Dumpster find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
It's amazing what turns up in the dumpster in the yard behind my moorage. I'll bet this stuff is at least 60 years old. Linen gillnets were discontinued in the 1950's. Not sure about "cotton seine web". There's perhaps a dozen or more bundles of this stuff. Very little on the internet about this company.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1458159918.979502.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1458159934.460838.jpg

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I love dumpster diving at my friend's marina, tons of good stuff tossed out there by people too lazy to polish/clean it or take it to the recycle places. Don't spoil the fun (and the loot) for the rest of us! Got a guitar, a Bose stereo, vhf, all work. Yay freebies!!!

Thought seine netting from boats was illegal in most states?

It's only illegal in South Dakota.

If you get in touch with your hippy side (which you must be, hence the dumpster diving) and start supplementing your fuel budget by making 'boom hammocks', I'll buy one!

If you get in touch with your hippy side (which you must be, hence the dumpster diving) and start supplementing your fuel budget by making 'boom hammocks', I'll buy one!

:facepalm: Only hippies dumpster dive?

Reminds me of when my wife lost a valuable ring. She was convinced it went out with the trash. Since we were newlyweds in an apartment at the time, that meant dumpster diving in other's trash! It was one of the worst experiences of my life....and when I got to the bottom of the dumpster, no ring! :banghead:

Two weeks later, that ring appeared in the deep recesses under her driver's seat! It was definitely one of those "for better and for worse" moments!

Last edited:
Catching shrimp bait by net is common here.

Two weeks later, that ring appeared in the crevices under her driver's seat! It was definitely one of those "for better and for worse" moments!

Talk about "hanging in there!"

I want to know what happened in those two long weeks! Replacement ring?

FlyWright; said:
Two weeks later, that ring appeared in the deep recesses under her driver's seat!
More to tell there??? Funny what ends up under those seats, huh?

And what were YOU doing rummaging in the muck for a ring SHE lost?
Oh yeah, you was newlyweds.

I'm guilty. Never know what you might find in a quaity boat yard or marina dumpster. I've gotten two large fenders and an unused life preserver.

Attachments

• don's dumpster.jpg
    don's dumpster.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 114
Taint nutten rong wit pullen sometin wort-while oot o' da dumster!

First time I went to dump garbage in a dumpster (of a new to me marina) there was a really good condition bimini top in it; stainless frame and all! It fit perfectly onto fly bridge of a 31' sedan I'd recently purchased. I figure the used-value was in the 2 to 3 hundred $$ range. :thumb:

Yes - I do keep my eyes open around marina dumpsters. But, the goods best be on top and easily retrievable. I like free-diving in clean water - not dirty-diving in dumpsters! :facepalm:

Larry! I'm shocked and horrified! You've gone way too far this time!
Keep up the good work.

HopCar; said:
Larry! I'm shocked and horrified! You've gone way too far this time!
Hah! You thought he used his photoshop magic didn't you? Well, I tell ya Hoppie, all he used was a selfie stick.

Hawgwash, too much information! I did not want to know that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom