Riddle over 'mummified' body of adventurer found in abandoned yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to know the path that thing has been on for the last few years.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Mummified at sea? Exposed in a cabin that is awash? I'm tempted to call bullshit.

Ambrose Bierce: “Good-bye ……. It beats old age, disease or falling down the cellar stairs.”

Mummified at sea? Exposed in a cabin that is awash? I'm tempted to call bullshit.

Who said the cabin was "awash"?

In the photo the body appears to be inside.

As to the body dessicating, I would assume the salt in the air would aid that process. I mean stuff dries out on a beach pretty well.

Last edited:
What's the alternative, that he was mummified elsewhere and then placed in the yacht? From the looks of him, he's pretty brittle, I can't imagine someone set him like that after he was mummified. Whatever we can or can't say about the cause of death, the mummification part seems beyond debate.

Sounded like the awash part was relatively recent. The dismasting occurred quite a while before according to one interview I saw from the fisherman. I would have to agree. If I have to go, let me slip aweigh.......

If this is legit, I don't think he died doing what he enjoyed. He was at the radio. I don't think it a stretch to speculate he was trying to find help.

If this is legit, I don't think he died doing what he enjoyed. He was at the radio. I don't think it a stretch to speculate he was trying to find help.

Well, there yah go...there's always someone who refuses to let truth stand in the way of a good story - and the opposite... :D

Outward appearance looks like he died sitting there.. either in his sleep or felt bad ( heart or other issue ) and needed to rest and died. Might of been something else.. but as long as he doesn't show signs of trauma .. who cares.
The amazing thing is the boat floated around that long and nobody saw it.
I could see so local islander boarding and getting totally freaked and leaving and never looking back.

HOLLYWOOD

Now I see what you mean about "awash". The first photos I saw did not show the vessel in that state.

I'm assuming the dessicating took place before the boat got in that condition.

I guess we will have to wait for the movie to find out the truth.

There was a news report this week that says a sail boat in a race found the adrift boat at the end of January. The report is pretty bad in that they mention the boat being found off of the PI AND near Guam. Kinda hard to be in both places. Since the race boat called the USCG I would guess they found the boat near Guam.

Video shows yacht team finding Manfred Fritz Bajorat's boat off the Philippines | Daily Mail Online

One of the crew swam to the adrift boat and found the dead captain. The crewman wore a video camera that recorded the swim to the boat and what the crewman did onboard. You can't see the captain in the video link but when the crewman looks below you can see water sloshing around. You can't see the dead captain in the video, and I don't speak French, but you could tell when the crewman saw the dead captain. :eek:

From the video, it looks like the boat had been adrift for quite some time. Amazing it was still afloat.

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom