IMHO he has not given enough info for any of us to render an opinion but should be encouraged to provide more of what he is looking for. Maybe finances and a job are not an issue with him.

Cutting grass puts me into my zone. Zero turn, 2 acres, sunny and warm, a cigar.

I have spent more than a fair share of time on the water.....but I can relate to a great lawn tractor and a couple cool ones for the ride....:thumb:

I have already offered my son trading time on his tractor cutting his lawn for helping me paint my trawler's bottom this summer....that would be a GREAT deal....:D

But back to the OP.....start small...ask specific questions and you might get specific answers instead of grasscutting info...:eek:

Last edited:
giphy.gif

RTF, I think you have outdone yourself on that one!!!!

Ok. Thank you all for your responses. I will be working full time. I make a little over 50 k year so I have some disposable income to fix a boat up. I'm mechanically inclined with combustible engines and I've owned rental properties where I've done all the work myself. I'm 42 years old, been single for 15 years, raised an 18 year old on my own, and have a zest for life. Geez, I feel like I'm filling out the "about me" section of an online dating site. Lol. WiFi and electric is a must at a marina. Freshwater because I'm more confident around freshwater having grown up on Lake Ontario and the finger lakes in NY. I prefer to fish and swim in freshwater. The reason I want to liveaboard is primarily because I'm a minamalist. I don't need much. I live in a 1000 Sq ft house right now and except for my weight room, it seems big to me. What else would be pertinent to helping me make a decision? This is good stuff, guys (and girls). Keep it coming!

I'm asking for general help because I'm sure there are people out there that went into living aboard a little blindly and it either worked out for them or it didnt. I want to hear both sides. What was something you'd never do again? What was something you regretted? What would you do more of?

I think you can do it. I lived aboard for 5 years and didn't really regret anything. Storage is a BIG thing. Some boats boast of "lots" of storage but that storage ends up being in numerous small compartments....instead of nice big drawers and closets. Drawers and closets are a big deal. Also, the great lakes are not really "lakes" in the sense that they are big water. You can get yourself into just as much trouble out in the Great Lakes as you can in the ocean. Anyway, go for it. I'd go with a real boat instead of a house boat but that is just me. I would want to get the boat out of the slip and cruise around...especially the Great Lakes. There is some very fine cruising around there.

OK, that's a useful start...

I suspect the largest hurdles will be about winter, and winter, and winter...

Heat onboard. (Or AC, way south.) Waste disposal. Freshwater supply. You'll face those everywhere...

And mold...

But yes, further south would help mitigate some/much/maybe all of that. Northern VA isn't too far from where we are, and I'd suggest further south...

Waste disposal complicated further if your target is fresh water lakes.

(Lots of coastal areas, tidal rivers, etc. might be very similar to your lake experience, and you don't immediately transition to open ocean in areas like that, so you might consider expanding your analysis to include areas like that.)

Lots o' work maintaining a boat yourself. Almost daily maintenance on something or other. Usually fixing or replacing something that needs you to bend into pretzel shape, get yourself upside down in an area you can't quickly get out of (don't forget a key tool), work on a part you can't see and which is beyond your reach... and replacement parts almost always cost 2x or more compared to residential stuff.

OTOH, it's not rocket science.

Do you want to go places in your house (boat)? Or always keep it at a marina, never moving (aka dock queen)? Or somewhere in between there?

A matter of terminology: a houseboat is often thought of as a rectangular boat with a flat hull, suitable for lakes and inland rivers and so forth. (Lots of latitude in definitions like that, though.) Lots of other boats are also suitable for living aboard, but have different names. If you really mean the former, fine. If you're really more focused on living aboard on something that floats, that can open the discussion in several directions.

-Chris

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 89. Some pretty good suggestions so far and mine would also be: Locate somewhere WARM. As mentioned, freezing temperatures add a whole different level of problems and complexity. Trust me, it's no fun trying to navigate along an ice covered dock for your morning ablutions because your water supply is frozen up not to mention the possibility of falling in. A few years back a live aboard neighbor slipped on his icy swim platform and took an unscheduled bath in frigid waters. It can and does happen. His shoulder, which he injured in the fall still troubles him to this day.

Don't discount salt water offhand. A lot to be said for a bucket of fresh crab caught off the side.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I DO Like crab. Interesting sentiment. What are some pros and cons of living in salt water? Actually, I can imagine the pros, what are some major cons?

We became a live aboard not intending and not knowing much. My wife found and bought the Eagle 21 years and we been a live aboard for 19 years as dock queen condo as it was the biggest boat we could afford. It was not live aboard ready so we had to add and up grade. Wr did not know we were a live aboard until we notice s LAB fee, live a board as we were staying and working on the boat so much.

For a full time live aboard thearea and the marina are equal or more important than the boat. Sanitation pump out marina facilities, toilet shower laundry and live a board friendly. The boat should be more live a aboard comfort, and easy getting on and off the boat. We have seen thousand of liv aboard come and go for a number of reasons. Mostly because the boat and Marian and they were not live a board ready.

