Drone Video Of Where We Keep Our Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
The lock is currently closed for ten year maintenance. After turning the drone flies over our dock - you can just see me standing above the dock (boat is at the boat yard so dock is empty).

[/video]

yeah, after watching that, I live in an urban ghetto in comparison. Very nice.

Neat video. What type of drone are you using?

Phantom 3 Advanced.

That's what I am looking at. $739 on Amazon now.

Yes, they just came out with the Phantom 4, so the prices on the 3s are dropping like, well like drones!! :)

Here is one from last October. Woke up one morning to this sunrise and wanted to film it. The ICW through Jacksonville Beach is in the background.

[/video]

Egad! You sure live in flat country!!

Very nice video's menzies. How long did it take you to get confident in flying the drone. I got a cheap $500 Bebop drone and I gave up trying to fly it using my tablet.

Tim, it took we a while to get comfortable flying it over water, but that was more my problem that the drone's.

This thing is idiot proof so long as you do the pre-flight checks.

Those include making sure that the firmware on the aircraft (smart battery) and RC controller are all up to date, the props are firmly set, and you have a clear "return home" path.

But once you start to fly her with some confidence you soon realize how awesome these designs are. With gimbals, barometers, smart software, etc. etc. these machines are awesome.

The potential recreational uses are endless, but frankly the uses for search and rescue are what I see as being the biggest benefit.

Watch this space!

Those are very cool videos! Amazing how stable they look.

I've got a couple of waterproof drones for sale in my store. I guess I'll have to buy one and learn to fly it.

Are they hard to set up? Remember I'm an old fart with limited computer skills.

Those are very cool videos! Amazing how stable they look.

I've got a couple of waterproof drones for sale in my store. I guess I'll have to buy one and learn to fly it.

Are they hard to set up? Remember I'm an old fart with limited computer skills.

Not at all. The hardest part is being appropriately confident to get the best results. I think this stems from the old days when we got an RC helicopter for Christmas and by lunchtime it was smashed!

I think this stems from the old days when we got an RC helicopter for Christmas and by lunchtime it was smashed!

My biggest fear. I have a Parrot Bebop drone and I've crashed it several times. My fault, but using a tablet to control the thing doesn't seem to work for me. Hardest part is getting use to controlling it when it's coming at you.

With the Phantom you would just let go and the aircraft will stop and hover right where it using the GPS, gimbals, and barometer.

Same with the Bebop. Just hard to use the tablet to control it and no FPV. I haven't used it for several months, going to charge it up and try again, but with the Phantom Advance prices hovering around $720......

Nice property! Nice boats!

You keep the boats moored out there all the time?

Last edited:
Cool vid, Menzies, and an interesting perspective on the QH lock. BTW, did you catch my PM of a week or two ago (related to a different thread)?

Yes I did, thanks.

Unfortunately I didn't get many other takers.

Probably best approach is to post when I will be anchoring where and see if there is interest.

Egad! You sure live in flat country!!

Florida is flat. Florida's highest point, Britton Hill, rises to 345 feet (105 meters) above sea level in the Florida Panhandle.

View of the elevation of the area Menzies is in.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-31%2Bat%2B1.02.28%2BPM.png

We're on the mooring most of the time,the nearest decent marina for our size is 4 hours steaming away.Plus it's only $70 bucks a year plus servicing the mooring,it's tidal with a lot of fresh water so barnacle buildup is almost nil,the marina we do use occasionally seems to have a high buildup which doubles our slipping if we stay there..
We're really lucky living here it's one of the best cruising grounds in Australia.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom