How many are too many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ Borman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Athena
Vessel Make
41 Roughwater
I have a family outing come up on the boat and don't want to leave any one out, but am concerned about over loading the boat. The boat is 41 ft x 13ft single diesel and looking at 12 people on board. What do you think.

What does the coast guard sticker say for capacity?

just my opinion, but I don't see 12 people being a safety issue. But it will Seem crowed

No stickers for a boat that size usually only 20 and below....and even the loading formula is more for smaller open boats.

Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, boats less than 20 feet powered with an inboard, outboard, or stern drive engine manufactured after November 1, 1972, must display a capacity plate defining the safe load limits. This plate must be mounted where you can see it when preparing to get underway. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are exempt from this standard states do have statutes prohibiting the carriage of people and gear in excess of the stated capacity, or the installation of a motor that exceeds the recommended horse power limit. Also, you may void your insurance policy if you are found to have exceeded the limits stated on your capacity plate.

Boat US - Online Boating Safety Study Guide

How many can you herd at once? Legally, no more than you have life preservers for since you're over the 27 foot length (I think that is the cut-off).

The truth of the matter is How many do you want to be responsible for?

If the weather is nice, and you have enough certified PFDs for everyone on board, it shouldn't be a problem. If the weather is poor, wet, cold (ie typical for us this time of year) it could be a bit crowded inside. If you have a full enclosure behind your saloon, then it wouldn't be so bad.

This assumes of course that your family all get along, don't drink too much, and have good personal hygiene habits. ;-)

How many can you herd at once? Legally, no more than you have life preservers for since you're over the 27 foot length (I think that is the cut-off).

The truth of the matter is How many do you want to be responsible for?
??????????.... no matter what size vessel.... you have to have preservers for all on board and they have to be the correct size and type for the activity. There is no "cutoff" that I know of.

If I recall my boating class correctly, Boats 27' and less has a capacity plate not to be exceeded, above that, they assume you're smart enough to know what it can handle.

As the captain, you're responsible for them, so you decide.

What will be the ratio of children to adults? Children need lots of supervision.

No children just adults, short ride on protected waters.

If I recall my boating class correctly, Boats 27' and less has a capacity plate not to be exceeded, above that, they assume you're smart enough to know what it can handle.

As the captain, you're responsible for them, so you decide.

20 feet....post #4 has a reference...

I think its very reasonable to consider this question. I mean, nobody wants to put guests and their boat in danger. Every year I have a bunch of friends from work on my boat. We stay in the river unless its VERY calm outside and even then we only go out about a mile just to give everybody a look around. Someone asked me if I was worried about it being too many people. In my case, it was about 14 adults and 2 children (or less). The children always wear life jackets and I certainly had proper life jackets for all others on board. The total extra load in people was like 1/2 my fuel load. My boat is about 30,000lbs and frankly I couldn't tell the difference. We have plenty of room on the boat and people were spread out all over the place so it never felt crowded. I'm not familiar with a 41 Roughwater, but 12 doesn't sound like a problem.

Ken

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with your boat either, but did go look at photos of several. I'd ask the additional question and that is can you comfortably seat 12 people? Can you seat them all under cover?

We've (35-by-13 foot, 14-ton trawler) had eleven aboard, including five children counting one in uterus. No problem since the mother constantly monitored her children, and yes, the children wore PDFs, and we've high, solid railings.

The passenger ratings are a puzzle, to say the least. I've had 11 on my 21 foot, flat-bottom skiff. The skiff is rated for 14 passengers!

Assuming 200 lbs. per passenger, you're looking at 2400 lbs. of "cargo". That's less than the fuel load on most 41 foot boats. I can't see that 2400 lbs. would jeopardize the safety or stability of a 41 foot boat.

Maybe if the 12 form a cheerleader's pyramid while standing on the outboard edge of the flybridge? While the boat makes a hard-over turn at speed?

I have a family outing come up on the boat and don't want to leave any one out, but am concerned about over loading the boat. The boat is 41 ft x 13ft single diesel and looking at 12 people on board. What do you think.

We've had 12 people inside the cabin for a cocktail party once. Standing room only and we were tied to the dock. I''m sure I've seen your boat before. Do you keep it at BYC?

Docked doesn't (hardly) count.

Thanks every one great input. I thought I would be ok but wanted to bounce it of everyone.

FWIW, under Queensland regs, my 34' & 9 tonne (= ~ 20000b) CHB is rated for 12 passengers, with a max of 3 up on the flybridge at one time.

How Many on A 41 Roughwater

We did a family cruise last summer on out 41 Roughwater in the BC Gulf Islands with 4 adults and 3 kids under 8. It was a busy but manageable boat during the days. An night every berth was occupied with 2 sleeping in the Salon and I slept in the pilot house. We could of slept 2 more on the aft deck is we had a air mattress. As long as you are all good friends it,s manageable.

Peter,
Don't forget there are daytime and over night numbers. I think you are quoting the day time passenger carrying capabilities..
Can't refer to mine at present but when I get home should be able to clear that up.

I always work on the number of bunks, and some kids can sleep 2 in a bunk.
I have a fill cushion for the saloon table but have never used it and don't want to.
I think 6 up for any period of time is max for me on my 50ft.
Visitors are like fish , they go off after about 3 days.

At anchor and not underway, Bay Pelican holds an annual wine tasting party in Martinique each year. A Krogen 42 is 42 x 15 feet with an open aft deck and an upper deck. We normally have thirty plus people. Big issue is normally tying up all the dinghies.

But then the French don't seem to count PFDs.

By my estimate we could have an additional ten people.

Would not take such a group underway as there would be no way for everyone to hold on if we rolled or pitched.

Our sleep capacity is five, but it has never exceeded two. Daysail occupancy has been up to ten. No problem.

Back
Top Bottom