So talk and walk the marinas and talk to the marinas, and live aboards. :thumb:

Ok. Thank you all for your responses. I will be working full time. I make a little over 50 k year so I have some disposable income to fix a boat up. I'm mechanically inclined with combustible engines and I've owned rental properties where I've done all the work myself. I'm 42 years old, been single for 15 years, raised an 18 year old on my own, and have a zest for life. Geez, I feel like I'm filling out the "about me" section of an online dating site. Lol. WiFi and electric is a must at a marina. Freshwater because I'm more confident around freshwater having grown up on Lake Ontario and the finger lakes in NY. I prefer to fish and swim in freshwater. The reason I want to liveaboard is primarily because I'm a minamalist. I don't need much. I live in a 1000 Sq ft house right now and except for my weight room, it seems big to me. What else would be pertinent to helping me make a decision? This is good stuff, guys (and girls). Keep it coming!

What would be pertinent still is the following:

How much are you prepared to pay for the boat?

Do you want to just live on it or to also move around and enjoy the water oni it?

What type of work do you do and what kind of areas would your job skills be transferable to? This becomes important in choosing locations. Also, many jobs in Rochester, NY will not earn the same in some areas of the south.

How do you feel about a small land locked inland lake vs. a lake on a navigable river vs. coastal?

Why houseboat vs. cruiser or trawler?

Your question of those who have successfully done it vs those who haven't really depend very much on the answers to these questions. Those for whom living aboard has been a dismal failure will not be posting on this site or other boating sites. Only the survivors here. No different than those who purchased a trawler and found it to be the worst decision of their lives, lost it in foreclosure, it bankrupted them, and they don't ever want to see a boat again. They aren't here. Yet, they do exist.

This is a site composed only of those who have found they enjoyed boats and for whom it has become an important part of their lives. So, we're a very biased group and a narrow demographic when it comes to how our experiences have gone.

We still have no insight into why you want to do this. It sounds honestly like you've raised your teenager and now are looking for a major life change, but are you just looking for change for change's sake or is living on a boat something that has drawn you to it for years? Have you had great experiences on a boat or just longed from a distance? Still, why a houseboat? What appeals to you about it?

I see you having three choices for year round "houseboat" living and I would rent and try any of these options that appeal to you. 1-Inland River like the Cumberland or Tennessee. Still seasonal. 2-Inland landlocked lake like Lanier or Powell or Havasu. Still seasonal but warmer than Cumberland. There are rentals available in both #1 and #2 for you to try. 3-Trawler or cruiser along the coast. I'd suggest a charter along the west coast of FL to check that type living out. We're talking a 30-50' Grand Banks or similar type boat along the coast and capable of coastal cruising.

You said you have basically no boating experience so my suggestion would be to start a little smaller, maybe an outboard runabout type boat. Get some experience, and have some fun, see if you really like it.

Greetings,
Mr. 89. Two of the cons that immediately come to mind are increased hull fouling (barnacles/algae-weeds) and increased corrosion due to the salt atmosphere. One other thing to consider if you are planning a southern retreat is weather. Specifically hurricanes. Depending on where you locate, dangers could be the same in salt as well as in fresh water.

Edit: One thing that has not been mentioned yet, unless I missed it, is finding a location that even allows living aboard. Yet another thing to consider...

Another thought...Boating is not necessarily cheap. It can be IF carefully planned out but consider IF one puts all their eggs in one basket (boat) and that basket sinks, you will pretty well have to start over.

I know of an older retired couple, really GREAT people who live aboard their 40' sail boat. I suspect they're both on SS and don't have lots of $$. Chuck told me one time if their boat ever sank they'd be totally screwed because that boat and it's contents were all their worldly possessions.

Last edited:
Good info, people. All of you are extremely helpful. However, I don't understand what the reason I want to live full time on a boat has anything to do with anything. Can you explain why that's important? I've thought long and hard about it and I'm in the beginning of the beginning of planning stages to do it. I'm ready for the challenge and I'm committed.

A couple other things. The water just like land is zoned for the use and kind of boat. Most marinas have restriction as to weather live aboard are allowed, and what kind of boat is allowed, no project boats, and no barges and house boats that tended to be tied to the dock. So make sure you ask the marina.

Brackish water, fresh and salt mix is good compromise. We moor in brackish water. Fresh water is lighter than salt so the fresh floating on top, so the boat might be moored in fresh water.

Lastly even though you are not married now, it's still best to have a female prospective, as they tend to pay more attention to creature comfort and easy of walking to the boat getting on off the boat, get in out of the boat. If not tie one arm to you back and restrict you legs to half stride, if you can not the boat is not a good live aboard. My wife found and bought a great live a board boat. Females are usually the first to move off the boat.:flowers:

Good info, people. All of you are extremely helpful. However, I don't understand what the reason I want to live full time on a boat has anything to do with anything. Can you explain why that's important? I've thought long and hard about it and I'm in the beginning of the beginning of planning stages to do it. I'm ready for the challenge and I'm committed.

Because your reason for wanting to do it has a very direct relationship to what boat and where would make sense as well as to whether you'll end up being happy doing it and find it meets your expectations.

Reasons we choose to do things correlate to how it works out for us.

Good luck with your plans.

Greetings,
Mr. 89. "...has anything to do with anything..." I think I understand your point. MY point is that at 42 years old you've lived on solid ground with a roof over your head and moving aboard a boat is a major lifestyle change. You're afloat man with all the differences, combinations and permutations that such a move suggests, as mentioned above and I'm sure below.

Yup, everyone has to live somewhere but IMHO, you will possibly face as many challenges moving aboard as you would moving to China. Language being the least of your worries.

That being said, go forth with your eyes open. Do your homework and enjoy yourself.

Perhaps the best litmus test would be to rent one on a lake for a week. Even if you do not move it you would have some idea what life might have in store for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom