Thread: Hurricane plans
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Note that they require a plan. Give them a plan but make it clear you're not committing to doing any of it. We've presented alternatives that we might consider. However, our plan reads something like this.

Here are options we might consider in the event of a forecast hurricane.

Where it is normally docked there has not been serious hurricane damage in xx years.

We may consider running it to a marina up New River.

If we were in the NC area, we may consider having it pulled out by Jarrett Bay.

If we know in time and have the time ourselves we may consider running it outside the projected hurricane path.

If we are outside the projected hurricane area we may consider leaving it there.

If leaving it tied where it is, we may try to protect it more by ......

But our priorities will always be with life and safety over protecting the boat and while we recognize various possible hurricane measures that can be taken we may not take any of them. Also, we might take action intended to avoid a hurricane but that actually lead to damage being suffered that would not have been had we done nothing.

Now our plan is more formal than that, includes even some diagrams of areas and hurricane history. However, it simply presents options that we may or may not consider and makes it clear we may well do nothing.

The reality is that our major hurricane plan is to get ourselves to safety.

Now, despite the fact we live in Fort Lauderdale, we are not in a major hurricane area. Our house is no longer even classified in the higher flood zone. Where we keep out boat is probably the most protected place it could be. And, if it gets destroyed by a hurricane, then that's why we have the insurance.

Insurers are wanting plans and don't even grasp the comparative risks. Run north they say. Perhaps they aren't aware of Sandy. I love to hear them say the people there should have taken steps, because I really am not aware of any safe steps they could have taken. Certainly not based on the time they got from US forecasts. (European model was on target sooner).

I will say too that we did have our plan reviewed by out attorney before providing it to them. Frankly, I don't know if the insurer ever read it. They just thanked us for sending it and checked it off their list.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote