Boat built in Canada, documented in U.S.A.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Old School
Vessel Make
38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Greetings all:
If your boat is foreign built (Canada) but documented in the USA, can it be used for commerce? What got me thinking about this was the BP oil spill from a few years back, they took just about anything that would float and paid big bucks to rent them.
Mike

To answer your question, it depends. No would be the typical answer unless you have a waiver for a particular type of commerce. It will list, on the documentation papers, what uses and restrictions apply.

Greetings,
Mr. GC. As Mr. u points out there ARE exceptions but the Jones Act limits those vessels that can be commercially used in the USA to American built vessels. I think there are also restrictions regarding foreign crew as well. Just going from memory here...

Good memory RTF. Jones Act. US Crew, US built, and US owned to operate between US Ports. I believe there have been certain blanket exceptions allowed during times of need. I do not remember if the BP clean up allowed for the waiver/exception but if I remember correctly Katrina did allow for a temporary exception. Puerto Rico has had some disadvantage due to vessels going between P.R. then to the US mainland must be US. There was a movement a few years ago to do away with the act in entirety but failed to pass.

You can generally get an exception to charter the boat for recreational use. Beyond that it would likely be on a case by case basis.

Yes, no, maybe, depends...
The Jones Act

Interesting stuff on bare boat charters.
i.e. It is not permissible for the owner to choose the skipper on a bare boat.

Generally, it requires a presidential order to get an exclusion. (or an inflatable boat; they are not covered in the Jones act)

The Jones Act survived NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement), although Canada pushed hard to get it removed.

Thank y'all for the answers. I looked at my doc certificate, as follows:
Operational Endorsements: Recreation
Restrictions: No Coastwise-Foreign built
No Fishery-Foreign built
So that says no commerce at all for the boat. Who would you contact to see about some kind of exclusion? Or just wait for the next big disaster?

What if the vessel is state registered and not documented?

United States Maritime Administration is the agency to apply for exclusions. As mentioned before the Jones Act covers all vessels other than a dingy no matter what the registration or documentation. An "inspected vessel" would need be documented.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom