Diesel clean-up products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris...I bolted on a Racor 120 to get rid of those ridiculous 17 part original, dual filters on the Lehman...it is rated at 20gph which I doubt is high enough for your engines (with partial clogging)...but they have similar ones with more flow I believe.

Yeah...yeah... to all the ABYC nuts...I'll worry about the plastic bowl when the time comes....fire aboard or trawler for sale....:D

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 60
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I did have a quick look at the Davco and Racor websites. Most on the former seemed large, and most I found on the latter seem to be more about fuel/water separating than simply filtering, but I'm hampered a bit by not knowing some stuff. As usual. :)

I know what I've got (sorta), so I know how big it is, how many ports, I know I need bleed screws... but have no clue about flow rate or filter density.

I can't find (or can't recognize) a minimum fuel flow rate for the Yanmar 3TNE74 engine. Nor anything about the OEM secondary fuel filter; element density, flow rate, all a mystery. Have specs up the gazoo, but not that, either in Kohler or Yanmar docs that I have available. It's only making 14-hp at 1800 RPMs, so can't be that much, I'd think...

The OEM filter assembly is probably about 4½"H x 3" diameter, not huge.

Would seem to me something that takes screw-in fittings -- instead of an apparently press-in input fitting -- would be better.

I've queried Kohler, but doubt I'll get anything other than a vanilla answer.

Racor has a nifty selection tool that's almost unusable for somebody like me: Let's configure your filter! OK, what series do you want?

Huh? How the hell do I know?

That might work a little better if I had those pesky factoids, but for first guesses... not so much. (It's a bit discouraging to know I'm not even a competent shopper.)

-Chris

I just remembered what the something was......THE MANUAL! You would not think of installing a automotive starter in your engine room would you? So why in the world would you think sucking diesel through an electric motor would be a good thing?

Thanks for the Greeting RT.

Sure, ignition protected devices I do not believe are required in diesel engine rooms.

The explosive concentration of diesel fuel vapors would be tough to reach if suckling up a tiny layer of diesel and water...especially if emulsified already.

Many have done it successfully, me included, and as someone asked.....anyone ever hear of an issue with vacuums and diesel? Gas certainly...diesel?

I just remembered what the something was......THE MANUAL! You would not think of installing a automotive starter in your engine room would you? So why in the world would you think sucking diesel through an electric motor would be a good thing?

Of course I wouldn't put an automotive thing in a gas engine room, nor would I use a shop-vac on gas...

But diesel is not particularly flammable... and I needed to reduce the level quickly (slightly faster to start sucking than to disconnect the batteries.), my transfer pump was at home (winter project) while the shop-vac was on the boat... so I weighed the risks for a nano-second and got on with it.

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but then my first choice wouldn't have included a broken fuel filter assembly while the transfer pump wasn't around, either.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom