Nice Halvorsens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2015

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
57 foot Halvorsen
Hi All thought I would share these photo's I took of some Halvorsens off Sydney early one morning

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 166
Rusty,
Varnishing is fun. It's the sanding to not like.

Most look like slicers. I like the sun visor on #2.

Great pics. 2&3 are typical of boats which could have been in Halvorsens large charter fleet during their heyday. It is a joy to see these boats out on the water in regular use by enthusiast owners.

Another great Halvorsen

this one belongs to a friend of mine, she is 51 feet in length.

Attachments

• Diversion.jpg
    Diversion.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 261
One Halvorsen in a life time is two too many :nonono: O the stories O the upkeep O the $$$

I will put that post down to all the hot weather we have been having.

A couple of pics of a Halvorsen lower helm station

Attachments

• wooden boats12 033.jpg
    wooden boats12 033.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 166
  • wooden boats12 034.jpg
    wooden boats12 034.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 211
I will put that post down to all the hot weather we have been having.

A couple of pics of a Halvorsen lower helm station

Andy have you ever owned a Halvo ?
Our second boat was a timber Halvorsen I dont remember a month go by without putting more money into a black hole. They are a lovely boat but not for the faint hearted . After 4 years and $$$$$ we got less than 1/2 what we put into her including purchase price .

God bless fiberglass :hide:

Let`s distinguish between a wooden Halvorsen and a fibreglass Halvorsen Island Gypsy. As an IG owner,I admire wooden Halvorsens and the resolve of their owners in maintaining them, but I have no plan to own one.

Let`s distinguish between a wooden Halvorsen and a fibreglass Halvorsen Island Gypsy. As an IG owner,I admire wooden Halvorsens and the resolve of their owners in maintaining them, but I have no plan to own one.

Well there a argument at the wooden boat show a Halvorsen inst a
Halvorsen if it isn't timber .:angel:

Well there a argument at the wooden boat show a Halvorsen inst a
Halvorsen if it isn't timber .:angel:
I don`t doubt that. The Halvorsen Club would only accept us as "associate" members, prohibiting us rafting up at events, though we could anchor "nearby". We passed on joining.
Our boat was designed by Harvey Halvorsen and built by Kong & Halvorsen. It is interchangeably referred to by the boating fraternity as a Halvorsen, and as an Island Gypsy.

Andy have you ever owned a Halvo ?
Our second boat was a timber Halvorsen I dont remember a month go by without putting more money into a black hole. They are a lovely boat but not for the faint hearted . After 4 years and $$$$$ we got less than 1/2 what we put into her including purchase price .

God bless fiberglass :hide:

Gaston, to answer your question, no I have never owned a Halvo, though did come close once , couldn't agree on price. Still & all it would be a sad day if the intrepid woodies out there were left to rot away leaving us with nothing but the fiberglass replicas to admire.

BTW my first glass boat was a similar experience to your Halvo, so it is not just the wood that can do you down.

Bruce: I agree, in my experience we IG owners are very much seen as the poorer cousin, illegitimate at that.

The annual wooden boat show at RMYC (October?)features plenty of wooden Halvos. The every second year Classic and Wooden Boat Festival is on 15-17 April at Darling Harbour/Cockle Bay,Sydney. Free entry,it featured many Halvos last time, and for a couple of $ we had a 1 hour cruise on the historic steam launch Lady Hopetoun.
I have good, though slightly nervous(petrol/gas engines) memories of chartering Halvos from Halvorsen at Bobbin Head, so it`s good to see the well kept examples of enthusiastic owners. Some of these boats were built in the 1950s,some may be earlier, keeping them nice is no easy or inexpensive task, I applaud the owners.

this one belongs to a friend of mine, she is 51 feet in length.

That boat looks spec-friggin'-tacular! Is there one on the market that would allow shots of the interior? Liberty, I thought your boat was the ultimate...but I think you risk being displaced! What a beaut!

That boat looks spec-friggin'-tacular! Is there one on the market that would allow shots of the interior? Liberty, I thought your boat was the ultimate...but I think you risk being displaced! What a beaut!

Hi Flywright,

both Liberty and Diversion were built at the same time, by Halvorsen in Hong Kong. The interior although a different lay out to Liberty , is mostly the same details etc. Biggest differences are , the sheer on the lines, Liberty's are flatter by about 10 inches at the bow, I have to admit Diversions sweep in the bow is very sweet to look at. The other major difference is the Enclosed Bridge on Diversion , versus the the open larger bridge on Liberty. The engines are also different Liberty having the larger 3406 cats at 540 hp a side and 14.6 litre displacement, and Diversion having the smaller 3208 cats. Both vessels are fibreglass, Diversion 51 feet and Liberty 56 feet. There are a few others kicking around based on this hull also.

cheers Chris D

Hi Flywright,

both Liberty and Diversion were built at the same time, by Halvorsen in Hong Kong. The interior although a different lay out to Liberty , is mostly the same details etc. Biggest differences are , the sheer on the lines, Liberty's are flatter by about 10 inches at the bow, I have to admit Diversions sweep in the bow is very sweet to look at. The other major difference is the Enclosed Bridge on Diversion , versus the the open larger bridge on Liberty. The engines are also different Liberty having the larger 3406 cats at 540 hp a side and 14.6 litre displacement, and Diversion having the smaller 3208 cats. Both vessels are fibreglass, Diversion 51 feet and Liberty 56 feet. There are a few others kicking around based on this hull also.

cheers Chris D

Well, I'll be! I didn't know you two were related! You have a beautiful sister!

If I see at a distance what could be a Halvorsen, I look at the bow,and for the teak nameboards on the FB sides. Both are distinctive identifiers.
How do we get Diversion to join TF?

Hi Bruce,

yes the forward curve in the bow is always the same for Harvey Halvorsen designed vessels, always a quick reference point.

The Owner of Diversion I don't think would be interested in the forum, he has done an enormous amount of cruising in her up and down the East Coast of Australia, but now just gets out on the water for the social side and enjoys his vessel. I will speak to him soon , back my guess is it not his go.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Liberty, do you have a shot of your Halvy from a similar angle as Diversion's pic?

Hi Flywright,

I will have a look and see what I can find.

Hi Flywright,

this is the best I have. It was Taken in South West Tasmania about 25 miles up the Gordon River in the World heritage area. that grey thing on the bow is a couple of 3 metre kyaks we carry on board.
there are quite a few photo's of Liberty on her profile page, including interior shots.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Attachments

• 2015-03-03 17.04.48.jpg
    2015-03-03 17.04.48.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 130
Hi Flywright,

this shot was taken a couple of weekends ago by a friend on another boat with his phone. We are doing 10 knots in this one. I have just installed a pair of new HF/VHF aerials from Shakespeare 7.3 metres long or 23 feet.

Attachments

• Liberty Pittwater March 2016.jpg
    Liberty Pittwater March 2016.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 114

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom