Ursa Major

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malahide

Vessel Name
Ursa Major
Vessel Make
Malahide
Greetings to the Trawler Forum!

This is my first post and hope to become a part of the trawler forum. I will be posting pictures and details of the 65ft. Malahide, "Ursa Major".

-Josh-

Josh, Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to pics!

Ted

Where was she built? Ireland, Norway or Portugal?

Welcome and I too look forward to the pics!

Well, she's the stuff of dreams. Hard to imagine more boat than that one already is. With a 9 ft. draft though, she's a proper ocean boat.

Mods, unlock the man's ability to post photos! Looking forward to taking a look.

Greetings to the Trawler Forum! This is my first post and hope to become a part of the trawler forum. I will be posting pictures and details of the 65ft. Malahide, "Ursa Major". -Josh-

First, welcome aboard! I know URSA MAJOR... in '06 her owner--a lady doctor in Seattle--brought me up to Alaska to survey and trouble-shoot her sanitation system. And if my memory hasn't slipped a cog, her captain's name was Josh. If so--and you're the same Josh--are you still her captain, or have you bought her?

Meanwhile you'll find lots of pics on the website to which Murray posted a link, and even more if you Google "Ursa Major."

Greetings to the Trawler Forum!

This is my first post and hope to become a part of the trawler forum. I will be posting pictures and details of the 65ft. Malahide, "Ursa Major".

-Josh-

Hi Josh, did Joyce sell you the Ursa? If so, you have an awesome vessel.

Welcome aboard Big Bear. Do you fly an Alaskan flag??

:popcorn: i was told there'd be pictures :popcorn:

Great to see the boat is back in the Seattle area. :thumb:

I would love to see pictures as well, ursa and the rose are about the same size with the draft exception, the rose only draws 1 1/2'

One of the saltiest vessels in the Pacific Northwest - hope we see you out there!

I'm sorry, 2 1/2', and yes it is a pretty big exception

HeadMistress,

This is the same Josh that was with you on your trip in Alaska! Good to hear from you!

12888-albums484-picture2798.jpg

This spring project was the renew the pilothouse. Have cleaned up appearances and reduced "legacy" wiring issues...

Glad to see the enthusiastic welcome for Captain Josh the group gave. I encouraged him to join under his own name as he has some wonderful tales to tell, adventures, and photos to share. The bridge is shining for the new season after some weeks of work for new ceiling panels.

Josh and I are working on a slow transfer of care for this eternal trawler into his qualified hands. She is looking the best she has been in the last 15 years due to the care of Captain Josh and Captain Emily. No one owns a wooden boat, you just take care of it for the next generation. I want more time to work on the history of the Malahides and Romsdals as I excavate my archives of historical documents. I asked Josh will share some of the insights we have on this classic trawler yacht as we continue to modernize without destroying her heritage and working to share her with others. Thanks for the heads up (all puns intended) from Peggy our Headmistress of the forum. We now have two new modern heads and less poop prone adventures since her trip with us and survey and advice years ago. All is as well as it can be marine sanitation wise on the Ursa these days.

Ursa Major and her caretakers have three mission goals:

1. Preserve a classic boat for the future
2. Maximum fun for maximum number of people while doing it
3. Let's not make the owner go broke.

Josh has some wonderful drone aerial shots of our visit in Alaska last year showing marinas and anchorages posted on YouTube and I will post the link for the entertainment of the group.

I have to get back and answer a few threads that had Romsdal and Malahide questions from the past that I missed. I have been too busy taking care of arthritis patients these last few years. Watch for some more historical info on these boats and where they are now.

Joyce (the lady doctor owner of Ursa Major)

For your immediate enjoyment: aerial video of Wrangell, Petersburg harbors in Alaska and some anchorages plus view of Ursa Major underway and at anchorage via drone camera, visit YouTube and search for Ursa Major Charters and you will get some fantastic shots of video. There is a 100 years of cruising in SE Alaska alone.

Would someone please tell me what is the device on the right window of the Malahide(post22). I have seen them on many boats and have no ideal what that is for.

I don't know but I want one!

Correct Clear View. It is a very balanced spinning glass insert that spins off water by centrifugal force so ice will not form and one can see out in rain well. Common on commercial type boats going into cold. No wipers and reverse racked window for visibility. Continues working well after 45 years and we hope many more. We can post more detail image if desired.

Back
Top Bottom