Air Height 430 Aft Cabin Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
We’re in the process on contracting for a previously owned 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin Trawler located in Central NY. We will need to transit the boat to the Albany area via the Erie Canal

As I understand the Erie Canal, we will need to lock through 25 locks on the Erie Canal and one lock on the Seneca Cayuga Canal.

Can anyone tell me what the bridge clearance is in this vessel with the mast down and the bimini up and the bimini down? From what I see on the internet, the mast height is approx. 18’9”. The specification data for this vessel would be very helpful.

Also, we're looking for the latest information on when the Erie Canal will open. Does anyone have any information beyond what is on the canal web site?

JimL

Last edited:
We have a 2005 2005 430 Aft Cabin also. Mainship documentation says 18'8". Our own measurement agrees with that. We went thru the Erie Canal last summer and minimum bridge clearance thru to Oswego is 21'. Don't know about Seneca clearance. NY State Canal System website has all clearances.

We’re in the process on contracting for a previously owned 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin Trawler located in Central NY. We will need to transit the boat to the Albany area via the Erie Canal

As I understand the Erie Canal, we will need to lock through 25 locks on the Erie Canal and one lock on the Seneca Cayuga Canal.

Can anyone tell me what the bridge clearance is in this vessel with the mast down and the bimini up and the bimini down? From what I see on the internet, the mast height is approx. 18’9”. The specification data for this vessel would be very helpful.

Also, we're looking for the latest information on when the Erie Canal will open. Does anyone have any information beyond what is on the canal web site?

JimL

Jim
From your description I'm guessing the boat is on Cayuga Lk

Here is the Bridge Clearance Page from the NY Canal Website -
I believe your constraint will be below Lock 24 (at Mile172.36 Bridge E-78, Syracuse St, SR 48 18.80 clearance at normal water)
Best to check w/ Lk 24 local master re water levels near the time you are transiting - storms can (and do) create fluctuations and temp closings of canal sections.

NY Canal Lock Phone # List

The worst section tends to be through Montezuma (from C-S 1 to E-24)
Last yr Cayuga to Lk 24 was closed for several weeks early in the season - long term forecasts are for a similar spring Wx pattern due to el nino patterns.

Normal canal opening is the first wk in May - it doesn't look like they have 2016 date posted yet - this depends on Wx & water levels and is sometimes delayed. Also, beware that early season frequently has a large amount of floating hazards if there has been high water...frequently a delay of a few days / 1 wk can make a significant difference in water & debris levels.

My website (signature link) has a section on cruising notes that includes info on the section you are planning on covering.
Any additional questions - feel free to ask away and/or PM me.

You can sign up for email or txt Notice to Mariners on the NY Canal website - not a bad idea if you are planning / underway as a way to stay up to date on canal status.

Last edited:
Thanks Temptation and Don. Don I like the info you have on your site and the links - thanks.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom