Tank Hold Down Strap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
Someone asked about tank hold downs.

Here is the strap listed on my 2008 MS 34HT BOM

Not sure exactly what other years this was used on but it should work as a replacement if original is similar size

Attachments

• 1011701 Tank Strap.jpg
    1011701 Tank Strap.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 82
That looks like the insulation that goes between the hold down strap and the tank.

I believe you are correct - only tank holdown I could find on either 30P or 34T BOM?

Anyone else have any info on the tank holdown straps?

The actuall hold down strap should be a length of aluminum flat stock maybe 3/16 thick, bent to fit the tank. Ideally it would have a way to tighten it. Lots of ways to do this, only one "right" way, that I know of.

Oh for Pete's sake! It's not a nuclear waste storage facility, it's just a means of keeping a plastic sewage tank in place so it won't slide around....which is all that's needed 'cuz very few have ever been known to bounce.

So all you really need is some picture frame molding--or even some quarter round...create a frame around the bottom of the tank with it and then glue it down. Or, some lawn chair webbing to strap it down if you're worried that it COULD bounce.

But I've been around here long enough to bet money that there will be at least 10 replies attempting to explain why a simple strap or frame needs to be capable of securing a 747.

Last edited:
I wonder if the conversation is about holding tank or fuel tank.

If ABYC requirements are quoted for so many other things here...whether valid or not...wonder what they might be concerning securing tanks.

I found USCG regs for securing portable fuel tanks, but nothing from them or ABYC about securing permanent installed fuel or waste tanks. Nor, in all the years I've been in marine sanitation have I ever heard of any standards or regs for installing waste tanks other than a USCG reg that requires black and gray water holding to be totally separate systems...separate tanks and no common plumbing, not even a tank vent.

It would indeed be helpful to know what type of tank the OP is installing.

Last edited:
My fuel tanks are held down by standard type ratchet straps, like the kind you get holding loads down on a truck trailer. They are widely available in lots of sizes and are low cost. I used a really cheap one about an inch and a half wide to hold my second calorifier down, and use 2 more for holding my tender in place against the vertical davits.

Cheap as chips, strong, unfastenable, what's not to like?

My fuel tanks are held down by standard type ratchet straps, like the kind you get holding loads down on a truck trailer. They are widely available in lots of sizes and are low cost. I used a really cheap one about an inch and a half wide to hold my second calorifier down, and use 2 more for holding my tender in place against the vertical davits.

Cheap as chips, strong, unfastenable, what's not to like?

Not going to comment on the use of the strap. However when it comes to these straps you definitely get what you pay for.

It all depends on how/where your boat is used.

In protected waters, a light strap might be fine.
I get rolled around a fair bit so, my tanks have tabs welded on the bottom and sides which are thru-bolted to the base and bulkhead.

A little shift in position can cause blockage or leaks in fuel lines due to kinking or rubbing of hoses with vibration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom