View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When I was bringing my boat home after purchase I was surprised to find a drop of oil hanging from the lower lip of the alternator housing dripping maybe a drop or two per day. there are no oil hoses or fittings anywhere near there. Puzzled I asked around online and was told that the alternator pumps so much air through it oil will collect there if there is the slightest mist from the engine there was no oil at all anywhere else. I bought one of those SBMAR kits and it solved the problem, not a drop since. I had the alternator checked a the guy told me no danger of fire but the oil would collect dust and like a grinding compound wear the parts faster.
It is an easy installation if you have oil under the alternator you might try it since you already have it on hand.
On my previous boat a Camano with Volvo TAMD the aftercooler used to drip oil I put a tube and "Puke bottle" with paper towels wadded inside it seemed to work fine. Like post #5 above
I don't have an oily engine room. I will check the alternators and see if there is any oil showing up. The air filters on the engines are clean and show no oil on them.

This looks like an easy kit to attach and since it is already paid for and ready to go on, I will put them on my engines in the future. Maybe not tomorrow, but I can see it getting done this spring.

Thanks everyone for the information. The Seaboard Marine website has great photos on how this all attaches to my engines.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote